Thread: Need advice. Buying 2nd body. 5Dii or 50D?

Question Need advice. Buying 2nd body. 5Dii or 50D?

Floyd, Ray, Cory, Eric, Sierra, Jim, Eddie, etc... need some help guys.

Looking for a 2nd body. Got a 40D now. Looking at a 5Dii or a 50D. My main interest is landscape. I mostly use a tripod, shutter release, ISO 100, etc.. Is the 5Dii going to produce much better images than the 50D (or my 40D)? I have 10-22, 24-105, and 100-400 lenses. Might pick up a 17-40 if I go FF. If not, will use 10-22 and 24-105 on my new 50D. I will keep 40D on my 1.4TC and 100-400 for wildlife. Looking for a new set up for landscapes only. Looks like about a $1500 difference in price between these two options. I read about the IQ being better, more "pop", etc.. but I am not a techie type. Hell, to be honest guys, I don't even know what this "pop" is, what causes it, and certainly don't know how to quantify it. I just photograph what pleases my eye. PP skills are very basic. Looking for some input from some more knowledgable folks than I. Is it worth the extra dough to jump to FF?

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I had an older (12MP) 5D for a short while, and compared it to images from my (10MP) 40D and (15MP) 50D. Printing at 8x10" I couldn't tell the difference, but with larger prints I could. At 13x19" the 40D/50D prints were still very nice; just not as nice as the 5D prints. I could also tell the difference between the 40D and 50D prints of the same size. The difference, while noticeable in each case, was never all that substantial. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

Where the 5D really shined was at high ISO. It could use 3200 ISO with hardly any loss of quality, and the 40D/50D files looked about as clean at 1000 or 1200 or so.

All that to say, the 5DII is reported be be even better in both resolution and high ISO noise control. For just scenic shots in decent light, high ISO doesn't mean much, and you only realize the resolution increase. A 7D (or even a 50D) will get you most of that, so it may not be worth it to you. Again, I'm sure others will disagree. -- I'm sure Floyd will.

Two things kept me from keeping the 5D. First, it was large and heavy, and with a 24-70 f/2.8L it was a real beast. Second was the money. I would have to pay for not only the 5D body, but a couple new lenses too, as I use a 10-22 and 17-55 that are both EF-S lenses that don't fit full frame cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    All that to say, the 5DII is reported be be even better in both resolution and high ISO noise control. For just scenic shots in decent light, high ISO doesn't mean much, and you only realize the resolution increase. A 7D (or even a 50D) will get you most of that, so it may not be worth it to you. Again, I'm sure others will disagree. -- I'm sure Floyd will.
    Donno 'bout that. :-)

The 7D at maybe $700 lower cost, is one heck of a camera that is in some ways better than the 5DII. I'm not at all sure, and only Dan can determine, if he would really find a full frame camera any more useful than a cropped sensor camera. From what Dan has said, he's not into techie stuff for the sake of techie stuff (which I very much am). Dan might, near as I can tell, never use much of the facility provided by higher end cameras like the 5DII. He's the kind of guy who buys a camera to match his artistic interests rather than the other way around. I pick up a camera to explore every possible thing it can do just to use the technology. That's a very significant difference that hugely affects the way we should look at cameras.

I just did a search on eBay for "canon body" and looked at price tags. A 5DII is over $2200 new, while a 7D is down there at $1450 new. For typical landscapes, and particularly given Dan's existing lens collection, the 7D looks extremely good. It's maybe $500 over a 50D, but there the difference in image quality is well worth the cost, while I'm not sure that adding that much more cost is worth it with the 5DII.

Kinda depends though... because there is a lot more to high end cameras than just the simple stuff. High end cameras are always vastly nicer, at least for a techie, to use. I do things with a D3S that I couldn't do with a D3... never mind comparing that to an entry level Nikon model.

In fact, something I noticed searching eBay that Dan might want to look into is the cost of a used Canon 1Ds is right at $1000. That is an 11.1 MP full frame camera at a price that competes with the 50D. I don't remember how high an ISO it can use with good results, but I recall it was significantly higher than the Nikon D2X (which tops out at about ISO 800). Personally I'd go with a used D2X today rather than anything short of the Canon 7D or 5DII, even if I had a collection of Canon glass. But then I'd go with a Canon 1Ds rather than any entry level Nikon too... But those may not be good choices for Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Floyd, Ray, Cory, Eric, Sierra, Jim, Eddie, etc... need some help guys.

Looking for a 2nd body. Got a 40D now. Looking at a 5Dii or a 50D. My main interest is landscape. I mostly use a tripod, shutter release, ISO 100, etc.. Is the 5Dii going to produce much better images than the 50D (or my 40D)? I have 10-22, 24-105, and 100-400 lenses. Might pick up a 17-40 if I go FF. If not, will use 10-22 and 24-105 on my new 50D. I will keep 40D on my 1.4TC and 100-400 for wildlife. Looking for a new set up for landscapes only. Looks like about a $1500 difference in price between these two options. I read about the IQ being better, more "pop", etc.. but I am not a techie type. Hell, to be honest guys, I don't even know what this "pop" is, what causes it, and certainly don't know how to quantify it. I just photograph what pleases my eye. PP skills are very basic. Looking for some input from some more knowledgable folks than I. Is it worth the extra dough to jump to FF?

Dan
    The 40D is too close to the 50D to make a difference. Now, a 7D is a step up from both the 40D and 50D. I imagine that the 50D will be replaced with a newer model, and the 7D maybe a year or more from now (don't really know).

All I can tell you is what I would do if I had the extra cash for cameras: keep the 40D I have now, and buy a FF body such as the 5DII. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon does not replace the 5DII within a year, at which time I could probably buy one from somebody who wants the latest toy, and maybe save some cash. I would use a 5D mainly for landscapes and portraits (photos of people in general), and the 40D for birds and wildlife at a distance. But them, most of my photos are of landscapes. I also realize that camera bodies lose value when the newest body hits the market, so I just buy a body and don't look back. That's something you will have to think about. Besides, i don't think the 5DII's value will drop that much since there are so many people looking for this camera.

Lets say that you have a 5DII and focus the lens on a person's face. What a FF camera does is that is provides a shallower DOF, which in turn blurs the background even more than the 40 or 50D.

There are some photo comparisons between the 7D and the 5DII in here:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=856258

The 5DII is an amazing camera for landscapes, portraits, and even birds, while the 7D is a better camera for things that move fast (sports, birds in flight, and such).

Thanks for the input Ray.

Bought a 5D Mark II two days ago

Will keep the 40D for wildlife and use the 5D Mark II on landscapes. Looking forward to giving her a try soon. Heading to a remote USFS cabin in SE Alaska on May 6th. Thanks for your input. As a side note, anyone looking for a 5D Mark II, shoot me a PM. I found a way to buy it for $2161 shipped. Brand new factory sealed (non-gray market) item from brick and mortar store of 20+ years that is a Canon authorized dealer. 100% legit.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

As a side note, anyone looking for a 5D Mark II, shoot me a PM. I found a way to buy it for $2161 shipped. Brand new factory sealed (non-gray market) item from brick and mortar store of 20+ years that is a Canon authorized dealer. 100% legit.
    -Dan
    any deals available on the 7D?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the input Ray.

Bought a 5D Mark II two days ago

Will keep the 40D for wildlife and use the 5D Mark II on landscapes. Looking forward to giving her a try soon. Heading to a remote USFS cabin in SE Alaska on May 6th. Thanks for your input. As a side note, anyone looking for a 5D Mark II, shoot me a PM. I found a way to buy it for $2161 shipped. Brand new factory sealed (non-gray market) item from brick and mortar store of 20+ years that is a Canon authorized dealer. 100% legit.

-Dan
    Congratulations! I already thought that you would go for it since you seemed to be leaning in that direction. It's an amazing camera, specially after getting such a good deal. Practice with your family members (portraits and such) in the shade, and early morning/late afternoon sun. A lot of photographers use the 5DII for studio photography.

Isn't the 10-22 lens EF-S? If so, it may not work well with the 5DII, but there are a whole bunch of EF "L" lenses for you to pick from. Your pockets are the limit, but once you see the results you will start dreaming "L," some of which can be rented in some places (don't know if this is possible in Alaska).

You will need a good flash for it, or at least for the 40D How about a 580 EX II's price at the place you bought the 5DII?

As for lenses, take a look at the ones below. Primes can be cheaper, and around 28mm are quite wide on the 5DII for landscapes. The 17-40L is not too expensive and quite nice for landscapes since you want to close the aperture around f/11 or more:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=141406

Thanks Ray, I always appreciate your input. I have the 10-22 but will sell it most likely and pick up a 17-40. Been wanting that lens for a year now. A matter of when, not if at this point. I agree 100% on "L" glass. I have the 24-105 and 100-400. Having started with the 28-135 kit lens, I can really appeciate the quality and performance of the L lenses. I also have the 100 f/2.8 macro and it is absolutely superb. Tull777 kept showing me macro shots and I finally had to have one myself. Amazing lens. For the 5D Mark II, I will be shooting landscapes with the 17-40 and 24-105. The 40D will be used with the 100-400 for wildlife and at times I will throw the Canon 1.4x TC on it as well as situations dictate. For the 100 f/2.8 & m14 flash ring, not sure what body to use for macro. Either way, I am looking forward to getting some landscapes with the 5D Mark II. Inspiring landscape images I saw here, other photog forums like you linked above, magazines, etc.. is the only reason I got a dslr in the first place. I said, "I want to capture images like that". Looking forward to seeing how the new camera plays into the realization of said goal.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    any deals available on the 7D?

Yes!

$1454 the way I got mine

$1699 at B&H Photo

The way I got my camera, Ebay "buy it now" using Paypal and Bing cashback, you can get the 7D body for $1454 shipped. The item number is 200462213667 on Ebay. The seller is Cameta Camera and they have 7 packages with lenses as well if you don't want just the body. This is a brick and mortar store that is a Canon authorized dealer. I researched this extensively before paying them over 2 grand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_Digital.html

8% will be taken off the below Ebay listing if you follow the directions in the link below it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Below you can read exactly how I got the deal on my 5D Mark II.

Read post 9 and 17 in the below forum link....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=857872

PM me if you have any questions.

-Dan

Thanks Ray, I always appreciate your input. I have the 10-22 but will sell it most likely and pick up a 17-40. Been wanting that lens for a year now. A matter of when, not if at this point. I agree 100% on "L" glass. I have the 24-105 and 100-400. Having started with the 28-135 kit lens, I can really appeciate the quality and performance of the L lenses. I also have the 100 f/2.8 macro and it is absolutely superb. Tull777 kept showing me macro shots and I finally had to have one myself. Amazing lens. For the 5D Mark II, I will be shooting landscapes with the 17-40 and 24-105. The 40D will be used with the 100-400 for wildlife and at times I will throw the Canon 1.4x TC on it as well as situations dictate. For the 100 f/2.8 & m14 flash ring, not sure what body to use for macro. Either way, I am looking forward to getting some landscapes with the 5D Mark II. Inspiring landscape images I saw here, other photog forums like you linked above, magazines, etc.. is the only reason I got a dslr in the first place. I said, "I want to capture images like that". Looking forward to seeing how the new camera plays into the realization of said goal.

-Dan
    I just don't know... I was looking at some of your beautiful landscapes with the 40D. In my view you will be quite dangerous with the 5D

The 10-20 should sell fast enough, I imagine. I too have a 100mm Macro, which on the 5D should be quite nice for the occasional portrait, but I have no idea of if it's well-matched for macro photography on the 5D (?).

I use the following lenses with my 40D:
    -EF 400mm f/5.6L
    -EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    -EF 200mm f/2.8L USM II
    -Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    -Tokina 12-24mm f/4 for landscapes, closed from f/11 to f/22 sometimes

I could not use the last two lenses on a 5D, however. But I could use the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (no IS) for dog races around Fairbanks, since there is plenty of daylight. I plan to buy this lens in the near future, since it's a jewel of a lens and only costs around $600.00.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    In my view you will be quite dangerous with the 5D

Aw shucks.... Your too kind. Ha ha.. I am quite an admirer of your work so that is appreciated. Nice lens collection Ray. Looked at the 400 myself before getting the 100-400. That is the great thing about Canon, so many options when it comes to lenses.

-Dan

8% will be taken off the below Ebay listing if you follow the directions in the link below it...
    thanks for the info....the last link is no good but I'll search that forum and see if I can find the thread....

dan might not be the only one with a new camera soon....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

PM me your email address and I will send it to you. Also, if you search the last 2-3 days worth of threads on the Cameras forum there, you will see one I started about "Bought a 5D Mark II 5 minutes ago for $2161....". That is the thread with the links and info in it about how to get the good price. Post #9 and #17 specifically. Should be easy to find, but if not, shoot me a PM.

-Dan

Hey Dan, sorry I did not see this sooner. I have been away from the photo forums for a while. I think you made the right decision though. I currently shoot the 5DII and the 7D and that is the perfect combination for me and everything I shoot. They are both terrific camera's for what they are designed for and compliment each other perfectly. Looking forward to seeing the shots with your new body!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page