Thread: Rhino clutch

Default Rhino clutch

I have an 08 700 rhino. I put on a set of 27" mud lites, should I put a clutch kit in it or shouldn't I.
    And how hard is it to do this myself? How about the seal on the clutch cover is that hard to reseal. People tell me that it would make a real big difference is that true?
    Thanks for your help.
    Big Daddy

Default Clutch

You could just put some lighter weights in the clutch and a new secondary spring, that should give you some more zip back. If you want more low end power and are willing to sacrafice some top speed then you could add a shim to the primary.

Palmer, AK

You have several options. You don't "need" to do a clutch kit but you can. There are so many mods out there for the Rhino clutches it can be confusing. You can do a standard clutch upgrade, lighter weights, stiffer springs, machined sheave, machined clutch plate, shim mod (1mm - 2.5mm), etc. You also have the option of going greaseless or greased clutch. Like I said, it gets confusing. Everything is a trade off so to get something on one end most of the time you need to sacrifice something on the other end.

Here is a link showing what is required to take the clutch apart. It's old information but the tranny has not changed so the information is still good. It will give you an idea of what is involved.

Here are some other links that you might want to look at. These links are to a Grizzly forum that I help run but the Grizzly/Rhino motor/tranny are the same so the information is accurate. Just keep in mind that results vary from Grizzly to Rhino due to the weight differences.

If you want more information do a search on Grizzly Central. The link to the main index page is in my signature.

Additionally, check out for clutch advice and parts. Todd (the owner of Hunterworks) is probably the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to Rhino information. Check out the "tech." articles on his page and forum. If you can't find what you are looking for as far as information goes, give him a call. He is great to talk to!

He lives in Mississippi so think about the time difference.

Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS

Fairbanks Alaska

Don't Be Afraid To Do It, It Is Pretty Simple To Do The Biggest Problem Is The One Way Bearing It Has To Be Right, But Once You Do It You Will Be Amazed How Easy It Is Me I Have Tracks On Mine. I Put In All The Heavy Duty Stuff I'm Not Looking For Speed But Low End Tourque

Thanks guys for the info, I think im going to buy one and try it out.
    It cant hurt that bad.

clutch kits help but by far my biggest improvements came from a cam and dual exhaust, but niether of those are real inexpensive. have fun and good luck