Thread: Are Coleman red canoes any good?

Default Are Coleman red canoes any good?

Got a lead on a red coleman canoe, 16 or 17 footer.

Would need to weld the center support, but for the price it may very well be worth it if it is a good starter canoe. That is if the repair is not difficult or impossible.

Looking for a canoe for lakes and the canoe trails. Just wondering if these Colemans are a decent boat or not.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I have one that must be 20 years old they are OK. Mine is pretty stable but very sluggish. They are also hard to patch. If you are thinking just a starter they would fine. Mine has been a starter since about 1989 or 1990.
    Chuck

Default Colemans

the colemans are tough canoes, they are not fast, and they are a little heavy, ( the one you are looking at probably 85 lbs). and they are great play boats.
    in 2000 I bought about 8 colemans from walmart in anchorage for $299 bucks, that included the car top carrier and paddles.
    the price is over $400 bucks now for a Pelican ( the replacement for a coleman), and they do not come with any car top carrier or paddles..
    If you are not paying more than $150 to a few hundred bucks and it does not leak,its a good enough deal for a starter canoe..
    I have lots of parts for Colemans in my piles of used up canoe parts. If you need a bar or upright I have something in the bin that will work if you don't want to pay to have it welded..
    For Free if you get down my way in Sterling..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

So $100 is a good deal then? Got more detail on the repair and it should be really easy to fix. My father in law is a pretty good welder and I am sure I can talk him into donating 10 minutes of his time.

The boat has been sitting idle for several years and will need to have the cottonwood sap cleaned off it. Hard to tell if the bottom is red or black.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default They're fine

I bought one (red coleman ramx15 I think) that's a little bent from falling off a pop-trailer while the guy was driving down the highway. It still paddles straight. I think I paid $150 and have been really happy with it. Sure, you get what you pay for - but I don't feel I need a top of the line canoe.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Thats Awesome Max

What a great offer Max.It's not too often you hear someone being that helpful.Kudos dude

Well I am the proud owner of a vintage coleman canoe.

Placed an ad on cragslist asking for a cheap canoe and got several offers. Looked at a couple and ended up with a red/orange 17 foot coleman. It is old and ugly but for 80 bucks I will not complain one bit.

So if anyone is wanting to get a cheap canoe, put an ad on CL and see what happens.

Now all I gotta do is buy some paddles and PFD's while waiting for the ice to go out.

Default put them to use

many people have bought canoes over the years and used them for a time and then either moved on to some other recreation or a million other reasons... these offer great opportunities for folks that desire to get into the sport... Canoes made with durable materials such as aluminum, fiberglass and poly or Roylex materials will last for decades and can provide a lifetime of use..
    some canoes we have purchased over the years have had several owners previous to us, we use them and beat them up some more and pass them on to someone else that can enjoy them..
    your idea to advertise on Craigs list is a great idea, and isn't nice to have such a vehicle to reach so many people that may not have even remembered they had the old canoe out in the shed.....
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Yes, CL is a great tool.

This one is pretty old, the oldest we looked at by far. Not sure if you can use the serial numbers to determine the age.

The PFD's and paddles will probably cost more than the boat did.