Thread: drive between anchorage and wasilla...

Default drive between anchorage and wasilla...

We're moving up to AK here around the end of may. Looks like she may get a job in Wasilla and me in Anchorage. If we get a place in Eagle River or somewhere in between, is that drive doable in the winter time? How bad is it?

Very doable, can sometimes take awhile if someone causes a pile up but doesn't happen that often. Also going towards Wasilla in the mornings and returning in afternoon makes for a nice drive, most of the traffic is going the other way.

Very easy commute, Anchorage to ER is paved 2+ lanes each way. Highway is lighted and has moose fences up. ER to Wasilla is paved 2 lanes each way and lighted much of the way. Both directions are 65mph roads. Sure weather or accidents can slow you up just like anywhere in AK. Those roads get very good maintenance. The commute is a non-issue. Welcome to AK.

I've been doing the ER Anchorage commute for 13 years. It's really not that bad, some days your 1/2 hour commute will be 1 1/2 hours, you just take your time. If the roads are bad in the evening either leave early, or get a leisurely dinner in anchorage and peruse a sporting goods stort til about 7pm, then head home. Whatever you do, don't use cruise control, as there will be times when your car starts sliding, take your foot off the gas and let it straighten out.

That said I'm sick of the commute and am planning to move to Anchorage, better things to do with my time then sitting in a car over 1hr a day, on a good day.

I once did the E.R. to Wasilla communt. Talk about a cake walk..all the traffic was going the other way If I were in your situation E.R. or other parts of Chugiak would be on the tope of my list.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If you are a photographer, up here we don't measure in hours or miles per minute on the commute between Wasilla to Anchorage. We measure in snapshots per every 2.1 yards!...Many would agree about that scenic drive along the Chugach mountains!

I say this with out trying to be rude Google earth/map would be a great way to look at the highway

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to get a sense for how the road is in the winter time. My wife will most likely be driving to Wasilla while I'll most likely be driving to Anchorage. I'm more worried about her driving longer distances in the snow and ice.

Get her a subaru with studs (the tires, not a bunch of manly men). They are great for the drive.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Every Day

First, hey welcome. Originally for Redmond OR here. I drive from Wasilla to Anchorage every day. I know that there are a lot of folks that would not do it, but i would not live in Anchorage. Just to big with lots of people. Wasilla is not much better but it is a lot closer to Alaska than Anchorage.

Eagle river is nice but spendy. I found that you would have to sacrifice lot size or house condition to keep the price as low as in Wasilla. If you need further info PM me.

Default Moose...amazing camouflage...

Been driving ER-ANC since 2000. Plenty (you'll see) of folks do it without probs. All the tips about good road, lighting and occasional delays true. Winters worst: Slow down. Black ice: treacherous. Studded snow tires.
    We keep snacks in the car, tank at least 1/2 full and... bladder at least 1/2 empty before the drive home!

Good learning experience last winter - after working nights and in a stretch of highway where I guess there was a street light out (?), the first clue there was a moose in my lane? Shadows of his legs from my headlights. That's effective camouflage. Their hair seems to absorb the light. Not much time to brake - just eased off the gas and eased over onto the paved shoulder... watched my outside mirror miss his nose by inches. My moose awareness has been much better ever since. I've slowed down when it's dark.

Good luck and welcome!

I'll tell you one thing... if you are overly concerned about your wife driving in snow and ice I wouldn't move to Alaska. No matter where you move to, you are going to be driving on snow and ice. She's an adult, she'll figure it out. My wife is an excellent driver, that coupled with a front wheel drive car and studs I don't worry about her at all. Even when she drives the hundred miles to Anchorage in a snow storm.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to get a sense for how the road is in the winter time. My wife will most likely be driving to Wasilla while I'll most likely be driving to Anchorage. I'm more worried about her driving longer distances in the snow and ice.

I keep forgetting that you are on in OR. The snow up here is different than what you are used to. Your snow has a much higher moisture content than ours and cakes onto the roads, which presses the water out making for a very slippery surface.

That is a rare set of conditions up here. It happens about three times a year and catches a lot of people off guard. If they were to just slow down then nothing would happen - no ditch diving.

An all wheel drive car with studs and you are more than prepared for driving conditions. It will then be the other guy you have to watch out for and there are specific sections of road that seem to generate the most problems.