Thread: what happened?

Default what happened?

Basicly, my 2 stroke 30 HP Yamaha was working perfect, then all the sudden during mid commute, the motor reduced rpms and will barely get the boat on step.
    It will onlly run at half power. This happened during the middle of the commute so i cant figure out what could have happened.

My best guess is the problem is Fuel Filter or Carberater related. I have no water/fuel seperater but looks like I probably need one as well.

Is there anything else you would check on? I will be working on this all month if I have to.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm going to guess that something in the fuel delivery department is clogged up and you aren't getting enough gas to the engine. It could be a kink in the fuel line, could be something clogged, could be the vent on the fuel tank is clogged, could be the fuel pump is dieing, etc.

Check your thermostat and make sure it did not overheat and go into limp mode.

Default It's either fuel or electrical

Check that the tank vent is open and unobstructed. If you open the cap and hear a sucking sound it is the tank vent/gas cap. Check that the plug wires are all on tight. Pull the plugs and read them. Are they all the same or is one wet with fuel or discolored. Do they smell like water indicating contaminated gas. Do you have spark on all of them? Check your hose fittings and all of the hose connections to the carbs for leaking. If it's a fuel issue, reading the plugs may tell you what carb to start on. A blocked jet may show as a lean condition on a plug making it whiter than the others. Hope this helps.

Sounds like limp mode to me to. Check oil delivery system, Or sure that you had proper mix of fuel? Wouldn,t be first time, grabbed the wrong can fuel wasn,t mixed?Just checking!! Or water in the fuel? how old was the fuel? You said you didn,t have a water fuel/ seperater, I would get one for sure. How was the pump bulb on the line when all this happining? tight or soft? Drop the float bowl on the carb, Let us Know what you find.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have an oil injected 2 stroke if that makes a difference. This is tough to admit but I ran of oil two weeks ago and the motor made a clank type noise. I promptly pushed the kill switch and everything seemed to be fine after an oil refill.

Hope there is no correlation.

Question

This probably isn't even close, but it might help others with other stuff; My battery connection was not hooked up for my kicker one fine spring, it would crank and acted weird but would not start. Another time the wing nut was loose on one of the battery terminals, motor acted weird.
    Just a thought, sorry I don't have anything more helpful, good luck.
    -Myers

Another possibilty is your neutral indicator switch........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default thanks

Well for now the problem seems to be fixed. Not sure exatly what I did but problem seemed to be outside of the cowling. I took off the fuel line connection and it looked slightly fouled but not too bad. At first nothing happened but another try yielded better results. In short, the rpms would jump up and down sporaticily nearly giving me whiplash. Eventualy, after a 15 minte drive every thing returned to normal. Not sure what I did but atleast this weekends fishing trip is still on!

Thanks for the advice I learned some good stuff!

Just my thought,s Do you have a kicker? Not knowing what you did to fix it, doesn,t give me a warm feeling inside.Especially one that has been run out of oil /clank type of noise If it were mine i would look into it little further.You never mention what the primer bulb did when it act up? Plugs?, top of piston look like.Float bowls, Air bubble in oil system? Water fuel /seperator. Take an another hour or so too check these things, could save you alot of trouble later. I hope for the best for you, and you find nothing else wrong,Good luck on your trip.Just my 2cents worth ok 3cents.

Yeah better put the kicker back on and getter fired up. Actually fishing in a high traffic area close to town with a VHF so not too worried, but its best not to hassle others do to my ignorance. The primer bulb seemed to act normal, I will re-look at the male end of the fuel connecter,
    something did not seem quite right there. Thanks for the warning.

Default oil

my zuki won't go above 2500 rpm (or something like that) in limp mode when the Oil sensors notices low oil.....

but your sounds like a fuel issue if it cleaned up.....