Thread: Elmendorf Storage

Default Elmendorf Storage

Did anyone else get the letter about removing there stuff off the lot? It did say until when, so I called and found out 2015... Yikes now I have to find a new place.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Storage

Hello Gary

I am retired AF but I keep my toys on Fort Rich and I have not reveived any kind of notice that we have to move our toys. Did they give you any reason why they want you to move your toys? The Ft Rich lots are all 24 hour access and most of them are paved. I have keep my stuff out there for the last 10 years. I would be interested in why they want you to move your toys out.

Later
    Moose

Have to do some environmental work that will keep the lot closed until 2015. This is in Vandenberg parking lot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Storage

Check on Fort Rich at their outdoor rec and they might have some spots left.

Later
    Moose

They said as soon as spots come open on other lots we would get a call
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm retired also, and I've NEVER been able to get the lovely ladies to give me the time of day when inquiring about storage lots on Ft. Rich. They've told me the waiting list is so long for active duty that they don't even keep a list of retirees. So I got a buddy with a large lot to store both my boat and my RV every winter. In exchange, he goes fishing with me any time (actually serves as junior assistant deputy deckhand! ), and I deliver a bottle of fine bourbon about once a month to his house, which of course he then invites me to partake to help reduce his bourbon stockpile!

I've kept our travel trailer out at Ft Rich for the past year or so, and it only took me a month to get a spot to open up. One thing to keep in mind is that a large majority of guys that store toys there will clear their spots come May or July and opt to store them in their driveway for free. This will be your time to possibly swoop in and snag an available spot. Around August each year, there's a mad rush of people trying to get spots for winter storage, at which time the waiting list gets hopelessly long again.

On a side note, don't let them give you a corner lot. I got one for my camper thinking it was nice not having stuff all around me. Wrong! It turned out that the snow plow guys shoved everything up to my trailer, making it impossible to pull out. At this rate, I'll be able to pull it out in mid-July after the 4 ft glacier melts...
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the Vandenburg lot is the one next to DRMO they been in the process of closing it for a couple of years based upon finding some serious contaminants in the dirt. They moved us last year and it worked up pretty good as we went from a 30 foot spot to a 40. Picked up another spot earlier this year as well. But we have a spot at Ft Richardson and there swipe card system to get in the gate is easier than Elmendorfs.
    Pretty easy to get a spot (or at least it was), just walk in there office with check book in hand and offer to pay for a year in advance. We are retired, not active duty
    Tennessee

They told us as spots come open to what we have( I have a pull through) they will contact us.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have 4 acres outside of Wasilla. It will cost ya a few fishing trips
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I have 4 acres outside of Wasilla. It will cost ya a few fishing trips
    Ummm, this might be to good to pass up
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK