Thread: Low Sulfur Diesel Sellers

Default Low Sulfur Diesel Sellers

Does anybody know where to purchase low sulfur diesel instead of "ultra low sulfur" diesel. I have heard that the ultra low sulfur diesel is not as good for engines as the diesel fuel with higher levels of sulfur. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Does anybody know where to purchase low sulfur diesel instead of "ultra low sulfur" diesel. I have heard that the ultra low sulfur diesel is not as good for engines as the diesel fuel with higher levels of sulfur. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    go get a couple hundred gallon fuel trailer and buy stove oil, its got the most sulfur and lubricates better plus it burns better w/ less soot. oh and its a dollar cheaper than the crooks charge at the pump for vehicle or marine diesel

Default Penny wise, pound foolish.

I don't know what engine you are running, but I will tell you what happened to me using heating diesel . I have a 2005 Seasport Pilothouse with a KAD 43 in it. I had open access to as much of the "heating" fuel as I wanted for less than $2.00 a gallon. I started using it in my 2006 truck, but was still using additive. The truck ran fine, and I had no problems. I decided to try it in my boat. It holds 160 gallons. Wow, I was ready to save some money! I have two 80 gallon tanks. I added it to the empty one. I went out fishing, used up the pump diesel, switched to the heating oil tank and had major power loss.The boat ideled OK, but barely had enough power to get on step. While trying to run back to Seward the motor was lugging to stay on plane. I ended up spinning a hub on the front prop, which in turn pushed itself forward and ground thru the zinc, and into the housing of the lower unit. CR*P!!!!! There went all of my savings! I think that because of the low torque needed on the truck, every thing was fine. But, the KAD is a high H.P.high reving engine, and the fuel is not formulated to meet the need. I think if I were using it in a low HP slower turning diesel, it may have had no problems. I was fortunate to be able to fix the outdrive myself, so I was only out about $500. I now continue to use pump diesel and put additive in faithfully.

All fuel oil is is #1 diesel that doesn't have the super low sulfur content the EPA imposes on highway engines. I hardly think it was your fuel that toasted your outdrive lol

Well actually, I am wanting to use this in my 05 duramax.. I am not fond of all the additives and filtering processes that pump gas/diesel goes through. It has to have detrimental effects on the engine bearings, injectors, power, and lifetime... i want to use the higher sulfur levels to prolong the life of my engine. is heating oil still ok to use?

Two stroke oil is a good additive and not too expensive. Just put a quart in every time you fill up.

It is illegal to use heating oil for road use, though it's not likely that you will get ticketed up here.

Default Soundfisher

I am a little confused.

How would the fuel oil cause you to spin the hub? If you are not getting the torque then the prop isn't digging as hard nor spinning as fast. Seems just the opposite Higher speed/ torque to spin the hub.

I know people that run it in thier trucks just fine, They add the atf every tank (I have a friend who adds it to pump fuel as it helps keeps his injectors from sticking in his 01 Duramax) I have also heard that the Canadian Border guys do spot checks to see if the diesel in your tanks is the right color If it is clear heating fuel or fuel with tranny fluid they fine you.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

It's not the sulfer that provides lubricity. So as far as being good or bad for your engine, sulfer content doesn't matter. It just happens that as they refine the diesel to make it ultra low in sulfer, that process also ends up removing some of the lubricity. At least that's what I've read.

I'm just glad we're not forced to buy gasoline with ethanol in it up here. My boat wouldn't like it.