Thread: Don't know where your hunt is or access ? MAPS here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Don't know where your hunt is or access ? MAPS here

each hunt number is listed here with the unit/zone for that hunt and some of the restrictions for getting there...

good luck all

Vince

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gmuinfo&gmu=20

..whoops thats only unit 20.....select new GMU tab for other units
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Those are only Unit 20 hunts though Vince.

If you go here:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...fg=hunting.gmu

and then select the management unit your hunt is in on the map, you can then click the "Hunt Maps by Species" tab, and that will give you the maps for each Registration, Draw, and Tier hunts in the specific unit.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i said that
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Was Nice but kinda of sad.

Nice of you Vince to post the link for maps. But I think that if a person puts in for a drawing they should have already had an idea of were it is at. And the planning it takes to do the hunt. I spent a lot of time deciding on which hunts to put in for. ALong with the planning for each hunt if i was so fortunate to draw one which I was. For the most part now its just waiting till the season opens. And smoothing some of the finer details. Ex. whose place i am going to crash at before the season and after the season. In-law's or buddys?
    The biggest desicion maker was logistics. Since I am unable to afford a flyout on top of a plane ticket. There for I didn't but in for hunts that required that. So looked for easy foot access. I believe if alot of people considered the logistic of a hunt less people would apply and less tickets go to waste.
    Alittle bit of rant after a long day. Sure this had been touched on before but theres my .02 as everyone says.

Isn't this something the winners should know already? You shouldn't have to lead them by the hand. Flame on.....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Isn't this something the winners should know already? You shouldn't have to lead them by the hand. Flame on.....
    Not necessarily. I know I put in for a hunt that I knew the general area of the hunt and did research on the unit before I put in for it. Now that I've drawn the tag though, I've pulled the more detailed maps to determine the exact boundary lines of the unit. When I put in for it, I did not necessarily write down that the eastern boundary was 'X creek', or that it meandered along 'Y mountains,' etc. I understand the frustration of some here when it seems like every once in awhile someone posts something like "I drew moose tag XYZ, is that near Juneau or Kotzebue"? But those are pretty rare posts. Getting the exact details of boundary lines is not necessarily something one would do before hand. Yet it is extremely important. If you don't believe me, just ask Jeff King.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Agree cpmpletely

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Not necessarily. I know I put in for a hunt that I knew the general area of the hunt and did research on the unit before I put in for it. Now that I've drawn the tag though, I've pulled the more detailed maps to determine the exact boundary lines of the unit. When I put in for it, I did not necessarily write down that the eastern boundary was 'X creek', or that it meandered along 'Y mountains,' etc. I understand the frustration of some here when it seems like every once in awhile someone posts something like "I drew moose tag XYZ, is that near Juneau or Kotzebue"? But those are pretty rare posts. Getting the exact details of boundary lines is not necessarily something one would do before hand. Yet it is extremely important. If you don't believe me, just ask Jeff King.
    At least know the area or unit the hunt is in before applying but why would you plan completely for a hunt before you know you are going on it? That would be a lot of wasted time especially for those who drew nothing. Isn't that the reason everyone was in such an uproar to get the results out at soon as possible; so, we could start planning and becoming more familiar with the hunts we are granted permission to go on.

I guess we all do it differently, before I put in for a draw tag I check the boundaries and access points to make sure it's something that I can do. There are so many threads out there now asking about hunts and areas it's pretty apparent that most, not all but most, didn't do their homework before applying. I know most must think i'm jealous or pissed about not drawing but in all seriousness, I am not upset at all about not drawing. I've drawn a fair number of tags over the last few years so I have no room to complain and even if i did, it wouldn't do me any good.

Thanks for the information Vince. It is a good resource if needed down the line.

Keep in mind folks that if it were not for all those who put in for, and win occasionally, hunts that they know nothing about and can't end up hunting, there would be far fewer permits available each year. Those numbers are factored in. If everyone always hunted every permit that came out, the success rates would be much higher and the number of available permits would have to be cut drastically to account for it (they want the set number of animals taken, whether it is 100% success or 5% success on a hunt).

A good example would be the DC001 (Kenai Mountain Caribou) hunt. 250 people get a permit, yet the targeted take is something in the single digits if I recall correctly. Based on past results, they know that a good number either won't hunt or won't put nearly enough effort in to be successful, thus they know they can give out a lot more permits. If only those who knew the area and knew what they were getting in for applied, yes you would have fewer people in the "hat" for the drawing, but you would also have much fewer available permits, making your odds about the same either way.

HEY, winners, don't forget to check your Game Management Unit restrictions and mark your maps..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

It is not, NOT KNOWING where the hunt is but access to it i get asked the most... take DC827 for instance.. 20A is HUGE most folks look at that and say OH REX trail... when really the bou only live in one corner of 20A and 13E they have not made the Rex trail since they killed them off in 92&93 that herd went from 10,000 or so animals to about 2500 now. and as for helping or holding hands? i posted the F&G web site stuff.. nothing new there if you know where to look.. but each hunt has a boundary and restrictions in that boundry... Look at all the CUA and management areas in unit 20... some places you DONT JUST wanna run out there with a wheeler for sake of having it sold at the trooper auction. many of the tags out in the center of 20A are easy to get due to the difficulty in getting there, so they give out extras to encourage folks to head in there by plane or boat.. these maps give little more then a jumping off point. and 4.5 months to get ready to jump

meet on face book here

Default What if...

What if hunters were open to giving advice for sake of simply working together? Could you imagine how embarassing it would be to ask a fellow fisherman how to tie a particular knot or what's all the fuss over 'flicking' only to be ridiculed for not doing your homework. Hunters have enough enemies looking for us to screw-up. If we want to preserve our rights than the experienced hunters should be ready to aide their fellow hunter. No need to give away the secret honey-hole but at least be supportive of others that may not be as experienced. There are ways to help others see that they need to work harder at planning and preparing for a hunt without making them sorry they ever asked a question.
    I am a perfect example of an inexperienced AK hunter who has made mistakes at every turn. I have learned the hard way that hunting experience anywhere other than Alaska really isn't that useful. Alaska probably has more experienced hunters than any other state. We should be able to claim that our hunters are the most prepared and effective at putting down game. Yet, that will never be the case in the current environment. Asking for advice is not a sign of ignorance or laziness. There will always be some sloppy hunters, but I honestly believe that most hunters new to AK want to do it right. You can allow them to continue to wander around blindly searching forums, reading some general tips in books and scouring maps with limited experience. Or you can help your fellow hunter by encouraging them to ask questions and remind them of the common pitfalls for a particular hunt or species. If they keep making mistakes that might leave more game available for the experienced hunter but it also fuels the fires of the liberal, anti-hunters just looking for excuses to put us out of the field. Your choice
    Keith