Thread: Apple trees from Costco

Default Apple trees from Costco

We purchased a couple apple trees from Costco today.

Can you recommend how long they can stay in the bag they came in?

Should we temporarily put them in a bucket with soil until the snow is gone and the ground is thawed?

I'm not sure how long they can go without water. They seem to be in some type of saw dust and are already blooming.

Thanks

If they are leafing out then you will need to water them. The bucket might be a good idea as it will probably be a while before you will be able to put it in the ground. I might line the bucket with burlap or something so you can easily remove the tree from the bucket come planting time. and be sure the bucket has drainage and cut away your liner when you plant the tree.

On another note I would be sure to not plant the tree in frozen ground.

I planted 4 last year, two of which were planted in frozen ground. Oddly enough, they produced the most apples of the bunch.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

well I could be wrong. I have only planted 1 in frozen ground, it died and the others lived.

The only thing I can add to this, is be sure to put a cage around them ALL year! Moose LOVE apple trees...especially the Costco ones!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Moose

Is there any other possible way to deter moose? It sort of defeats the purpose of having a beautiful tree when there's an ugly fence laced up the entire tree. I'd rather not plant a tree that has to have garbage on it, it's ridiculous.
    Marc Theiler

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    Is there any other possible way to deter moose? It sort of defeats the purpose of having a beautiful tree when there's an ugly fence laced up the entire tree. I'd rather not plant a tree that has to have garbage on it, it's ridiculous.

well thats not very alaskan of you.
    Semper Fi!

Yes. There is a concoction that you can spray on them called plantskydd. It's supposed to be very effective for 6 months per application, and it is not harmful stuff.

Lowenfels writes about it at this link.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    well thats not very alaskan of you.

Yeah, there's plenty of things "Alaskan" that I am grateful I don't participate in. I don't have Tyvek siding on my house. I don't have crap in my yard, no cars, tires, etc. There's other stuff as well, but I don't want to offend too many folks. Let's just say the gene pool is a bit shallow up here.

Anyway, there must be a good way to deal with the moose, because hanging a bunch of garbage on a tree negates the reason to have the tree in the first place.
    Marc Theiler

Yeah, there's plenty of things "Alaskan" that I am grateful I don't participate in. I don't have Tyvek siding on my house. I don't have crap in my yard, no cars, tires, etc. There's other stuff as well, but I don't want to offend too many folks. Let's just say the gene pool is a bit shallow up here.

Anyway, there must be a good way to deal with the moose, because hanging a bunch of garbage on a tree negates the reason to have the tree in the first place.

you could stack a buncha worn out truck tires around it so the moose cant get to it.
    Semper Fi!

We have tried this product with no success. Two years in a row we had attempted to plant Apple trees, one year we tried the spray, the next year we tried the granular......Needless to say we gave up on trees moose like....

We have used CD's with some success, good old CD's hung from fishing line on your trees. Theory is, is that they don't like them flashing in the sun. But again, they can be unsightly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yes. There is a concoction that you can spray on them called plantskydd. It's supposed to be very effective for 6 months per application, and it is not harmful stuff.

Lowenfels writes about it at this link.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

just put a picture of a apple tree on your lawn. wait a second, theres no such thing as a lawn in the valley.
    Semper Fi!

As many moose as we have around here, they'd eat the photo of the tree!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    just put a picture of a apple tree on your lawn. wait a second, theres no such thing as a lawn in the valley.

if you live with moose apple trees require a fence. a real one. no sense in the investment otherwise. really to garden in moose country you need a fence. I think 6 ft minimum but really 8 ft. is what you want.

plantskyd has to be applied in the fall before it freezes up, and just doesn't last very long. It is unreliable. A fence is the only reliable way to protect plants that moose like unless you can manage to plant them in places that moose can't/don't get to. much easier said than done. They can smell good tasting trees from a long ways away. This time of year is popular and then they will eat the ripe apples a day before you are ready to pick them if your trees are so lucky as to bear fruit.

For much of the summer they may not be a problem but your trees will get hit spring and fall once a moose finds them and it will make the work you put into your trees very frustrating.

We only had problems with moose in the winter. once the vegitation leaves out we haven't had any problems till fall. But that probably depend on where you live.

If a moose gets after my apples then I'll be making a midnight gut pile run somewhere

Kidding, of course (well, kinda)
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Wow, you come on here asking for help and then start trashing Alaskan's?

I suppose it all depends on why you are planting the apple trees. If it's for food then the price is the fence to be able to eat it. If you're not interested in the food value then a different pretty tree that moose don't like is probably the best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Wow, you come on here asking for help and then start trashing Alaskan's?
    Ahhh don't get too sensitive on me there...it's ok... I am sorry many Alaskans deserve to get trashed, take one flight over the Kenai Peninsula and take a look at how people live and if you don't think some folks need to find a little pride in what they have, then perhaps you are one of them. Oohh, by the way I am Alaskan, it would just be nice to see more Alaskans have a little pride in what they have, you don't have to be financially well off to have some class and pride.

By the way, your knives are beautiful, nice work.
    Marc Theiler