Thread: Where to anchor overnight outside of Seward

Default Where to anchor overnight outside of Seward

I was wondering where most people typically anchor and stay overnight outside of Seward, not too far out from Ressurection Bay. Or do most people go out of Seward for day trips and stay in the harbor?

Seward is not as easy as some. Thumb Cove is popular, but with traffic can rock the boat. Humpy Cove is a little farther, but never anchored up there, heard a rocky bottom???
    Not much around Reard Island, did once between sandspit and main island, there is a ship half way down beach 30 yards out sunk.
    Anchoring maybe easy in many places but exposed to the open ocean, heck we tryed one calm beautiful night out in front of Bear Glacier, was ok but very open if the weather had changed, but loved the crashing surf.

there are lots of places to anchor around that area.

-Agnes Cove is very protected and the last week of June through the first couple weeks of July you can catch silver all night long

-Aialik has a lot of areas too like three hole bay, coleman bay, and bear cove.

there are plenty more areas, but those are close to Seward.
    Boatless

Default Buy this book .....

Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords (Paperback) by David Wm. Miller

It's the closest thing to the PWS Cruising guide that I'm aware of and does a decent job describing the anchorages of the North Coast.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords (Paperback) by David Wm. Miller

It's the closest thing to the PWS Cruising guide that I'm aware of and does a decent job describing the anchorages of the North Coast.

Dave
    Good advice, Dave. My favorite in close to Seward but far enough away is Bowen Anchorage in Day Harbor. I also like Coleman Bay around the cape in Aalik, Taz Basin, and the various nooks and coves by Granite Island. Got a real itching to go far? There is no place like Thunder Bay in my opinion. But in Resurrection Bay, Halibut Cove, Sunny Cove, Mary's Bay, Agnes Bay, and of course Thumb Cove are good fair weather choices too. Agnes is good fishing as already noted, but you need 600 feet (or more) of anchor line to get the right scope to sleep well as it is way deep. I stayed in Little Johnstone Bay last year during great weather and it was fine, but I'd be a little tenative over that way as it is false protection and a long run for real cover. The fishing out of Seward can be tremendous if you can find the right spots. I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Question Johnstone Bay anchorage

Does anyone know if Johnstone Bay has good cover when the wind and waves are lapping in from the Gulf? Know what kind of bottom is in there? Maybe mud?

Default Johnston Bay...

Gary B,

The only way I would stay there is if i knew it was going to be "perfect", very perfect. In the bay area itself you have some good rip tides that you'll need to watch out for but if the wind kicks up, your 20 miles from any cover. My wife and I enjoyed a great trip two years ago there and saw the winds kicking up and we enjoyed 13' to 15' seas all the way back to the cape. Won't do it again if I can help it.

Good luck.
    Tony

Default taz basin?

I would like to try Taz Basin... I have been told by one that holding anchor was no problem, but also saw online from a person stating that the holding ground is poor as it is "all granite".

Anyone have success anchoring in Taz Basin?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Does anyone know if Johnstone Bay has good cover when the wind and waves are lapping in from the Gulf? Know what kind of bottom is in there? Maybe mud?
    I wouldn't attempt anchoring in Johnstone or Whidbey Bays. Neither is too far from Driftwood Bay, Safety Cove, or Killer Bay. All of these offer enough protection from the prevailing swells. Having woke up to 10 ft cappers in Day Harbor despite a favorable forecast makes me always seek good cover.

In the bay I like Sunny Cove, but getting the anchor to stick can be a trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post

Anyone have success anchoring in Taz Basin?
    Anchored in there more times than I can count back when I lived in Seward. Never had an issue getting the anchor to set.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Anchored in there more times than I can count back when I lived in Seward. Never had an issue getting the anchor to set.
    Me either. Right in the center of Taz Basin there is stinky black mud with really good holding power that is gross if you ask me.....It's the getting in and out that you might have to wait for.....

When I stayed in Little Jonhstone Bay it was nearly flat for 2 days, clear skies, and warm high pressure weather. Even in this high pressure weather there was some swell sometimes in the bay that was annoying. I would not set the hook and get comfortable in Johnstone or Little Johnstone as they are not really protected at all. Johnstone is especially bad as it has a relentless crashing surf, tide rips, and shallow waters that accentuate the swell from the gulf.

Little Johnstone is somewhat better, but it is only a matter of time before conditions erode there too as conditions worsen and the waves wrap their way around the bay. Neither Johnstone or Little Johnstone are good anchorages if you really plan on getting any sleep even in light weather in my opinion and if you do, be ready to go at any time....

However, If you just go east around Cape Junken there is a very nice anchorage in Goat Harbor that is well protected with some good shore camping. The fishing is very good too. But, then again, just as with Taz Basin, you could be spending a good deal of time there too as while the anchorage is good and you are well protected, there really is no escape route when a storm moves in. You are essentially stuck.....