Thread: Maps and DM 333

Default Maps and DM 333

Where can one buy good maps at in Anchorage? I was drawn for DM 333, the map they have on the fish and game web site is horrible. My un greatful buddy took off to Hawaii with his family for a vacation. So I do not have access to his maps he has. I will need one anyhow pretty hard to lug his computer around with all the maps LOL. I just want to start planning some scouting trips into the area mainly for acces points I know of two one coming in off the Glenn around Lake Louise (if I remember right) and another coming off of the Denali hwy. Also does anyone know where Fish and game has thier grid coordiantes for units like DM333 so one can plug them into a GPS. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Where can one buy good maps at in Anchorage? I was drawn for DM 333, the map they have on the fish and game web site is horrible. My un greatful buddy took off to Hawaii with his family for a vacation. So I do not have access to his maps he has. I will need one anyhow pretty hard to lug his computer around with all the maps LOL. I just want to start planning some scouting trips into the area mainly for acces points I know of two one coming in off the Glenn around Lake Louise (if I remember right) and another coming off of the Denali hwy. Also does anyone know where Fish and game has thier grid coordiantes for units like DM333 so one can plug them into a GPS. Thanks!
    I can't help with finding a good map other than just using Google Earth and drawing in the boundaries. The boundaries for that hunt are the creeks/rivers, so you aren't likely going to find "grid" coordinates that you could put in a GPS.

It would be a lot of work to access from the Lake Louise area for that hunt unless you are using a fly-in service from there. Via water, you would have to go down the Tyone, up the Su, then up the Maclaren and then you might not even get to the hunt area (not familiar with the upper Maclaren area). Looks like the closest access points would be from the Richardson, then maybe from the Denali.

Default water access?

I also drew 333 and scoping it out now. Are there any lakes out there large enough for a 180 on floats?

Default Maps

The USGS has a store on the APU campus. REI sells maps but their selection is limited and they will "harumph" if they suspect you're going hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    The USGS has a store on the APU campus. REI sells maps but their selection is limited and they will "harumph" if they suspect you're going hunting.
    Hmmm, never had that reaction at REI regarding hunting. They sell tons of hunting gear there so you would think it would be in there interest to encourage the activity. As with most places though, there are bound to be some who don't agree with various activities, so I guess I could have just gotten the "other" ones.

REI has the custom topo map stand. Just use the computer to set the boundaries of the area you want, and hit "print."

You can overlay the hunt unit boundaries using the software they have. I don't think they'll show DM333, but will show 13A, 13B, etc.

If you haven't found it already: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/maps/.../pdf/dm333.pdf

Default Oh Yea?

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Hmmm, never had that reaction at REI regarding hunting. They sell tons of hunting gear there so you would think it would be in there interest to encourage the activity. As with most places though, there are bound to be some who don't agree with various activities, so I guess I could have just gotten the "other" ones.
    They sell camping gear. Walk in there one day grab a clerk and loudly say
    "Where in the heck are your conibear and leg type traps??? I got's me some killing to do"

I did not do this but saw someone who did. He was joking of course, I mean for the trqaps, he knew they didn't have anything there but he is a trapper. The shock value was worth the dirty looks from everyone.

The only way I see getting into the unit unless you can cross the West fork Gulkana River or the Gulkana itself on 4 wheelers. So the only point I see is coming from the west side of Dickey lake off the Denali hwy if you were to use a 4 wheeler...

will send a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    They sell camping gear. Walk in there one day grab a clerk and loudly say
    "Where in the heck are your conibear and leg type traps??? I got's me some killing to do"

I did not do this but saw someone who did. He was joking of course, I mean for the trqaps, he knew they didn't have anything there but he is a trapper. The shock value was worth the dirty looks from everyone.
    Well, 95% of my hunting gear is also "camping" gear. Tents, sleeping bags, freeze-dried food, binoculars, spotting scopes, water jugs, and everything else other than maybe a little cammo and the guns/ammo.

Maybe I don't get the kind of reactions you get because I don't make a big deal out of it. I see no benefit to being obnoxious or making statements like what you suggested just to look for the reaction. Most of a the reactions you get from things like that, you will get even at places like Sportsmans Warehouse.

I also drew this hunt. I am going to try to get away from the restricted hunters. Although i have never been to this unit i would have to imagine that would be away from the Gulkana

Wow this thread almost a yr old lol... Anyhow there will be plenty of folks back there to keep you company even after you cross the middle fork... At one point at least 70 trucks in the swede lake trail parking lot...

I have access to the paper maps you need i will get them out to you this week or Friday for sure

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Same here. I think some guys tend to stereotype REI folks as a bunch of greenies who hate hunters without having any firsthand experience with them. I've been buying stuff from them for over 30 years in Seattle, Berkeley and here, with never a hint of any type of disapproval.

I think most of the anomosity comes from the fact REI has been known to endorse and support anti-hunting clubs and organizations.

Buy a copy of Topo, make maps of AK the size you want, can also import into a slide as an image and make boundaries routes etc...or load routes made in topo to your GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    I think most of the anomosity comes from the fact REI has been known to endorse and support anti-hunting clubs and organizations.
    Really? Hadn't heard that. Can you supply details? Thanks.

That would be great!