Thread: Mt Goat hunting in Southeast

Default Mt Goat hunting in Southeast

What are some good areas for mt Goat hunting in SE?

Looking to do a fall hunt, trying to figure out my options....

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post

Looking to do a fall hunt, trying to figure out my options....
    Try the Misty Fiords and/or give Muskeg a jingle.

When I was a flight mechanic in the Coast Guard out of Sitka, we sure saw a lot of Mtn Goats around Sitka on our flights..

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    There are good Mt Goat areas all the way from Juneau to Portland Canal on the mainland. East of Petersburg up the Stikine is rarely hunted as is SE of Wrangell ... lots of lakes to choose from.

The Misty if probably one of the most hunted areas in SE but still there is a large area to choose from in all of Unit 1a ....

The better weather is in the norther panhandle and the farther you get south the weather becomes more of a factor.

Default Weather

Ya....here in Sitka we get like 5 less inches per year in rain then Ketchikan. That just might happen on your goat hunt if your lucky

A cloud is a cloud and sometimes it moves like a cloud. Often though......it never moves.

There are goats on Baranof and the Mainland. Rev. island has em too by permit.

Come on over and climb some hills. Look at the map of the island find a lake with 4k peaks nearby and start climbing and glassing. There is a good population here on Baranof.

hehe...I guess I should've narrowed it down a bit. I'm looking for mainly in the Juneau area - Can be within a short floatplane ride from Juneau...

I shot my goat over in the Chilkats north of Endicott River. I can provide the details. Short skiff ride out of Echo.

You can hunt north of Eagle River. There is a route up Yankee Basin that will take you up on a ridge. A guy took a 10"+ billy there a few years back.

There are a couple of alpine lakes in Berners you can fly into.

Tracy and Speel Arms hold a good number of goats too.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I shot my goat over in the Chilkats north of Endicott River. I can provide the details. Short skiff ride out of Echo.

You can hunt north of Eagle River. There is a route up Yankee Basin that will take you up on a ridge. A guy took a 10"+ billy there a few years back.

There are a couple of alpine lakes in Berners you can fly into.

Tracy and Speel Arms hold a good number of goats too.
    PM inbound to you...

Default Boat or fly in?

I took a 9 1/2 in late Nov with a full coat. Awesome hunt and not too difficult. Ward Air does some fly ins, but weather is a factor. If you are interested in horns, then it doesn't matter when u go. If you are looking for a trophy mount, the later the better because the hide is thick. I have some info about Tracy Arm and some from the road system out the road. PM me if interested.

So, I'm looking at doing a fly-out now. We're looking at Dorothy lake, Tear Drop Lake, or Antler Lake.

Anyone have any info about those?

Default Never Hunted

I've never hunted tear-drop but I've flown over it plenty. There's always lots of goats hanging around that lake. When I first read your request that's the place I was thinking if you were interested in a fly-in hunt.

Its also the cheapest to fly to.

I'd never heard about it till a few days ago. I've only seen one picture of the area and it did look quite promising..

My Goat obsession continues.

I've got a new 7mm AM that needs to kill somthing. Still working up loads though...

I've been chasing goats in this area for years, and have been vexed at every turn. Two years ago I hunted Icefall Lake. Saw goats every day, but not a one accessible or stalk-able. That lake is plain scary.
    Hunted the big unnamed lake in the back of Berners Bay four years ago. Perfect weather for 6 days. Never saw a goat, just lots of ptarmigan.
    Hunted (or rather tried) the Yankee Basin area twice, only to have the Mother Of All Clouds descend on us for the duration.
    I spent 5 horrendous days south of Wrangle at Tyee lake. Saw one lone billy the only day we could see more then 50 yards, ...on the other side of the lake.
    I've also hunted the area above Echo cove. Saw over 2 dozen goats that day,...on the other side of Sawmill Creek!
    Antler Lake has goats, to be sure. Problem is, it doesn't open 'till October 1. Many years you can't get in there, and Ward doesn't like going in there that late. You can get frozen in.
    GOOD LUCK!

Default Ouch

Viking......Ouch!

Don't worry man....I got one tied up here on Baranof for ya. Come in on the 5 o'clock we'll have it to your taxi by noon the next day.

Default If you're going to hunt out of Juneau

I'd go to one of the units that's open in September. The weather is usually better, and you have a lot more daylight. I would think the hides will be nearly as good. I've hunted near Juneau in October but the short days and ice fog can really make it difficult to find 'em.

I may just take you up on that! The above are only the ones I could stomach recalling!
    Something about those goats that just have me cursed.