Thread: Browning BLR 338 winmag

Default Browning BLR 338 winmag

I noticed the new stainless Browning BLR is being offered in 338 winmag with a synthetic stock, I'm hoping they also chamber the blued models as well. This would certainly be a handy quick action rifle for bear and moose!!

Cool Question

Are you sure that the BLR is being offered in 338 WIN. Mag. or is it 338 Federal ? The .338 Win. Mag. is a long action caliber which shouldn't fit in the short action BLR. Unless Browning has come out with a long action version.

Talking Sorry

I just finished looking at Brownings website and the DO offer the 338 Win Mag in a BLR. Sorry,I was thinking of the steel framed version of old, us old timers have brain fade sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I just finished looking at Brownings website and the DO offer the 338 Win Mag in a BLR. Sorry,I was thinking of the steel framed version of old, us old timers have brain fade sometimes.

I cant find that and there are no used 338 win mag BLR's around. Strange.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Yup BLR comes in a long action, been around ten years or more now I think . . . the new ones also come in take down versions. The new ones donít feel near as slick in action as my older ones though, they may slick right up for all I know but out of the box they feel full of rocks to me.

My old 308 BLR was bad to stick fired cases then you have no leverage in the cam to extract them, a chamber polish fixed that. For that reason I have stayed away from long actions, I figure there is more friction surface there that could make extraction harder when itís already too hard. Maybe they have it all figured out, I donít know, just my own feelings on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip-CO View Post
    I cant find that and there are no used 338 win mag BLR's around. Strange.
    I donít find it ether, BAR yes but BLR no. I would ether go 358 Win or 450 Marlin (I'd want the Marlin in a Marlin) for bear medicine if it was me, ether should be all youíd need at bad breath range and should hunt well to 150 yards. Iíd stay well away from the WSM stuff in a BLR, they are tricky to feed and extract so I wouldnít want them in a rifle without good extraction leverage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Once had a 300 win mag in a BLR rebarreled to a 358 Norma Mag

I'd love to have one of those....the .358 Norma is my favorite cartridge. And I love lever guns even though I find the BLR a bit "homely".

The long action BLRs aren't as silky as the short action chamberings. I have fired the 325WSM in a BLR and it was stout but cycled smooth and I couldn't imagine any issues. Mine is a 358Win and it's very nice. I haven't seen the BLR listed in 338WM before so I believe, if so, it is a new offering. It isn't listed on Browning's site.

I have fired both the older steel and the newer aluminum receivers and the only difference I've noticed is the better magazine fit with the newer versions. My uncle has a .308, 1970, Belgian manu that shoots exceptional. His son has a '81 Steel receiver in .243 that has killed many whitetails and pronghorn and the 325WSM Lightweight.