Thread: Moose Hunt

Default Moose Hunt

2 of us from MI are spending a month in 2011: drive to Alaska, hunt moose in Delta junction-Fairbanks area and fish. We appreciate any info on doing an affordable hunt. We are both experienced and are interested in a "do it yourself" hunt for moose.,
    Thanks for any info.

Wally28 and Pine

Wally,
    My son and I are doing a fly-in DIY hunt this fall, driving up from Kansas. We will be hunting in 20E, which is a little north and east of Delta Junction. Upon our return, I will be happy to give you some input on what worked/didn't work for us. Get started now in earnest, on research. I've been working on my hunt for over 2 1/2 years. Read every post on this forum and others (Pristine ventures, Accurate Reloading, ect.) about the game you want to hunt, and areas. Prepare yourself mentally for your adventure, and the problems that can arise. Get books by Bartlett, Confer, McElvin, Strahan, and others suggested here, and read them over a couple of times. Research on propper game care, as it will be different in AK than what you do in your home state. I practiced an 3 deer this last fall, by skinning from the back down and quartering them out, instead of just hauling them out whole like I normally would. Practice camping on the weekends and get real familular with your gear. These are all things I have been doing, by sugestion from others on this forum. Very good info here from many knowledgable people. If the hunt is anywhere as fun as the last 2 years of preparation, I'm going to have a blast. Good luck in your preparation. Knute

Default Knute78

That was great advise enjoy the Rep Point!

Default Wally28 & Pine

First let me state that Skandia is not in Michigan it is in Someplace Special!!!!! I guess your about ready to go pick morals and fiddle heads and getting ready for opening day by doing a little fishing on the Silver Lead or Chocolay Rivers eh! Or you have already been fishing Steelies on the Carp or Chocolay eitherway someplace special. Nice time of year back in the U.P. well as long as your not having to plow snow! 17 inches in the Western U.P on Sat ouch! I don't miss it.

Ask questions and be specific. You could also stop in and chat with Rich Ryberg and or Mike they are on US 41 Taxidermy Shop both have been in the area in question huning and Mike has a couple fo trips under his belt they are great people and always willing to share information.

Feel free to give me a shout at any time 907-460-7758 it is my cell and is on 24-7.

Promise won't try to sell you a thing just pass options and information.

Best wishes with your trip and planning

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting.

Default Send Me A PM

I have a couple of ideas that you could try. I have done several float hunts in the Fairbanks area.

I'm also a non-resident. If I don't get back to you immediately - don't worry. I will return your PM.

Phil Stewart

Default Thanks

Thanks Knute, great advice; that is why we are planning now and yes that is an exciting part of the adventure.

Wally

Thanks Moose; we will be in touch. Did you live near Skandia once or are you good at research or both? We had an early spring, temps in the 60"s, snow gone by mid march and then we got "slapped" with a foot last week. In"Yooper Land" it can happen 12 months a year.

Wally

Default Marquette

Called da U.P. home for 20 or so years spent many a day chasing trout from Iron River to the Driggs. Good friend who assisted in turning me into a fly fisherman lived in Skandia spent many a long night feeling my way back to my house 10 miles away. Ah the good old days eh.

:-)

Moose,
    Thanks for the rep. Just trying to return the good will that most have shown me. I'll be making my first trip to AK, and I already know it won't be my last. I have the bug real bad. I just wish it would have come before I reached the ripe ole age of 50. I knew I couldn't afford a guided hunt, and I really didn't want one anyhow. Thats why I started planning 2 years ago. I have been totally consumed with the research. I'll be flown in by 40-Mile Air into 20E. Probably not the best area for quanity, but my research tells me that the possibilty for a good bull is there. Maybe even a bou. Either way, harvesting an animal will not define whether the hunt is successful or not. Just in case, though, I will be pulling a trailer with a couple of old working freezers on it to haul the meat home. Knute

Might I know of this friend from Skandia? Thought no one else knew about the Driggs or the 7mile

Default Little subject but what hey

His name is Ken B. don't want to use his last name on the forum he moved from Skandia to Hermansville about 12 years ago.

Knute 40 mile air runs a first rate business flown with them my-self Sheep hunts. You will have a great hunt as long as the water level holds up or down.

Wow, small world..my god parents dolly and ole are from Scandia and I lived and worked in Hermansville for a while between gigs in Alaska...Bluemoose, your friend moved to Hermansville about the time I left...

Wally, if you make it thru the Susitna Vally shoot me a PM, I'd love to share a beverage and BS..

Small it is, what are their last names. DK Warthog where is your vzalley; we'll take you up on the BS and a beverage or several. We can even import some from the lower 48.

Thanks for all your information; hope to visit you guys when we get "up North"

Wally

Default might check

but I think that you have to draw that 'bou tag......

Hi Wally,

Knute78 gave a great recommendation above - take it from one Michigander to another.

Personally, I'd recommend you buy a copy of "Float Hunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers" by Michael Strahan. Frankly, this book is a source I would rather not give out publicly because it contains a tremendous amount of great information about Alaska, hunting, charters, transportation, care of game meet, processing, equipment, food preparation, rivers, etc. With that said, you are from Michigan and Micheal did give me the source and deserves to be credited for his contributions and extensive work.

IMO the book is well worth double the price and contains some great information and tips most hunters would take 20 years to learn. The layout is well done and it is an easy read - a must have if I was in your position. Alaska is considerably different than Michigan and the most experienced Michigan outdoorsman should brush up on skill sets required for Alaska's game and conditions. Trust me.. been there, done that. While Michael's book is geared more towards river hunters (it includes some rivers in the Fairbanks region which I wanted to research), I think once you secure a copy, you will find it contains more or less everything you will want to consider when planning a hunt. At minimum, it will provide a solid foundation and address a number of items to consider while planning back home.

Besides this book, I'd recommend looking into some good water/wind proof gear starting with fast drying socks.. most whitetail gear doesn't last long in Alaska's woods. If your interested in reviewing Michael's book, here is the link. Buy a copy - it's worth the money.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Thanks to all who have provided much info. Right now I am ordering the book. We have read one book on this topic and are really working on the planning. We are now researching the areas to hunt-thinking of the Fairbanks to Delta Junction location.

Thanks again. getting is at least 1/2 the fun....
    Wally & Pine

Ditto on Michael Strahan's book - awesome resource as I plan my first moose hunting float trip to AK this fall. Also, grew up to the ripe age of 10, before moving away, down the road from Skandia on Foster's Brook. Chasing trout there and in the Chocalay River sent me down a path to become to a fisheries biologist...

Default Delta to Tok

Organizing my research as it growas. I could spend 8 hours a day doing this. Do any of you have thoughts on the Delta Junction to Tok areas? Since my last [post I am digesting Mike Strahan's book and cross referencing it with topo maps.

Default The Moose:

Hi Wally:

Highly recommend contacting the Blue Moose. He is one of the most honest and helpfull persons you will encounter in the Faibanks area. I have rented gear (raft, etc...) from him and he is just an excellant person and resource.

Best of Luck!

RSC Hunter