Thread: Internet

Default Internet

I thought i'd ask you guys and gals one quick question,do you think the internet is putting more pressure on our resourses??????? My personal feeling is that it's way to easy to get info that took years to get before the internet....the best part of the hunt was the leg work,now it's your fingers doing the work....

No one has to join in, if they want to do it the old way. Why I remember when you used to have to actually talk to the game warden to find out the regulations. Now you just have to read a book and be a lawyer.

Angry a quick answer

YES!!!!!
    no doubt about it...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Sheep Man,

In my opinion you hit the nail on the head. The internet and even this forum in particular put a lot of people in the deep bush that never would have gone pre-internet. My guess is that you are quite familiar with the pre-internet ways of gathering information for a wilderness trip. A lot of library time and buying magazines to get state addresses, writing letters, waiting for responses to get more addresses, etc. Send some more letters and wait to receive the information brochures and packets. It was impossible to get all the information you wanted so some of it you just had to make your best self guided guess. This long tedious inexact process prevented many from ever attempting it.

What took months then can now be done in a day by posting on a couple forums. In addition some entrepreneurs are taking at least some of the information gathered from the net and putting it out in books, videos, and seminars. These sources are much more prevalent today than they were in the past. 10 years ago there were much fewer hunters in the remote Alaska bush. Given that there are fewer overall hunters, something has prompted these people to give it a try?

I think this cat is out of the bag forever and now we will all have to change to deal with its consequences. Alaska is severely dealing with hunting pressures as can be seen with just about every other post on this forum. Alaska has its own discussion board on just about every hunting forum.

I might add other forms of technology add to the pressure as well. I am also questioning individuals (self included) concepts of "fair chase" if you are relying on several outer space satellites to provide input to your computer downloaded 3D color graphic GPS, using yet another satellite for your phone just in case the batteries died on your GPS and is no longer providing a way back to your tent, walkie talkies to keep in touch with your partner, and when you're finally ready to close that deal at around 400 yards you whip out your Laser because the distance is so far to the animal that it is difficult to judge. But I digress!

Default info' obtained on the net

yes, no 2 ways about it.

Ed M..........good idea............planning your hunt via the internet shouldn't be "fair"!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink

Yes, it is, but there is no going back. Info. is now available at your fingertips, ex. who to contact , migration routes ect. But it also now allows folks, who elect to live out in the bush any info. they need to help them raise a family via satelite hook up. It seems to be a two edged sword. And like any idea it seems to be turned into a way to make money. What was once free does not stay that way for long. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Yes and no.

The internet makes information gathering easier. There is no doubt about that. However, there is nothing wrong with information sharing over the web and I wholeheartedly support it.

There will always be problems to solve and questions unanswered, regardless of the internet or whatever comes next. People who want to do things the hard way still can do it that way. I still choose the hard way sometimes. But other times, it would be foolish.

A few years ago when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, the first place we went after leaving the doctor's office was to the library to get on the web because we didn't have broadband then. We obtained enough information to help us understand what was going on and we didn't have to pay thousands of dollars for it or use up someone else's time to get the info. Things were such that my wife obtained a full recovery after two surgeries. All of this is to say that you can't praise the internet for one thing and curse it for something else. Like all good things, there is a way to use it and a way abuse it.

As for hunting, the internet helps me make better use of my money and time and those are two things that I never have enough of. Still, I don't think I'm any more inclined to do something that I wouldn't have done before the internet, but I'm more likely to be better prepared. Before the net, I probably would never have met 99.5% of all the hunters I communicate with. The way I see it, learning from others makes the experience richer for all.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Default Key strokes away

Winmag, makes a great point! I too have suffered some serious health issues that the net helped me to make logical and informed decision about.

The positives far outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

I get a kick out of the guy that posts on this forum asking to have his whole hunt planned for him with little effort on his behalf. Most of these post never get a response.

Is this taking away from the meaning of fair chase? I do not think that we have a way of regulating freedom of information or speech, nor should we try and trod down that slippery slope.

Bigmnt

I also agree that there are pro's and cons and the pros (IMO) outweigh the cons.

I'll be more than happy to help someone out but I wont tell them exactly where to go. I'll say something like: stay between these mile markers and there are x amount of trails. I wont tell where the trails are or how far to go in etc. Its just a nudge in the right direction.

I still spend alot of time exploring, I think I enjoy it more than hunting itself. Been spending about the last 6 years exploring the NE part of the state. Found alot of good spots that dont see alot of traffic and is pretty good and others I probably wont go to again.

I'll help out but your gonna have to do some legwork.

man and here i thought it was an unfair advantage with the invetion of the phone, airplanes and books...times sure have changed. remember when it took three months to get a bear hunt on kodiak done and you corresponded by letters that took a month to get there... the ol' timers musta thought letter writing was really an unfair advantage, way of sharing information...
    another issue, just a differnt date.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Rifle

I remember when the rifle was invented, want to talk about technology and how it changed hunting, it made a big difference in brown bear hunting technics. Ok, maybe I was not around then. But changing technology will always change the our views and opinions.
    Terry

Default Yes!!!

very much so