Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry on fishing rods

Default Carry on fishing rods

Just wondering what people are experiencing now for carrying fishing rods on the airlines. How many have you carried on recently, how big, any problems, what airlines, etc. Do you prefer to carry them on or use a tube and check them?

Default Indiscreet...

That has always been my posture in bringing rods on board. I carry as many as five systems/ten sections. With care I interlock them by sliding into eyelets, and then I secure them all with a couple of mini-bungi cords.

In coach, I wait until the bin above me is filled and closed, and then I put them in. On landing, I am the first up to take them out, thus aisle seat selection, always.

In first, I simply head to the wardrobe closet and thread them on a hanger and then cover them with my jacket. I then point this out to the stewardess, who returns it to me before we land.

No tubes, no cases, no breakage, no problems; 22 years worth of carrying as late as 08/2009...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default lenght

Just curious what is you longest single piece?

Default if its cased

treat it as a carry on. it will probably taken from you as you board & placed in cargo, but it will go free. Just make sure you have a good id tag attached to the case.
    Gary

I don't carry rods on planes. PIA concept to me. Good luck putting fishing rods in over head bins. Flights from Florida to Alaska must not be as full as the ones from NC or DC. I am doing good just to get my carry on/backpack in the overhead bin. My fly rods are 4 piece and stored in tubes. I use the cheap green PVC LL Bean tubes as they are lightweight and strong. Spinning rods for wife are Cabelas XML 4 piece pack rods and are stored in their tubes. All this fits in a standard duffle bag of course and goes as checked luggage. Just figured I would throw this suggestion out. As often as you visit Alaska, it may be easy to justify some quality pack rods. The XML rods come in spinning and baitcasting and are top quality. We got the 7' medium action. Up to the task for anything except kings from what I can see. Got 5 of them, 3 spin and 2 baitcast, and have caught tons of silvers/chums and everything smaller on these rods. Paired with a Daiwa SS reel and 14 lb line, this is a pretty sweet set up man. Not your typical pack rod. Food for thought at any rate.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default alaska airlines

I called Alaska Airlines and asked about the fishing rod carry on policy. Website says that rod could exceed size requirements of normal carry on bags as long as it can be safely stowed on the airplane. The Alaska Airlines employee could not tell me just how big it could be. Anyone have any ideas? 5 ft? 6ft? 7ft?

Default FL to AK and back...

High season and my flights are sold out. Shoulder season and my flights are almost sold out. All my break downs are two piece with the longest item the tip of a medium/heavy Ugly Stick at 3' 4.5". Overall, my rod bundle is 3' 6" once all poles are combined, and of course, it's identified with a luggage tag with my business card insert.

This item fits almost every overhead bin I ride, including Delta/Alaska/American/and Era. In the circumstance of a dink connector (and it happens) where the bin is too short, the stewardess always finds a spot for it in the wardrobe closet even if I am in coach.

Era is the most casual. They have let me convey rods up next to my seat and on the floor, and even once had me stuff a bundle behind the seats on the rear of the aircraft.

I don't go for smaller break-aparts in baggage for airline check due to the weight, though I understand the advice given.

I am still looking for advancements in telescopics that improve upon the current buggy whips that are out there. Give me a good one with the right technology and I will purchase it in a heartbeat.

Might I also add the following for all of you in future transit. Spend the money on a quality soft-sided roller that is designed for the overhead bin. That's where you stuff all your reels, cameras, terminals, and anything of wieght save for your fillet knife. They don't weigh it; this is one of your carry-on allotments, so roll with that distinct advantage...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I agree with Bernie. I've taken two piece rods on airplanes routinely. Most overhead bins are large enough for rod sections that are 4-5 feet in length. That allows me to take rods that are 9-10 feet in overall length. Sometimes if the closet is available. If so, rods will fit there too. Never had a problem.

However, if you call the airlines, you can ask for the dimensions of the overhead bin of the aircraft that you will be flying. They've never failed to give me that information. Just keep your rods within those dimension and you'll be okay.

As you can expect, Alaska Airlines has alot of experience with anglers carrying fishing rods. They're summer flights to AK are full of them.......

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Might I also add the following for all of you in future transit. Spend the money on a quality soft-sided roller that is designed for the overhead bin.
    Yeah, everyone uses those and the overhead bins are full of them. Folks are cramming shet in there, pushing and stuggling to make large bags fit, etc... The stewardess often has to close the bin for them in fact. So this is why I am having a hard time understanding you guys putting a bundle of rods in the same bins that are stuffed to the gills with bags. I am certainly happy it works for you, but my experiences have varied greatly from the picture you are painting. Always good to hear different opinions of course.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I have checked...

rod cases as long as 8 foot, and have had a friend check a 10 foot case, on AK Airlines. For carryon, usually a 5 foot case will go into the overhead for carryon.

AK airlines used to NOT charge for a rod case and once i checked a large golf hard-side case on with a gun and bunch of other stuff in it, and it did not count as a piece of checked baggage as it was a sporting item. I believe all that has changed now, and ALL bags are with a fee now...

I put my rods in a tube and attach it with straps and tape to a large duffle bag (that I check) that stores fishing equipment and other gear. I can't see paying for an extra piece of luggage. It's difficult carrying on the jet a large rod case. I only take 2+ piece rods with me to Alaska. I carry on my clothes in a small rolling suitcase and put my reels in a backpack to carry on. I also wear on the plane a rain coat and fleece liner instead of checking it and paying extra.

Default Smart travelers...

It's good to see this exchange of tactics as all of us do the best we can in these trying times of airline travel. I certainly don't see it getting any better now that one of the carriers has popped the cherry and is charging passengers for the carry-on.

Ring the bell at the gateway and TSA are on you like a pack of wolves.
    I don't even travel with toothpaste any more and simply replenish if I'm at a favoarable destination, or pack my entire kit bag into my checked luggage.

Have a nice flight...

Rosenberg/Florida

I do a fair amount (80K miles/yr) of traveling for business, and during the spring/summer/fall bring fishing gear with me to kill time after hours on the road.

Tackle goes in a checked bag, but the rods go in the cabin. I use a tube made out of 3" drain pipe, cut to exactly fit two piece 6'6" rods. The two rods go in socks, then in the tube. I've never had a problem getting the tube in either the overhead bin or in a wardrobe closet. This method has worked on hundreds of segments.

Then again, when flying Alaska Airlines to AK, I do use a full size rod case for some one piece rods. I follow AK's policy for fishing tackle, and don't get any grief at the check-in counter.

Scott

Last year we (4 of us) put our rods (8' 6" two piece rods) in one rod case (Plano Airliner) that was adjusted to 57 inches total length and I carried it on the plane as my carry-on bag. Stuck it in the overhead, it fit fine. Had no problems at all; no questions asked.

ClearCreek

Default Full size one piece rod case

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Thornley View Post

Then again, when flying Alaska Airlines to AK, I do use a full size rod case for some one piece rods. I follow AK's policy for fishing tackle, and don't get any grief at the check-in counter.

Scott
    Scott... Do you carry on the full size case/one piece rods? How long is the case and where do they stow it during the flight?

Thanks

Exclamation Beware of Metal Tubes

Two years ago, I inherited my Grandfather's favorite Sage fly rod (two-piece, 8-weight).

When I checked in at the Alaska Airlines ticket counter in Portland for the return flight to Anchorage, I was informed that the aluminum rod tube was considered a weapon and would not be allowed as carry-on luggage.

Fortunately, I was able to leave it with my brother, who was still parked at the drop-off point outside the terminal. I had a hunch that it might be an issue, so asked him to wait for the "all clear" before departing.

Upon boarding the plane, a stewardess asked me to stuff the sleeved rod in a closet. From that point, the trip was uneventful with the rod arriving safe and sound in Alaska.

Now I just wish I had the courage to use it. Gramps caught a ton of steelhead with it on the Umpqua River, but as family heirloom, I'd hate to break it!

Default Just flew with 11 carry on rods...

Just flew from Eugene, Oregon to Alaska, spending 5 weeks in Yakutat and brought;

2 8'8" casting two piece
    2 9'8' fly rods two piece
    4 9'8' Spin Rods two piece
    1 8'8" spin cast two piece
    1 10' fly rod three piece

All in there stock cloth sleeves electical taped together and added was a bag sleeve to sling over my arm... The rods easily fit in overhead storage or closet in front of plane, security , nor Alaska Airlines / Horizon gave me even a second look.

Default Carry on fishing rods

i have carried the Retractable fishing rods on the plane as carry-on bag. it fit fine. Had no problems at all; no questions asked. Please have a try , good luck~~~

Hey guys I am flying this coming tuesday to spend 3 months in Seward. I was planning on bringing a rode tube with 2 medium spin casting rods (one piece) a heavy bait caster (one piece) then my fly rod and was wondering if you think i should just try and find some 2 piece rods to take with and if i should even bother bringing the heavy baitcaster. Thanks for the info.

Default My rod tubes?

Reading the posts I think my rod tube will fit. 8.5ft rod in 2 pieces. Does anyone know actual lenght of the over head bin on a Airbus A319. I'm flying Frontier with a new rod, Tube is 54" in lenght. I know my 48" tube fit but don't remember how much extra room was left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast