Thread: Mixing Zones out of Spawning Grounds

Default Mixing Zones out of Spawning Grounds

Another thread recently inquired about where last yearís Mixing Zone issue went. I dug a bit deeper and found out that EPA may be reviewing this regulation change for consistency with the Clean Water Act.

For those that are so inclined to write a to inquire how the State of Alaska can continue to relax water quality protections in the most sensitive waters, one could contact:

Mike Gearheard at

gearheard.mike@epa.gov

or

Mr. Michael Gearheard, Director
    Office of Water and Watersheds
    U.S. EPA Region 10
    1200 6th Ave., OWW-130
    Seattle, WA, 98101

Original letters (need not be long) expressing genuine concern may make a difference in the review. Iíll be sending one in next week.

--

Thanks for the update, Lorax.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Although I had to get annoyed all over again, Iím glad you brought it up Ė thxs doc.

I also heard that the new Govs, ADFG transition team brought the issue up Ė not privy to how that discussion went Ė anyone know?

Lorax, I'm not sure how it panned out with Palin's transition team advice. I think Denby Lloyd being named new ADFG commissioner was indicative of some needed changes in the right direction, especially in the fisheries realm. When he was named commish, THIS EDITORIAL was passed around in the conservation community, and I was impressed with his position on sustainable fisheries and what we need to do to continue to have them.

Thanks for Gearhead's address; I'll send in a letter too.
    Best,