Thread: First time fishing Alaska waters!!!

Default First time fishing Alaska waters!!!

First off like to say great forum, been in Alaska bout three months now and today went out fly fishing for the first time and first time fishing Alaska waters. Was the worst weather possible but could not have had more fun, would definitely like to make fly fishing my new hobby, found a good enthusiast to get me into the sport. Any advice or comments will be great for fishing or beginner fly tying, also struck out on my first fishing excursion.

Congrats. I wasn't a serious angler until I started flyfishing. 3 years, and thousands of dollars later i'm a certified addict.

I guess my best piece of advice is that if you are looking for advice you need to be more specific. Where are you fishing and what are you trying to catch? Most people start fishing dries, but that all depends on where, when, and what.

If you are looking for new stuff to fuel your new addiction, go to the Alaska Fly Fishers' yearly auction at the Millennium Hotel on Spenard. It is on Friday and doors open at 6 pm. Lots of good stuff to be had, great deals on reels, rods, waders, wading boots, fly tying stuff, and some cool trips. And if nothing else you will meet some people who fish Alaska a lot and learn some new things.

$33 well spent...
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=75

$18 also well spent...
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=76

Welcome. My name's Rich and I'm a fellow flyfishaholic. Glad you found the forum and said hello. Sounds like you have the right attitude.

Woodman's right in saying you'll get more info if you make your questions a bit more specific...

Where'd you go fishing?

What type of patterns are you tying up?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Went to Cooper Landing on Upper Kenai. I didn't catch anything but was a good experience, the guy I went with got a nice rainbow and dolly. Not to sure about the type of flies, just getting use to the names. Going out again this weekend hopefully the weather is better.

I was the "guy" he went with, needless to say he definetly has the right attitude, after helping him with his casts he payed very good attention to what i coached him to do, granted the wind was blowing a 100 mph, raining vertically and snowing side ways, he managed to only catch him self 4 times in the back and almost ate the fly once he caught on in a matter of minutes, i took him to purchase his first starter rod. a 9 foot 8wt lamiglas rod and a higher end okuma reel. spooled it up for him and now hes all set and hooked ready to go down there again this weekend. now all he has to do is catch a fish. He already enjoys just going wether or not he catch's anything. Great guy and great attitude you can hitch a ride anytime........ oh yeah he's my neighbor. one last note i dont have all the answers but i know a few,and many of these guys here on the forum have some great tips. Enjoy the forum, pick as many brains and most importantly enjoy the experience and alaska as a whole. oh yeah and dont out fish me just kidding.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Off to a fine start...

Good mentor, good attitude...fears no weather...it's not all about the fish... what's not to like?

I haven't fished with 900fusion but judging from his regular contributions on these forums, you're in good company...and lucky. Rich likewise is wise and wealthy in the ways of fish/flies.

Experiment with the "Search", "Advanced Search", "Google" search of forums.outdoorsdirectory.com... typing in things like "5 wt", "woolly bugger" or "rainbow".

Sometimes I'll search the posts of a particular forum member - some guys/ladies on these forums have been doing their thing a long time and know plenty. You can do this by clicking on the forum member's name too. Have fun exploring.

Most of all, get out there. You'll have all winter to research. Having a mentor is the absolute best thing. Chip in expenses. Make it easy for him to keep at it. Have a great season and welcome.

Mildsauce- I am fairly new to fly fishing as well and picked it up when I arrived up here. It is probably to most addicting thing in this world But, like you, I needed lots of advice and info. There are great threads on here that will help you out greatly, as it did me. ALOT of reading and trial and error and I think I can finally call myself a fly fisher!! It is great you have hooked up with someone who knows what they are doing. I had a ton of people tell me they knew how to fly fish and I would go out with them and I had to show them what to do!! So, watching lots of youtube videos on how to drift, roll cast, tie, mend and find the fish was the key to my sucess so far. To include looking silly learning throwing dry flies at stocked lakes (which is fun by the way even if they are 5 inches when your noob) Just jump into it, there is a TON to learn and great folks on here!! Good luck and tight lines!