Thread: Seward Black Bear hunting

Default Seward Black Bear hunting

When do they start coming out? whats a good method and some good areas to start with? thanks for any help

-Hunter

The most of are black bear sightings are around may 1st through the 31st after that they are way to hard to spot in the new summer growth,after that we wait till the are up high feeding on blue berrys.Yes we have killed them earlyer,but that is because they are open year round [in most areas] and we get a rare chance...who's gona pass a chance on a early bear?

im gonna start goin out south of anchorage here and glassing once every couple of days......

Release Lake Trout

Default Hunting spring black bear in the Seward area...

...what I've experienced, here in the Seward area(around the bay, then up to about mile 18)- is that they start coming out around the 2nd week of May; they stay up fairly high, feeding and fooling around a bit sliding down the snow-
    -have seen a lot of them staying up somewhat in higher elevations, staying clear of the brownies that come out and come down lower; then, they are looking to breed.
    -A bait station approach can bring them down lower, sooner to that location;and also, a place where a good number of boars choose to go after the sows.
    -Seems like OUR bait station, at least, has turned into a daycare- of-sorts for sows and cubs, and adolescent bears though...-lol-
    -Black bear hunting in the Seward area,down in the cover,is kind of hit-and-miss in the spring, until July; you can maybe catch them in the established hiking trails as they criss-cross the trails;

-But my prefered method to hunt them is just getting up above timberline...anywhere in the area....and glassing as they feed, and look for sows...much more visibility;
    -Also, less hikers...
    :Important to note; it's relatively tough to get up above,ascending through the timber (down in this area) and hunting them before first of June due to the deep, decaying snow in places; but then after the end of June, they descend down lower; around that point their hides start to decrease in quality(not that I really care, though; we are primarily meat hunters-)- besides.... the effort is a great way to get ready for sheep season.....

-I see no reason for me to be stingy about this info; we have plenty of black bear; here's the basic info...not to say it's a piece of cake; now, it's now up to you to go find them...
    -Best of luck!

Oh, I forgot....if you have access to a boat, and head out of the bay, you have a decent chance of connecting on a bear using that means, as well....
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default thanks!

Thank you very much for the info! I'm going to college here in Fairbanks but my best friend is going to Avtec in Seward I'm going down the last weekend in april to visit him so i was just looking into the black bear opportunities there it looks like it will be a little early but im thinking we'll go hike around and look never know what could happen. But thanks for the info sheephuntress and everyone it will really help!

Default Black bears on road

I have seen Black Bears on the road over by the chip pile and down by the beach, just driving around. Seem to be plenty of bears around.

Thats good to here! Im excited to get down there and look around

Default Tonsina

Get up into Tonsina creek, but you will have to wait for the snow to go away , then hurry before the leaves come out.. Seward is sweet for blackies..

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterh13 View Post
    Thank you very much for the info! I'm going to college here in Fairbanks but my best friend is going to Avtec in Seward I'm going down the last weekend in april to visit him so i was just looking into the black bear opportunities there it looks like it will be a little early but im thinking we'll go hike around and look never know what could happen. But thanks for the info sheephuntress and everyone it will really help!
    I have a buddy who just graduated from Avtec down in Seward and he was always asking me "man when are you gonna come down and hunt bears with me?" So there must be more than a few around. He said he saw alot last year and a few of his friends got bears.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Abundance alert!

Tips are always good, but I've noticed in my life here in this great state and in my times on this forum, that when people report an abundance, soon there will not be that abundance. Word spreads like wildfire and everybody and their pet dog will be there to help with the harvest. Next thing you know, there will be new limits and restrictions because the resource will have collapsed. And all because of well intentioned people who were intent on sharing the abundance. Remember the story of the passenger pigeon? Does anyone recall the herds of caribou that used to cross the Glenn Highway?

PMs are a great way to share the word somewhat selectively. Just sayin'.

Default Unit 9?

Does anybody know what the story is on Unit 9, the south coast of AK Peninsula, 9A and C, there is a three Bear limit, are they way over abundance there or just hard to find with Browns ruling the area?

I agree PM me with the info, tho it is a pretty hard to access area... Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Tips are always good, but I've noticed in my life here in this great state and in my times on this forum, that when people report an abundance, soon there will not be that abundance. Word spreads like wildfire and everybody and their pet dog will be there to help with the harvest. Next thing you know, there will be new limits and restrictions because the resource will have collapsed. And all because of well intentioned people who were intent on sharing the abundance. Remember the story of the passenger pigeon? Does anyone recall the herds of caribou that used to cross the Glenn Highway?

PMs are a great way to share the word somewhat selectively. Just sayin'.
    ....I understand and appreciate what you're saying,Sayak.....
    -and you're right, when discussing specific game locations, or when announcing an opinion of apparant over-abundance of a particular species;
    -I did put some thought into my post...and my intent was to try to be generally helpful; yet without compromising the game dynamics in this area,or other hunters'(esp local hunters')opportunities-
    :I made a similiar post regarding the abundance of black bear in the Seward area, two years ago....and have continued to experience the steady increase of black bear, regardless...
    :It is fair to say that it is common knowledge, and has been touched upon from time to time on this forum, and also advertised,by fishing/hunting charters, as a great location to hunt black bear-
    -the nature of the terrain...between the Devil's Club and Alder cover, has proven to be a protection from the threat of over-harvest of these black bear...and, I don't even want to get started on the subject of the brown bear.
    : Intimately coupled with this,in my opinion, is the crucial reality that the population count estimates for both black and brown bear are,and have always been, dangerously conservative.
    :We have hardly any moose population to speak of, the brown bear are so saturated in numbers that the large boars are pushing the sows and cubs, and a lot of the black bear, into town...(this not neccessarily to be pinpointed on the "garbage can problem")-also,not to mention the DLP's and bears getting hit by cars...
    -there's much more on that subject I would like to post; but here is probably not the time or place; I care deeply for the Seward area, and this part of the peninsula; the last thing I want to do is to comprimise anything about this unique place we live and hunt...

-The OP had a question about a subject I have first hand, extensive experience with; I felt like I could offer some direction ,without too many specifics;
    -I wish good luck to those who want to come down and hunt black bear....
    -it's not neccessarily easy hunting...

-thankyou for the reminder about this, though....it is important, in so many other instances, of people relaying too much about a hunting area/species-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default I wasn't targeting you sheephuntress

But when a whole bunch of people chime in and say, "Hey, we've got lots of bears down here!", in this information age you should expect a rush on the resource. That is never good for a game population and will inevitably lead to rationing. The folks, like you, who live right next to the resource will be drawing on a hunt in their own back yard. Couple that with the fact that some folks don't do any real research or leg work of their own, but only rely on internet reports to choose their next destination to kill or catch, and you may have a problem.

I'm quite sure that folks in the old days never saw a bottom to the caribou or moose population. I sure didn't! But what do we have now? Restrictions on season, restrictions on antler size and type, and this dam draw system in which, though you may have lived here all your life, you have to compete with Joe Blow from Miami, FLA to put meat to put in your freezer. I hate it!

Didn't mean to vent. My main point is that the few resources that still exist in abundance in Alaska might be better left quietly and selectively passed on to fellow Alaskans instead of trumpeting it to the world. After all, we live here. We endure the long winters and the high prices because we love this country. Being able to fish and hunt in our brief spring/summer/fall makes it worthwhile.

As long as we're giving out 'secrets' there are lots of moose on the Tanana Flats

What! There is black bear in and around Seward!

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm quite sure that folks in the old days never saw a bottom to the caribou or moose population. I sure didn't! But what do we have now? Restrictions on season, restrictions on antler size and type, and this dam draw system in which, though you may have lived here all your life, you have to compete with Joe Blow from Miami, FLA to put meat to put in your freezer. I hate it!
    Wouldn't killing more bears help the moose and caribou populations? I'd think you'd be all for this.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

now i dont know for sure....but in the seward aea i wouldnt have thought the moose population was ever "great". i used to see quite a few around trail lake area, tern lake area, and moose pass ( have seen some great bulls in that area in years past), and then a lot down thru the snow river and kenai lake country, but afterwards they kinda just thinned out.

Release Lake Trout

Default Don't think you're going to see...

... much for moose or caribou around Seward even if you thin out the bears.

Be nice if the black tail would make their way in that direction, however.

I'm not against thinning out bears anyway, that never was my point. I was speaking of overharvesting through too much advertising.

Inevitably, this resource will become more limited, more carefully regulated and ultimately, just another draw hunt. Hope I'm wrong, and I guess I've said all I've got to say about this. Happy hunting to all.

I'm kidding... I'm kidding... I'm not expecting explosions in the Seward moose and caribou population. Just poking a little fun.

I'm right there with you on the blacktail notion, though. That'd be a nice option to have.

Seriously, I understand where you're coming from Sayak about being overharvest and over-advertising. I think it's valid advice to take to heart and something we all need to be reminded of from time to time - especially on this forum.

In this case, I don't think aksheephuntress or anyone else really divulged any information that wasn't pretty common knowledge for most folks in the greater Matsuanchoragekenaiseward area. Between the weather and the terrain, even with a fair amount of pressure, I don't see the Seward bears ever getting hit too hard. Late snow pack, thick vegetation, nasty country along the bay, etc. do a lot to keep the bear population pretty well protected. (Or in my case... carrying a 20 gauge while looking for birds and running into nice blackies on two separate occasions last fall and watching them walk away).

Anyway, the examples of overharvest you brought up are good reminders of why some discretion with information is never a bad idea. That said, I'll be doing some black bear hunting around Seward this spring (in fact I'd already planned a recon trip down there this weekend). And the fact that my gf lives in Seward isn't the sole reason... there are a few bears around.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

why couldnt hey just leave the lblacktails alonhe here in anchorage when they were here? that woulda been cool....i know they hired someone to eliminate them all....

Release Lake Trout