Thread: High highs vs Low highs

Default High highs vs Low highs

Pondered this question for a while today and don't really know what to think of it. Why do fish seem to bite better on the lower high tides versus the higher ones? Say a 23' vs a 32'? I've always seemed to catch way more fish on the 23 footer as apossed to the 32. Any opinions?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

The tide doesn't run quite as hard. Personally, I don't think fish like super strong tides or really flat tides. For Halibut anyway. Current is a good thing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Are you referring to halibut or salmon? I keep a journal every time I go out and note when I catch my fish and what the tides were for that particular day. Believe it or not, for winter kings at least, I've caught them all over the board and there hasn't been any pattern that I could find as to the fishing being better at any particular time.

For halibut it's just easier to keep your bait on the bottom when the tide is slack.

When you say a "32 ft tide" I assume maybe you're talking about fishing somewhere like Ship Creek since there aren't any 32 ft. tides down this way. If that's the case the bigger tide will make it a lot easier for fish to enter the creek.

Yea I was talking more about salmon fishing in tidal streams.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Smaller tides = Less water so the fish/cubic foot density is higher

Or maybe, smaller tides = Less current so your stuff stays on the bottom.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.