Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adams? yay nay?

Default Adams? yay nay?

thought the adams dry looked cool. just wonderin how usefull they are. tell me what u think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.jpg  

theyll work great for trout and grayling, maybe whitefish too....

Release Lake Trout

Default All time favorite.

The Adams, in its various representations (irresistible, female, etc.) is my all time favorite dry fly. I've caught fish in several states; in rivers and lakes on these flies.

Excellent choice for any dry fly opportunity.

Unless you're after really skookum smart fish (Montana spring creeks, eg), the wings are mostly for catching fishermen in fly shops. Put em on for the fun of it, but if you're running too low on grizzly hackle tips, you can leave em off and still fool the fish.

favorite fly eh? thanks for the input. i will tie lots of them. and ive got plenty of hackle. boondocks in ER had bins upon bins of bulk materials and i came out with close to a pound of grizzly hackle alone. ive heard black is the go to for grayling. by that logic an all black adams would work wonders?

Default Yuck

I hate them I hate the I hate them! Did I say that out-loud? Sorry not a huge fan becuase they represent nothing yet everything. Hold on that is the type of fly I like!! Still not a big Adams fan to many steps and there are more productive flys that are less technical and more productive.

Nice JOB by the way keep up the excellent work.

If I were spending that kind of time I would also lean toward Royal Wulff's size 16-14-12

:-) Oh that is becuase I am old and need a HiVis fly to see. :-)

Nice ties, they should work well on grayling (and whitefish perhaps?).
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

can't go wrong with a size 16 or 18 parachute adams
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Parachute adams is in my top five non-alaskan fly selection. For normal adams wing tips, instead of grizz tips, I use starling breast feathers from a specimen that sat on the branch a little too long. Like aforementioned, not necessarily needed, but adds a little flair to the fly.

Go with the parachute.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Sorry not a huge fan becuase they represent nothing yet everything.
    Interesting how there are a lot of those old patterns that don't really match anything, but they work. I've never seen a bug that looked like a prince nymph but they catch fish too.

Default Yep I know

I hate them I hate the I hate them! Did I say that out-loud? Sorry not a huge fan becuase they represent nothing yet everything. Hold on that is the type of fly I like!!

Attractors what a deal eh! The Adams does not represent anything in AK however at one time it was created for a specific hatch just been adapted to meet the needs of the fisher type person eh.

Here is some great reading~! A must for a true Adams nut!

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/f...ery_adams.aspx

I still don't like them, will not fish them, can not fish them, no, no, no shall not, should not, will not.

It is a long standing joke between a fishing friend of my back in Mich U.P. I always asked what are you fishing with he always replied Adams my favorite so over the years after much debate he created an emergency Adams Fly for me in a glass case with the words break glass in case of emergency and you need an Adams. Still have it been 20 years!!!!!!

The Adams looks a lot like a midge, which there are a ton of in Alaska... The Royal Wulf on the other hand, looks like nothing and has more steps than the Adams? They both work, and I understand opinions, but yours doesn't make any sense to me.

Riley

Default Interesting

Royal Wulff

Attach thread, cut calf tail, attach wing material, attach tail, attach and wrap partial body, wrap floss, continue with body wrap, attach hackel. 9 steps

Adams

Attach thread, cut two pieces of hackle strip to size, burn if your looking for a particular wing pattern, attach split wings, attach tail, apply dubbing to thread, wrap dumbed thread, attach hackle. 8-9 steps however 9-10 if you do not judge your initial dubbing correctly.

It's a wash. Now for the real lesson. Note the comment about bad eyes and wishing to be able to see the fly and other comment about but hey I like those kind of flies. Mind you I still have 20-15 vission so it was a joke. The flies have about the same tying time depending on your skill level. IMO if you compared usefullness again IMO the Adams is versital but has limited applications in faster water where as the Wulff as both still and fast water uses. That is not to say you can not post the Adams with High -Vis Antron in a parachute but than that is really not an Adams anymore. Not defending the Wulff series nor calling it a better fly just more applicable to the waters of AK. For a better history of the Wulff series of fly's check out all things Fran Betters who claims as always to be the orginator of the AuSable Wulff Keene / Upper Jay NY. I did some tying for Fran back in the early 90's great little hole in the wall shop. Funny thing is I also spent a ton of time fishing in and around the Traverse City Area to include the area the Adams was orginated from seen them tied from A-Z.

The Adams which seems to be a favorite with the crowd is a good fly. I don't make them, never have never will but hey that's me. It has become an attractor pattern same as the Royal Wulff IMO. It's a wash again IMO.

I promise not to joke about the Adams further. It's a fly, it is fished there are many like it, but this one is mine and OBTW it's not an Adams. :-) Thanks for playing all. Have a very very wonderful night.

Sorry upfront for being a smart butt. Hockey is over and I have a life again!

Default Wings.

Thanks for the link Moose. I've read the story before, but with some minor variations.

It's all what you like. I like to tie irresistibles (which is probably why I tied them for the swap) It's still an Adams, just add the hassle of spinning the body, rather than just wrapping some dubbing. The benefit of the extra work is that it becomes an excellent fast water fly, and very durable; Very bouyant.

I'm sure it also has something to do with what fly you first came to love. The Adams was the first fly I actually knew the name of, and it caught Grayling like nobody's business, so I was doomed from the start.

As for someone's mention of the difficulty of wings, mine aren't perfect by any stretch, but they seem to work fine, are not that difficult to tie, and I think they still look enough like bug wings. I followed A.K. Best's instructions in Production Fly Tying. If you're hung-up on perfectly rounded mayfly type wings, buy some synthetic cut-outs. They're easy to use and look real. I just like using feathers, but once again, it's all personal preference.

I have tied some wingless Adams that caught fish as well, but I do think the wings help the fly to land a little softer on the water. But again, we're talking about perception and preference here.

John Gierach is a nut for matching the hatch as close as he can, and he too gets annoyed at his buddies who catch just as many fish fishing nothing but an Adams

One more tidbit. After being thoroughly humiliated on Idaho's famed Silver Creek for several hours (fishing flies tied by local experts specifically for the difficult spring creek) guess what fly finally saved the day for me???
    Cystal clear water, educated trout, perfectly tied and nearly exact imitations of the naturals, and the Adams is the only fly between two seasoned anglers to bring a fish to hand!

The Adams, in a few words....simple, elegant, time-tested, and ridiculously effective.

Don't hate them cause they're beautiful

hap

Having spent time production tying I can assure anyone the Adams is a very fast fly to tie... The Royal Wulff is not close.

Finding a good cree hackle simplifies the Adams by turning it into a one hackle fly, instead of two. A good production tyer will hold Adams to about 90 seconds. A Royal Wulff will be at least half again as long. That is with tyers at the very top of their "game". Stacking hair will more than double it.
    art

Short and sweet: My vote is an enthusiastic Yea!

However, that being said, I usually go to the mosquito, which is quite similar, but it just feels more "Alaskan" to me, since I am usually in a cloud of them while fly fishing. Do I think a mosquito is any quicker to tie or more effective than an Adams here?

Nay!

Default WOW

I lied I am back. I suppose this is jacking the thread sorry.

So pins and needles eh! My vise is bigger than yours ;-) I suppose this would make a great sperate thread just might start one would make for an interesting debate.

I know Sick eh!

If you rack and stack the material the steps are the same IMO and the time consummed is about the same again this my opinion based on how I tie flies

If in fact you use calf body hair and prestage materials the steps are similar and about the same. As an example you can use the same body material all the way through for a Wulff and you don't have to use 4 strand floss.

Adams - Wing, Tail, Dub, wrap, Hackle finish.

Royal Wulff - Wing, Tail, peacock 2 pieces at the same time add 1 strand mylar, wrap P 2/3 shank stop, wrap mylar 1/3 shank stop, wrap P 1/3 shank, Hackle Finish. You can equate the Peacock and Mylar to the dubbing portion of making the adams.

Same steps once your up and running the time taken to produce both is about the same IMO.

Sorry I did not mean to come back honest!

hap

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I lied I am back. I suppose this is jacking the thread sorry.

So pins and needles eh! My vise is bigger than yours ;-) I suppose this would make a great sperate thread just might start one would make for an interesting debate.

I know Sick eh!

If you rack and stack the material the steps are the same IMO and the time consummed is about the same again this my opinion based on how I tie flies

If in fact you use calf body hair and prestage materials the steps are similar and about the same. As an example you can use the same body material all the way through for a Wulff and you don't have to use 4 strand floss.

Adams - Wing, Tail, Dub, wrap, Hackle finish.

Royal Wulff - Wing, Tail, peacock 2 pieces at the same time add 1 strand mylar, wrap P 2/3 shank stop, wrap mylar 1/3 shank stop, wrap P 1/3 shank, Hackle Finish. You can equate the Peacock and Mylar to the dubbing portion of making the adams.

Same steps once your up and running the time taken to produce both is about the same IMO.

Sorry I did not mean to come back honest!
    I see this as directly related to the OP's question about the Adams... Is it as easy to tie as a Royal Wulff? Maybe I am incapable of tying a RW properly, but I do it in far less time than most... and far longer than an Adams.
    art

Default :-)

I am just being giddy Art nothig personal.

I got stuck doing all the AuSable and Royal Wulff's for H&H back for about a year averaged about 15-20 dz a night not fun at all. I actually break it down into the steps and changed some of the material to make them faster hence the comments for me. You are correct on average someone making the flies could in fact accomplish the Adams much faster if they are not set up to complete dz per night with the set up I use.

Once you start pre-staging all the materials 24 flies at a time it is just a matter of continued placement of material in the same location. Actaully very relaxing once you find your Happy Place well at least for the first couple.

I will officially state the Adams is a useful fly if in fact you use an Adams to fish with.

Man now I have just joined the Dark Side!

May you all have a blessed day! 55 degrees in Fairbanks this weekend I knew our one day of summer would come soon! Hey do you all think I need some river time? Don't answer that!

Moose-O

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I just remembered another tip to make tying an adams a little quicker/simpler. Instead of using two hackles, just use grizzly and color one side of it brown with a sharpie.

I've got almost every color of sharpie in my fly tying box. I leave the wings off most of mine too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast