Thread: training with live birds questions

Default training with live birds questions

So, I have a friend who bought some quail eggs and now has 60 some quail and counting. i am interested in using a few of them to help the pup get birdie and train him. we have done some work with duck wings. obviously you have to clip the wings of the quail and hide he bird. could some of you seasoned dog trainers explain in detail how to use a live bird when training pup or post some links?????? thanks!! Am excited to see the short term goal of a retrieved duck come september and the joy of having a "started" dog.

Clipped winged quail might have limited use for you. If you have a pointing dog they might have some value for pointing training but you will want to go on to training steady to flush and shot probably at some point and good fliers usually work better for this training. To flight condition your birds you need space for them to learn to fly. Buying a bird launcher would probably be a big help also.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Rosscoak,

I'm assuming you have a Lab? And what exactly do you wish to accomplish with these birds?

Quail are not all that hardy as a training bird, and non-flight conditioned birds hold even less value to most trainers. Depends on what you need to do. And cold, wet weather - like Juneau weather - is even tougher on quail.

Sounds like you are just looking for some birds for your dog to retrieve.

Tell us more.

Jim

I raised up some Japanese quail for retriever training in Anchorage.

Their feathers were loose and not an overabundance of them. They got instantly water soaked. One retrieve as a wing clip and they died. Pigeons are a better training bird for retrievers than corturnix. I don't believe bob white would be much better.

I traded them for some pigeons that I never received and still felt I got a pretty good deal.

Default depends on the goal

It depends on the goal to be achieved....a quail can help a young dog become excited about birds simply by putting a live quail out in the field (personally I would not clip the wings) and let the pup find it, chase it and catch it. Nothing special about how to do it. As mentioned above a quail will not last long under this type stress and handling.
    If looking for a small bird for retrieving, you might get few retrieves out of it if you freeze it, but still it wont last long.
    Flushing quail for retriever can work, but like said above not the best and a hardier bird like pigeons will be better.
    Without the details of your situation it is hard to say how/what you should do.
    If quail is all you have, then make the best of it.
    Does your friend who hatched the quail have more experience that he can share?

I messed around with those quail some. They held too tight, didnt fly worth a darn and were pretty fragile. In short they were not great for getting a dog to hold steady on point. Then I went the pigeon route. My dog hated pigeons. She would not point one, then I froze them for retreive training and she wouldnt put those in her mouth. I had some success with chukars but they were kind of expensive. My dog loves chickens though!

Im not sure what you want to clip wings for. But if you want to place the birds you dizzy them then set them down.

Arrow nice topic

nice topic~~~

depends on which quail??? if you dont have space for bigger birds like chukar then pigeons or quail are the only thing left if you dont want pigeons and want quail dont do japenese they are breed for eggs and fat breasts for eating not an ideal flyer...if you want a surefire flyer you got to order from down south from mccmurry farms or lake cumberland game birds get there hunting birds....i live in anchorage i'm wanting some birds so of you want to order let me know we can order together and save some $$$ they have a deal right now till june on game bird packages its 170.00 for 60 birds chukar and pheasants
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Did you happen to see that I gave you some local idea's for birds? Both folks raise them for dog folks in their area of the state (Homer and Sterling). You might check them out!
    McMurry has different packages... 120 for $295.20 (60 Ringneck Pheasants, 30 Melanistic Mutant Pheasant and 30 Chukar Partridge) or 60 for $149.40 120 for $280.80 (30 chukar partridge and 30 pheasants of your choice) then stick shipping on top of that. Most the folks that have birds already up here have obtained their birds from the stock you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by stetsoncoltoutdoors View Post
    depends on which quail??? if you dont have space for bigger birds like chukar then pigeons or quail are the only thing left if you dont want pigeons and want quail dont do japenese they are breed for eggs and fat breasts for eating not an ideal flyer...if you want a surefire flyer you got to order from down south from mccmurry farms or lake cumberland game birds get there hunting birds....i live in anchorage i'm wanting some birds so of you want to order let me know we can order together and save some $$$ they have a deal right now till june on game bird packages its 170.00 for 60 birds chukar and pheasants
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

i did and i'm getting ahold of them this weekend before i order thanks tho
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal