Thread: Kimber 84

Default Kimber 84

Guys I sold one of my 4 wheelers today and the buyer was about $800 short of having enough cash to complete the transaction. He offered me a Kimber 84 (Long master?) in 308 to make up the difference. He didn't have it with him so while he was making the 40 minute round trip drive to fetch it I was pondering against it real hard. I have experienced a couple of bad Kimbers in the past.... in both cases I bought someone else's problem.

My mind was made up. I wasn't going to do it but then he got it out and I shouldered it. Ya all know where this going.. I had me one of those moments... the dang thing felt as good as any rifle I've ever shouldered. The fluted match grade barrel made it balance to perfection. Then the owner had a weak kneed moment and declared that he didn't know if he could part with it. So we parted ways with the ideer (Paul Tuttle) that we'd both sleep on it over night.

I'm just not capable of making up my mind this time! I've bad mouthed Kimbers based on my own experience yet this must be one of the good ones or the guy wouldn't be having such a hard time parting with it and it felt sooooo good!

The guy wants the wheeler bad so the decision making will most likely fall on me. Would someone please make up my mind for me?

Default take the gun

if it turns out to be a turd, sell it on AK list, it's weird, but for some reason if I have a gun that I don't like, I find it hard to sell it on here in good faith, especially if it has any FTF issues. but other sites not so much buyer beware.

EKC- I've had one of these jewels for 8 years... it is simply the most reliably accurate rifle I've ever owned. It shoots everything well- 1 to 1.5MOA and 165 Hornady Light Mags are nothing short of amazing. The light action and heavier barrel balances just right for me to shoot offhand.

I'd take one for $800 without hesistation, particularly if it is an older model with the 2 position safety- Kimber didn't have its quality woes and the wood was generally better.

"Run Forest, run."

Seriously, I have been trying to sell one of my Kimbers for over a year at a substantial loss. These guns are slow movers on the used market.

I think I felt what hodgeman feels in terms of balance. I shouldered a half dozen of my personal favorites this morning and none of them were "right there" like that Kimber was.

The bad news is that the guy drummed up the cash and kept his Kimber.

seant; What is it that you don't like about yours? I value your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think I felt what hodgeman feels in terms of balance. I shouldered a half dozen of my personal favorites this morning and none of them were "right there" like that Kimber was.

The bad news is that the guy drummed up the cash and kept his Kimber.

seant; What is it that you don't like about yours? I value your opinion!
    Their is not anything specific that I don't like with my Caprivi. I just picked up an like new in the box Sako AV L61R 375 h&h which fits me better. I really don't need two wood/blued 375s.

This rifle(kimber caprivi) is one of the slowest movers on the used market. If you buy one, be prepared to take a beating on resale.

I'm happy with my Kimber, but it had a few issues that needed to be fixed. Luckily, Kimber fixed them at no cost to me. It's a great gun if you get a good one.

I'd ask if I could go to the range and shoot it first to check feeding and accuracy.