Thread: Remington adequate answer to Benelli?

Default Remington adequate answer to Benelli?

I really needed a new 12ga and took some time to look around Anchorage a few weekends back. I liked the feel of the B Nova and spotted them @ G N Guns, Mt View,... used about $400, new $450 and up. A friend said I should check out this new Remington M887, their answer to the Nova. Long story short, I picked it up a few weekends ago for $350 new.
    My first experiences have been positive, though I read reviews - after the purchase, of course - of troubles cycling 2 3/4" shells. I've only shot a couple boxes, but all were 2 3/4 and I haven't had a problem.
    Anyone else examined, shot, or purchased this gun? What are your thoughts?

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

Default You shoulda...

... bought the Benelli, grasshopper.

When you do, I'll take the 887 off your hands.

Like any gun, clean is key to flawless operation.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I bought one last year and used it for a season duck hunting. I like it and haven't had any problems with it so far.

Southwest Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Like any gun, clean is key to flawless operation.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Guy I worked with on fours years of wildlife obs has a Benelli Super M1 that worked perfectly for the first year. After that, it just didn't function reliably. Told him over and over to break it down and clean it, brushing out the barrel isn't cleaning. Still has it, still doesn't function reliably.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I haven't shot one, so I can't speak to reliability. The looks and feel of them sure take some getting used to when you're accustomed to the good ol' 870. But between the 887 and the Nova, I'd take the 887 any day. Remington shotguns, 887 included, just fit me better and point better than any other brand I've ever handled. I may buy one of these as an extreme weather goose gun.