Thread: Arrow question

Default Arrow question

I am wondering how much going to a lighter arrow will flatten my arrow trajectory out? I am currently shooting xx75 easton alloy 2315 arrows from a Bowtec Tomcat with about 63# draw weight. I am thinking of going to a lighter arrow in maybe a carbon. I am mostly happy with these heavier alloy arrows but am curios about how much difference there is in trajectory between different arrow weights.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default questions

What is the weight of your existing without the tip?

What is the arrow length, and draw lenght?

A light arrow and in turn faster arrow will flatten your trajectory slightly. It has been awhile since I experimented with the difference in weight. I went from a 425 grain to 400 grain, and increased arrow speed my about 10 fps with the neglegable change in Kinetic Energy. However, the reduce speed reduced momentum by about 3%, due to the lower weight but increase speed. At the time, my arrows were flying between 270 and 280 fps. At those speeds, you will get pass thru shots, though that is not the goal but rather to have a well placed shot to ensure a quick and clean kill.

The reason I was going through that exercise was ensuring my arrows were properly spined for my draw length and draw weight. I ended up going with the 100 grain tip rather than 125 grain tip, to ensure the spine was correct. My concern was long draw length and heavy arrow causing adverse flight due spine being too weak.

350 grain without tip. 125 grain thunderhead.
    29" draw length.
    301/2" arrow length.

Been looking up a lot of arrow info. I am not really a seasoned archer yet, so there is a lot I have to learn yet. Looks like I might be lighter than I had thought already. Since the arrows I have are what was set up for me when I bought my bow and the only Bou I killed so far with it was a good double lung pass through maybe I should not mess with it till I learn more. Any info from others is still welcome. This seems like an interesting subject to me. Please comment.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey lynch here is a carbon arrow chart to work off also.. sound like you could be tip heavy, but i am far from an expert on arrow weights...

i was trying to tune my new Z7 and use my old arrows that were the same length as i cross between the realm of lighter and heavier... i shoot 28.5 inch draw and a 29.5 inch arrow at ~60 lbs with the beman 340 i need a 125 tip and the 400s get a 100gn tip. both weigh in over 400 grains total so i do not worry which tip i use.. but i found the lighter shaft with 100 gn tips held a more constant group and pattern..

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_...ifications.htm

they can be temperamental for sure.. but you will find through trial and error which ones work best...

i have all the arrow building equipment and a 50 yard rang at the house if you wanted to play one weekend, and try different shafts and tips. just pick up one or two types and go from there...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was shooting 2315s out of my old Browning mirage...a buddy talked me into shooting carbons, and I was AMAZED at not only the speed difference, but the penetration as well..

Those carbon arrows (due to the smaller diameter I think) penetrated my foam targets at least 6" deeper that the 2315's. Some may feel that the lack of penetration is good as it imparts more energy at impact, but I disagree cause if my carbon hits something solid enough to stop it, it will give off basically the same energy...and a pass thru with lots of blood is what Im looking for anyway...

Default thoughts..

lynch,
    I looked at your parameters, and I came up with a similar conclusion, 100 tips, rather that 125's might be better for your draw weight/length and arrow weight.

It has been awhile since I went into the Archery Program which I have, but my recollection of a similar set-up, right on the edge of between a heavily and lighter spined arrow. Going fromw the 125 to 100 tip will take you into solidly into a spine that might be more appropriate for your set-up. However, if you are getting consistent arrow placement with existing set-up, you are doing well. The only think you are changing is the arrow from aluminum to carbon, and necessary tuning.

Thumbs up Thanks every one.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Love the trajectory calculator. I decided to stay with the same old arrows for now but went to 100 gr. broad heads. Groups are looking good in practice.

I wont get into the trajectory discussion....obviously I am not to worried about it shooting the equipment I'm using and my regular hunting distances dont dictate it so in the end with most of my kill shots at 10 yards or less, most under 15 steps trajectory is moot.

I will say this, dont get to wrapped up on a pass through on caribou, I'd be worried if you WERENT getting them, on caribou! Pretty thin skinned thin boned animal.

Default Other things

Other things to consider are the abuse on the bow and noise. A lighter arrow causes more stress on the bow components as there is less resistance when the arrow is released and more force transferred back into the bow. You will also have more noise the lighter you go. A heavier arrow will be quieter.

I shoot 525 grains at 72 +/- pounds. With a bow the most important thing to consider is not poundage, speed, KE or trajectory but the ability to place a razor sharp broadhead into the correct spot.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You might want to try Easton FMJs they give great penetration and are tough. They give you also great momentum. With my short draw length of 26.5 with my bow poundage at 65lbs, I'm getting 265fps, 64 lb KE, and 15.59 in momentum. I've used them since they came out and won't use anything else! I always get pass thrus on all my elk I've taken and I've taken quite a few in my 49 years.

Here's an elk I took last season in Wyoming DIY. He only went 35 yds.