Thread: DB212- Frazer Lake

Default DB212- Frazer Lake

I drew DB212 frazer lake brown bear this year and was wodering if anybody had any info on the area. Suggestions on timing, air transport or just any advice you would like to give a first time Kodiak Bear hunter... Been looking forward to this for a long time..Is this a good area?

Holy cow you drew a good tag!! Last time I was on a flight that went over that area I saw 8 bears working the same stretch of river. Good luck on your hunt and take lot's of pictures to post here!

My advice is make sure to be able to use all your time period you pick. In case of weather or other issues. Seahawk Air is great and andrews air has more planes with less chance of overbooking both are good operations. Good luck wish I was going.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Don't know about the area too much but you shouldn't forget to invite some coworkers.

Haha luke you know your invited.......

All I know about the area is, everyone that I have talked that has been there recently has said the same thing, there are a bunch of bears in that area

Thanks everyone for there info. I know it's a small area and wasn't expecting to get tons of info. I will be contacting the local kodiak biologist for some added advice. Does anybody have his/her name and number? Thanks

Went there years ago with a friend on a spring hunt. Saw a ton of bears. There is a fish and wildlife cabin on the end of the lake that we stayed in. Took a Zodiac and motor to get around the lake with. Don't forget to pack fishing gear!! Contact this outfit about rental stuff. Rented a Sat phone and some cooking stuff from them last year and was pretty happy with the deal. They also have Zodiacs that they will rent. http://www.kodiakkamps.com/. I have flown with Seahawk air and was pleased with them also.

Default Bear Info

Willy,

Call Roland at Seahawk Air and ask him questions about the area. He flys all over the island and has helped me on more than one occasion.

Randy

Default Bears

Was there last year and used Roland for my Goat hunt. Bears??? You bet. There is a nice one running around laughing at the Goat dinner I provided.
    The bears were crazy around the area. We set up camp just off the lake in the trees where there were Salmon everywhere. At night you could here the Bears in the water chasing fish. Don't forget the bug spray and a machete for the alders if you head up the hills.
    The reason so many bears we were told by the biologist was the Salmon run that year on Larson Lake was the worst in 30 years and all the Bears went over the hill to Frazer.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Was there last year and used Roland for my Goat hunt. Bears??? You bet. There is a nice one running around laughing at the Goat dinner I provided.
    The bears were crazy around the area. We set up camp just off the lake in the trees where there were Salmon everywhere. At night you could here the Bears in the water chasing fish. Don't forget the bug spray and a machete for the alders if you head up the hills.
    The reason so many bears we were told by the biologist was the Salmon run that year on Larson Lake was the worst in 30 years and all the Bears went over the hill to Frazer.
    Bob,

As someone that is totally unselfish and thinking of tagging along on this hunt to help the permit winning on air taxi costs a little how was the deer and goat hunting in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Bob,

As someone that is totally unselfish and thinking of tagging along on this hunt to help the permit winning on air taxi costs a little how was the deer and goat hunting in the area?
    Saw a few deer. Had a curious doe that actually followed us for a 1/4 mile at about 40 yards. Did see some bucks but were back up against the hills and would require about a 3 hour hike through the Alders.
    As far as the Goats we plopped into 60 easy in 1 day. They were spotted the day before as we flew in.
    We had some weather on this hunt and were stuck in camp for a few days so didn't do as much exploring as I would have liked.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!