Thread: sheep

Default sheep

i am looking to go on my first sheep hunt this year, and being i did not draw any of the sheep tags i put in for what is good area to go for a registration hunt?

Not sure there are that many registration hunts for sheep. Outside of draw hunts almost everything else is general season harvest (just need the yellow harvest tag from and place that issues tags like Sportmans Wareshouse certain gas stations or a F&G office) that is open from August 10th-Septmeber 20th.

I think most of the KP and the Chugach mnts are mainly all draw. So now you are only limited to the Alaska Range, Wrangles, Whites, Brooks, and Talkeetnas. Depends on how long you are willing to drive to begin you hike and what not. Are ya looking for a flyout, walk in, wheeler in partway?? Just need some more details I guess.

In reality to be honest you aren't going to get any specifics at all here beyond maybe a portion of a given mountain range. In order to find a good area to hunt you gotta do some scouting of your own in the off season. This means that it might be in your best interest to pick one of the ranges closer to home so get a lay of the land and the sheep that inhabit that area. The Brooks can be tough one to scout in the summer if you live in Anchorage. Though if you bow hunt for 'bou up the haul road and are up that way anyways, why not take a few extra days and hike up some drainages. Talking to some F&G bios might help as well.

Default Registration??

There is only one registration sheep hunt that I'm aware of, in the eastern Brooks Range. If by registration you mean non-draw, or harvest ticket hunts then your best bet is to dig into the regs and study the units that have sheep seasons. From there I'd suggest researching ADF&G's website for harvest report and hunter pressure data. Then talk to the area biologist's about herd stability, ram numbers/age classes.

Of course the best areas are normally accessible by air which means if you don't have an air taxi lined up by early March (most years) then you're not flying in, except for a last minute cancellation.

There are road accessible sheep populations open to harvet ticket hunts but be prepared to walk...far, or encounter heavy competiton, and few legal sheep.

It can be done but it's a daunting task.

You want to take my wife out on a date too?

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Since your offering, do you have any recent pictures

Oh, does she have the keys to the boat as well?
    Last edited by tboehm; 04-12-2010 at 10:40. Reason: after thought

Take my wife, just don't ask any questions about sheep or steelhead. I tell people, ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Default Oooops

Sorry when I said registration I meant harvest, I'm in anchorage, I'm willing to hike in, I have a buddy that flies but has to have a landing strip no tundra tires or anything, the talkeetnas would be nice, I will be hitting the haul road in the end of august and we glassed some good size heards this side of atigun last year but season wasn't open yet and wasn't willing to scale the mountain to just look at them and see if they were legal

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That depends? Did she draw a DS102 or a DS103