Thread: Remote DEC approved septic

Default Remote DEC approved septic

Looking for opinions on installing a DEC approved septic sysem in a remote location. Have good drainage/gravel. Do they require septic rock/sand? Will have 1000 gallon plastic tank and equipment to install but not really into setting up a screening plant. Could call DEC but would like any helpful information.

Take the class.

As for your plastic tank, be wary. I have a plastic tank at my house and it is a piece of crap (pun intended). It sucks so bad that I'm going to dig it up and replace it with a steel Greer tank next year.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks whats the problem? I was looking at the weight and not rusting out. But i guess a steel tank is going to outlast m
    e so why should i care.

Google LIfewater and see what they got. They engineered my DEC approved septic. I know that they have them in Fairbanks draining on the ground.

George

JOAT what's wrong with your tank and what kind is it? I have a steel tank installed in 99 and I think it's a 1000 gallon Greer. It is starting to collapse around the manhole from rust already so I was thinking about plastic. Maybe I should go concrete or just pour a concrete cap over it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Called DEC and they set me up with a package that explains the do's and dont's. 1000 gallon tank is the smallest and have to have a engineer look at a test hole. Watch a cd and i will be able to install my system.

How are you pumping the tank and how often would a person have to if it is only weekend use? Pretty deep hole would be needed as well so it would not freeze due to the lack of use. I am going to be building a cabin soon and I would like indoor plumbing but trying to decide best way as it is 8 miles by wheeler or snowmachine to the land.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Called DEC and they set me up with a package that explains the do's and dont's. 1000 gallon tank is the smallest and have to have a engineer look at a test hole. Watch a cd and i will be able to install my system.
    to answer your question as to whether or not a sand liner is required, it depends on the soil. for example gravels will have a higher percolation rate than silts. DEC wants you to install a sand liner if the percolation rates are greater than 1 minute per inch. I believe you stated that your ground conditions are gravels, which all typically exceed that requirement, therefore you will be required to have a sand liner. Also, as to the perc test, it is not required in gravels if you install the liner, it is only required if you are proposing not to install the liner in gravels. I should mention that you should be confident that you have identified the soil properly. if you have any doubts, dig a hole about the size of a five gallon bucket, add water and time how long it takes to drain. you should take several readings, insert a stick or ruler with known increments of measurement and and take the average of several readings. if the results are higher than the 1 minute per inch then install the liner. DEC has a publication, "Installer's Manual for Conventional Onsite Domestic Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Systems", I would recommend you download it and read it, it will walk you through the whole design process and keep you out of trouble with the state. pay close attention to the exclusions, as a home owner installing your own system you should not have to go through the approval process. make sure the state has not made changes to the laws and that the publication is their most current.

Good luck