Thread: Marlin 357 primer "craters" stick up ??

Default Marlin 357 primer "craters" stick up ??

My little Marlin 1894 in 357 has a nasty little problem of allowing the primer crater around the fireing pin to strick up. It is not a real problem until I start pushing the pressures up to book max then they actualy pierce a hole to the exact shape of the stick up. I am not "hot" loading and the primers show round profile on the edges, not flat or sharp. I can load the 44 lever gun up to book max with no sign of this and have never had any other gun do this either. Any ideas out there on what may be allowing or causing this to happen??

Rod in Wasilla

How does it do with quality, hot loaded factory ammo like Cor Bon?

Don't know -- Have not shot factory stuff since 1977. My main hobby is reloading and shooting, everything from one hole group- cast bullet -11 grain blue Dot 30-06 to long range 338 stuff.

Default Try a couple different primers.

Does it happen with multiple brands of primers? If not, try some and see.

If its consistent with all brands - You'll need either Marlin, or a local gunsmith to take a look at it for you. Heads up, when you talk to Marlin they are going to ask you the same question WA asks above "what about factory rounds?".

All us handloaders are suspect - I know, it sucks - but considering they don't know you or I from Adam, they will ask...

Good luck.

Nate

Sounds like the firing pn hole on the bolt needs to be bushed, that's my first thought. Over sized firing pin hole makes the primer show high pressure.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by spotmom View Post
    Don't know -- Have not shot factory stuff since 1977. My main hobby is reloading and shooting, everything from one hole group- cast bullet -11 grain blue Dot 30-06 to long range 338 stuff.
    Ok the key thing is pop some hot .357 factory rounds in it, Try Cobon, hot and quality. Keep all your cases

Then bring it in, if its 5 years or less old still under warranty.

By the way, having been handling Marlin warranty claims for 15 years, I have yet to see an oversize FP hole, but hopefully the Kid will chime in

PS you say you shoot up to box max and they are "not hot". Remember how max depends not just on load but on rifle too, and max changes from time to time.

As Ken said if its under 5 years old it will be under warranty any way but if you bring it in we will be happy to look it over for you as thats what a Marlin service center is for. If indeed it is an oversize firing pin hole in the bolt, which it may very well be, it will be a brand new bolt from Marlin for you sir.

As said due to their liability and other rigamoroe Marlin will ask about how factory ammo behaves in it so if you happen to have some, particularly Corbon, or Remingtons 125gr load, as these are usually some of the warmer ones out there, it would do you good to fire a few through it and save the cases. If you don't have any of that stuff, which I assume you don't since you said you do not use factory ammo, bring it in and let me test fire it a few times with the above mentioned loads. We'll inspect the cases together then try to get to the bottom of this.

Hopefully it's something simple and an easy fix, be even better if its still under warranty, no coin from your pocket you know. It could be a tight troat or somethnig of that nature, you have to remember that the Marlin design predates the last century so they use a large diameter firing pin which doesn't help with primer flow. Could be slightly out of headspace, or have a broken firing pin tip.

Lots of possible answers, and I hope you'll stop in and let us help.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post

Lots of possible answers, and I hope you'll stop in and let us help.
    If you come in on Thursday, we will toss in some brain surgery for free. We are sterilizing the dremel as we speak.

Wasilla Rod sez--

This Marlin dandy is pre safety and I knew the DOM at one time but have forgotten. It has always had a crater issue when shooting anywhere near full steam but It never seemed an issue. I have noticed this same thing on pick up brass (An obsesion since a young lad) but never gave it serious ponderance until the holes happened on this session. I was playing with 180 grain Speer rifle bullets- right out of the Speer #10 book with 14.6 grains H110. Book listed max is 15.6 and the Speer #9 book lists 17.5 Max. My H110 is vintage stock but not horrible. I figgured 14.5 safe to do my usual 5 round try it group loads. Second shot gave me the primer hole. I inspected the primer profile and considered it almost "new" round sides so fired another round and got the second hole. I quit with that and pulled the remaining 2 bullets and weighed the powder. Both with in specs. I do have the RCBS scale checker weights and my old RCBS 10-10 always dials right in so no suspects there. I am sidetracked right now as I am getting ready for the Fairbanks gun show (Cartridge collection display) and will devote time later with a complete teardown of the action and inspection of hole and pin under the magnifier. I have other fine toys to play with until I go over this with a fine tooth comb. Like an Idiot -- I cant remember if I used the Mag primers on this volley and neglected to state such in my load log book!

I have been using small rifle primer for my .357 mag loads since the 1960's with out any failures. Except for a Major problem with CCI and hang fires I have never bought or loaded any CCI since. Just do not trust that brand any more.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson