Thread: Kenai Penninsula area: best fishing museums?

Default Kenai Penninsula area: best fishing museums?

What are the notable fishing museums around Anchorage and the Kenai Penninsula? Every town, park and campground seems to have a museum, but are there any that really stand out regarding the history of fishing in Alaska?

I'm visiting (Talkeetna, Palmer, Seward, Soldotna, Homer, Anchorage) this summer and trying to narrow down my options, and learn more about fishing history and methods.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've never heard of any fishing museums anywhere from Anchorage down to Homer. I could very well be wrong.

But I do know that the Soldotna visitor's center has a replica of the 97 lb. world record king in their lobby. If you love kings it is well worth seeing.

Cooper Landing has a museum, i haven't been in it but heard from a local that it is worth stop. I plan on going there when some family comes up this summer.

Yeah, I've passed that place about 500 times in my lifetime and never stopped there. It isn't exactly a "fishing" museum if you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, but it would definitely be a place to stop if you're interested in local history. Here's a link to their website: http://www.cooperlandingmuseum.com/

agree, it probably isn't directl fishing related but there has got to be some fishing stuff with history of that town.

But a local fishing museum centrally located in Soldotna would be pretty cool. A Kenai Peninsula Fishing Museum would be very neat.

To expand on that.

Homer has the Alaska Islands and Oceans Visitor's Center. It's not exactly a fishing museum, but it is well worth seeing. Here's their website: http://www.islandsandocean.org/

There's also the Pratt Museum for local history. http://www.prattmuseum.org/index.html

Seward has the Alaska SeaLife Center. It's a good short day as well. http://www.alaskasealife.org/

I think Talkeetna has some sort of "local" museum, too.

This is off the subject of fishing, but if you're in Talkeetna DO NOT miss taking a flight seeing trip onto either the Ruth or Kahiltna glacier. It's a bit pricey, but WELL worth the price. My flight up to the Ruth is what convinced me to move to Alaska. And I actually got married on the Kahiltna.

Default Kenai Visitor Center

Again, not a "fishing museum", but has many mounted species.

Default Musuems...

The best you have is in your state capitol in Juneau. It covers the history of fishing in Alaska far superior than any other musem I've visited. This doesn't do you a lick a good because you are on the Kenai, but I thought I would throw it out anyhow.

The museum in Anchorage is a great stop to learn about Alaska's development and the role of that community in it.

Smaller communities have smaller presentations, but they can be gems. Kodiak recently designed their new downtown musuem around the carcass of a whale they buried on a beach years ago.

Don't forget visits to ADF&G facilities and BLM centers around the state. Most of them have interesting things for any vistor.

Exxon got nailed for the Valdez spill big time. The Allutiq's in Kodiak got an entire museum of their heritage from those funds.

Ask around. Most of it is right under your nose and worth visiting once you reach your limit or get weathered out...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

The best Trout display of pictures and mounts i've seen are in the Windbreak Cafe in Wasilla. To bad the foods gone down hill or I'd recommend peeps to stop in an check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

This is off the subject of fishing, but if you're in Talkeetna DO NOT miss taking a flight seeing trip onto either the Ruth or Kahiltna glacier. It's a bit pricey, but WELL worth the price. My flight up to the Ruth is what convinced me to move to Alaska. And I actually got married on the Kahiltna.
    We've already got one of the flighseeing tours booked in Talkeetna, and I'm very excited about it.

I plan to visit some of the other places you mentioned too. Thanks!

I don't know if it's still there or not, but back in 2004 we stopped at a Wildlife Museum in Ninilchick. We weren't expecting much but when we got in there we were blown away. There was literally just about every kind of animal in the world. Well, at least North America and Africa. We spent about 2 hours there. The lady giving the tour was great, telling us about the animals and how she and her husband collected them. I video taped it all.

If it's still there, and you get a chance, it is really worth the stop. I think it was $5 to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by pehudson View Post
    We've already got one of the flighseeing tours booked in Talkeetna, and I'm very excited about it.

I plan to visit some of the other places you mentioned too. Thanks!
    Make sure you specify the "glacier landing" and book the longest flight you possibly can. If you go with K2 do the "Denali Grand Tour" where you fly all the way around the mountain and also land on one of the glaciers. I've done it about 6 times now and could do it 60 more times and not get tired of it.

Default fishing museums

We are all to busy fishing to go to a museum !!!! Enjoy your trip to Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Make sure you specify the "glacier landing" and book the longest flight you possibly can. If you go with K2 do the "Denali Grand Tour" where you fly all the way around the mountain and also land on one of the glaciers. I've done it about 6 times now and could do it 60 more times and not get tired of it.
    That's funny, we're going with K2 with a glacier landing. It sounds like we're on the same track.

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    I don't know if it's still there or not, but back in 2004 we stopped at a Wildlife Museum in Ninilchick.
    I looked it up, and it looks like you might be talking about the Anchor Point Wildlife Museum, 34030 Sterling Highway. I'm going to check it out - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pehudson View Post
    I looked it up, and it looks like you might be talking about the Anchor Point Wildlife Museum, 34030 Sterling Highway. I'm going to check it out - thanks!
    I've been going up to Anchor Point lately looking for land up there. If I get a chance I'll stop in and take a look at it and let you know if it's worth seeing. It's funny because I've probably driven through there about 300 times and I never knew it even existed. Guess they like to keep a good thing secret, huh?