Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Creek

Default Lake Creek

A buddy and I are planning to float Lake Creek June 15 -20th. This will be our first unguided float trip and first time on Lake Creek. Just seeing if anyone has floated this creek before and to see if anyone has any good tips for a newbie to floating for five days. Any packing ideas, must have gear, cooking tips would be greatly appriciated!! Any tips period, haha

So when you say your a newbie to floating 5 days does that mean you have some rafting time, or is this your first time out with a raft? Lake creek is class 3+

I would say my first bit of advice would be to not try and tackle the canyon in the dark. I did this on my first float of Lake Creek and am fortunate to still be here. I have floated Lake Creek about 7 times or so and 5 days is IMO the perfect length of time to float it. My whole lousy canyon timing on my first float happened because by the time we started thinking, okay we'll pull over at the next decent looking camping spot, we had already passed them up. So we ended up starting into the canyon just as it was getting difficult to see. We ended up pulling over and tying off to a rock in the dark and just hanging out until day break. When it finally got light enough to see, we could see that we were only a couple hundred yards or so from the bottom of the canyon, then had plenty of good camping sites from there on down. I think I might have some good answers to many of your questions I just don't want to spend the time to type it all out. If you like you can pm me and I'll give you my #. Take care.

Power Drifter- I am new to doing a multiday float. I have been white water rafting a lot (Montana, Switzerland and Idaho) and I have floated Willow creek a few times. I have the basics of rafting down. I have been told by Alaska Raft and Kayak we should be good with this experience for June waterflow. They said it is 2-3 class at most.....??? I watched show on it yesterday on Alaska Outdoors and it did look like there are a ton of rocks!! My partner just bought a DVD of floating Lake Creek and it also came with a map with key fishing holes and good camping spots.

AK Troutbum- Thanks for the advise!! I am sure I will have a ton of question, I will think about them tonight and shoot ya a PM, thanks!!

Default it will keep you busy....

hein....,
    I did Lake Creek one time in late June 2007. That second or third day was mostly class lll and some class lV. The conditions of the middle river kept me much more busy than I had been expecting. Lake Creek had many more hazards and consistent "real rafting" conditions than I expected based on conversations with a few "experts". My only advise is that when I did it in 2007, I went left, clearly river-left... at evey decision point. Prior to the trip, I had predicted that my newby rafting buddies would get more oar time. But on that middle section, your most experienced rafter should be on the oars.

Rafting day #1 out of the lake, and rafting day #4 into the Yentna were simple flat-but-moving water class I rafting days.

The huge cottonwood trees and the giant ferns of Lower Lake Creek reminded me of a pre-historic scene, until a jet boat would roar past.

I look forward to rafting and fishing Lake Creek again. But like my first trip, nobody in my boat will touch the oars except me on the middle section.

Fishing was fair for 'bows, fair for Kings, with some Graying in two feeder creeks that both entered from river-right.

I'm surprised some of the rafting forum regulars have not contributed to this threaad. Perhaps they are tired of contributing the same info over and over again. You can find several old threads on Lake Creek on the forum, like back on 4/20/09....

Dennis

trueadventures is correct - folks are tired of talking about this trip. there is a dvd by a couple of guys from idaho - the duke brothers. it is informative and about all you need to know. but since i'm already typing...... i did this trip last summer at horribly low flows. aside from a couple of true class III+ rapids, the biggest concern a paddler has is hang ups. there are a lot of rocks that can push you onto a line that you don't want to be on. lots of little annoying hang ups and some spots that could be really time consuming and work intensive. keep your eyes downstream. if you can't boat scout and really pick lines you will spend a lot of time stuck on rocks. other than that, make sure you scout canyon rapids and have a game plan before you run it. pretty straight forward. last thing - this is a great trip and you are gonna have a blast. take care, abel6wt

Default video

I bought that video and almost fell asleep watching it. The filming was terrible, and the action video of the river was worse. I have not ran the river, but talking to people I trust, you are not going to find class IV whitewater unless it's a flood.
    I have heard people rate the canyon rapids of the Gulkana class IV, as well as Campground Eagle river, and Lake Creek. None of these are particulatry dangerous, your swims are not going to be that bad at normal flows,the waves are not big, and the drops not that abrupt. Read the American and international whitewater guide for river ratings, they have already been done by experts. A boater from Idaho for instance, would not rate our rivers as high as most local guidebooks do.Embick rates tougher than Jettmar, and Embick seemingly overrated alot of rivers because of environmental circumstance. People tend to think class III whitewater is just a tiny bit harder than class II and anything substantially harder has got to be class IV
    Class III whitewater can be fairly violent, and can require complicated maneuvers to successfully navigate the water. You can have abrupt ledge drops,large waves ,strong eddylines etc.,( but rarely have long dangerous swims, where rescue becomes an issue.)
    Just to make sure, for a smaller water example, the first drop on guardrail Willow Creek and the drop above are class IV, for bigger water try Lionshead at medium high water and is class IV, and the first two canyons of Sixmile are class IV at any normal flow.
    Here's my angle, somebody reads the canyon of the Gulkana is class IV, runs it and their a class IV boater. Nope!!!! they are probably going to get spanked on a real class IV river. False info can be dangerous If you overrate a river explain why, and note previous trips, so people can understand why you overrated the river. OTHERWISE!!!! I think it builds a false sense of security for unprepared boaters.
    See you on the water
    Mark

Thanks everyone, it has helped me out! I will check out the older posts and take some tips from the video. I took the boatsman course in Idaho which consisted of river rescue, reading the river and flipping the boat (raft) back over. Although, I got deployed before I got to do my river certification, I feel as long as we take our time, read the river and avoid those rocks the best we can, we will have a great time!! Anyone have any ideas on where to get the best map for Lake Creek would be?? I was thinking REI? Or any ideas on a good packing list for a 5 day to include a good food plan? I would like to bring a dutch oven, or would I be better just some Mountain House meals? Thanks for your knowledgeable advice!!

Smile Missed It

Boy, I think that trip was just on AK Outdoors on Sunday,4/11/10. Maybe you can get a tape of it? I was too busy watching them catch lots of fish to look at how the water was except for the BIG ROCKS they were slipping by. Looked like fun and the fishing was great.

Quote Originally Posted by heinhendge3 View Post
    Thanks everyone, it has helped me out! I will check out the older posts and take some tips from the video. I took the boatsman course in Idaho which consisted of river rescue, reading the river and flipping the boat (raft) back over. Although, I got deployed before I got to do my river certification, I feel as long as we take our time, read the river and avoid those rocks the best we can, we will have a great time!! Anyone have any ideas on where to get the best map for Lake Creek would be?? I was thinking REI? Or any ideas on a good packing list for a 5 day to include a good food plan? I would like to bring a dutch oven, or would I be better just some Mountain House meals? Thanks for your knowledgeable advice!!
    Go fat. Take the Dutch oven. Steak and eggs for breakfast beats any Mountain House hands down. Save your MH for the sheep hunts. This should be a very enjoyable trip, so I think you should make the most of it. Unless it requires up grading to a larger plane and that added expense is not doable, I say bring the kitchen sink. I go this route with all my float fishing trips and have yet to regret it. Also, don't forget the beer.

like troutbum said, don't skimp on this trip unless it means another flight. there are no portages and since water levels will still be up during your time period, gear weight won't be a problem. too many mountain houses in a row can seriously bum your trip out. day 4 and 5 on mountain houses only is a recipe for a dead trout(illegal, must be released) or grayling. bring a cooler with some fresh vegies and a meal or two with real meat. you can always do the later days of your trip on freeze dry. last bit of advice, make sure you are very, very clear on your pickup point on the yentna. this can be a confusing area(big, huge river, many islands and sandbars). have fun man, abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by abel6wt View Post
    last bit of advice, make sure you are very, very clear on your pickup point on the yentna. this can be a confusing area(big, huge river, many islands and sandbars). have fun man, abel6wt
    The map I was given for a pickup point was very confusing. I had no stress for five days until I got on the Yentna.

This was a super fun trip for my wife and I last August (first time on the river at I believe an average flow), and my wife, who is not comfortable in technical water, was able to row a lot of the time while I fished. She did get hung up a few times, but no major issues. Like any river, if the water were to start really cranking, it would make it more interesting for sure. These are just my thoughts based on one trip. Bring beer and the dutch oven.

heg, was the map hand drawn with an x to mark "the spot"? i bet i know who you flew with(rhymes with pillow chair). we actually got so confused that we pulled out too early, took our boat apart and then realized we were a 1/4 mile above the actual pick up spot. a raft guide helped us out by flagging down a buddy in a jon boat who ferried our stuff to the correct spot. he really saved our bacon and our sanity. have fun everyone, abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by abel6wt View Post
    (rhymes with pillow chair)
    That's pretty funny able6wt.

Able6wt, yes X did not mark the spot provided by Pillow Chair-I'm still laughing.... I actually, against my wife's judgment, floated down to the next island. I must have been looking rather confused/lost, so a guy in a jet boat pulled up by me and helped me out by towing me back up to the next island. I'm no orienteer, but that map sucked.

heg or able6x, (or anyone else) aside from the pickup point confusion, how do you rate pillow chair? what was the cost of your fly-in?

Thumbs up Oh Yes

Lake creek is an awesome trip 7 days plus mild rapids, and the rainbow fishing in awesome on the lower section. Bring some wood or a saw picking was slim in September.

Smile Lake Creek Boater

Many, many seasons guiding, floating, and fishing Lake Creek... started running it commercially as a boatman at the oars being the young teenager in bucket boats right on up to last summer at 41 in new SOTAR self-bailers. Even guide the ice and snow of winter on snowmobile tours. 14-41 makes for years of great float trips, still is, and probably always will be.

If interested in most reliable flight services, best flight-rates, boating/boat choices, camping, fishing, water character/rapids, 'Specific' GPS waypoints to plan trip... give a call.

Default Books?

Do you have Karen Jettmar's book? http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=375. She recommends maps: Talkeetna A-2, A-3, B-3; Tyonek D-3.

Andy Embick's Fast & Cold is hard to find, but has a good description. In "the Canyon" beginning at mile 30, particularly recommends scouting a large drop ("the Drop") because of potential log problems. Lake Creek gradient averages 23 ft/mile with flows 600-2,000 cfs, peaking in July.

Both Jettmar and Embick rate at least sections of Lake Creek III+.

Good luck.

6Xleech- I will track down a copy, thanks! Also, I have heard if we are going to do a 5 day float, we should roughly do about 12-14 miles a day, does that sound correct? I still haven't obtained a map of the river so I am not 100 percent on the exact total distance from the lake to the pick up? From the flight service we are taking, they say we won't even leave until the 4pm out of Anchorage on the "first day" of our float. Any thoughts Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast