Thread: Lake Creek

Default Lake Creek

Well I finally have to chance to do a float trip and a buddy and I are going to float Lake Creek from June 15th through the 20th. I have never been to lake creek and actually never have done a multiday float trip. I wanted to ping the community to see if I could get some good info on fishing lake creek, or any thoughts about the river. I was planning on bringing a 10Wt with lots of ESL's, Colorful Streamers, Nymphs, Sculpin, Leeches, and flesh flies for the kings and a 6 Wt for some Rainbows. Anybody have any advise on leader sizes or flies or any good info on fishing or floating Lake Creek???? Any insight will be greatly appriciated and make my probably once in a lifetime trip memorable, since I have twins on the way, haha, probably not going to get out much after they come in Sept Thanks!!!

Both rods are overkill I used an 8 for kings and my 5 for the greyling, rainbows and silvers. 5 day trip you will be doing 12 miles a day or stay 2 days in one spot and then a long day on the river. Had great luck using polar shrimp, egg sucking leaches and various flesh patterns. Dry flys for the greyling and a bead or egg pattern for the rainbows.

Mid June is still a little early for kings but you should hit a few in there. It is a great trip and we have several runs planned for Lake Creek this summer in July and August.

I'd fish the river with a 4 or a 3 for trout and grayling, they tend run pretty small. I'd bring a variety of attractor dries and nymphs for them. Also wooly buggers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sounds good, thanks for the advise everyone. I just picked up a nice 4wt that I am extremly accurate with and shoots great, so I will have to bring it now Sounds like I should just bring the typical variety of flies. My buddy doesn't fly fish, so he will be using a spin cast, what types of lures would he have luck with? I was thinking size 4 and 5 pixies, chartruese color, and same size spinners. Do you think he will have any luck? Or should he do the corkie route or roe? Thanks again!

well bait is illegal in lake creek so I wouldn't use roe

Can't go wrong with a single corkie or 12 mm bead, especially on a river like that that gets a ton of pressure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.