Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are everyones seed starts

Default How are everyones seed starts

Just wondering how everyone is doing with their seed starts

My tomatoes and peppers are doing great! My melons, cucumbers and onions are starting to sprout now. Just started some celery (late) and some cabbage and just a few squash (probably a little early). Will start the bulk of my squash in another week or two.

Are you starting them in the house, or do you have a heated greenhouse?

Sounds like you have a good start on them.

Man do I wish I had a heated greenhouse. Mine isn't heated, so only good from about the middle of May thru the summer.

I have all my starts in the house by a really sunny window that faces south. I have sun in my dinning room window from early morning until late in the afternoon so it is perfect for my starts. I must admit though, now that I have transplanted like 19 tomatoes and 18 peppers and then with 4 of the 72 seed starter packs going I am running out of room. Hopefully in the next couple of weeeks I will be able to transplant the melons and cucumbers so I can have one of the starter packs for my zucchini and squash and corn, but then I have even less room. Thinking I may need to build a pvc tiered shelf to set all my stuff on.

I've got over a dozen nice tomatoes and about 10 assorted peppers growing nicely. They will need to be transplanted into bigger containers soon. Also got a good amount of brassica going- cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale and bok choi. Will start another batch of those next week. Some of the herbs are popping up...cilantro, oregano, basil, summer savory, thyme, fennel and dill. Next week I'll start the squash and cucumbers and a few trays of lettuce. Once all these need the first transplant my bay window will be very full, then it will be time to open up the kitchen bay window for more room. That window faces west so only gets afternoon sun for now. After all the edibles are going it will be time to get some flowers started.

50 degrees today and bright sunshine, the plants are loving it!
    Me too!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I actually just started my plants on saturday. The wife and I planted tomatoes, green peppers, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, corn, kale, onions, cantilope, and watermellons. yes, I Know the water mellons and cantelope will be tough, but I thought it might be fun to try.
    We are planning to start our squash and pumpkins around the 1st of may.

Tomatoes are outgrowing the plant rack. Artichokes, cardoons, herbs, melons, peppers, leeks, chard and lettuce are all growing too much. The brassicas are doing very well - about five inches tall with several sets of leaves. Cannot wait to plant. Wish I could afford hot beds.

Default tomatoes

2 almost ripe microtoms
    Pink Cherry and Nichalayev cherrys beginning to set fruit
    Ornamental peppers getting buds too.
    Scared to leave my bedroom door open at night because of the pumpkins.

We have wood heat and I put the flats on shelves instead of the counter for the first time this year and It has accelerated their growth beyond manageable.

DESPERATE to get the greenhouse up and running!

I have been trying to keep my plants small this year and not transplant them as much as I usually do. But gotta get to it now. Once they get into some larger pots and containers they are really gonna go to town.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Just planted mine last week, except for the lettuce and kale, which I planted on Monday. About 1/3 of my zucchini and squash have germinated and almost all of my broccoli has sprouted. In only 3 days the vast majority of the lettuce and kale is up.

This is my first year gardening and I am very excited about it. I've only got two trays of starts going and they're at most a week old, but I feel like a farmer.

Started tomatoes this month and they are going crazy.

I 'spose the 40+ plants are going to overrun the greenhouse, but after canning 100+ quart jars of salsa last year me thinks that nothing will go to waste.

Nothing says "love" to the local neighborhood like a 32oz. jar of fullkurl's original salsa!
    Proud to be an American!

Wow, sounds like everyone is having a good time starting their stuff. Tomatoes and peppers are getting big now. First set of squash are coming along nicely. Strawberries are starting to flower. Onions still look small, but I've never tried them before. Had to redo my celery as the first set never sprouted and cabbabe is coming along well. Just started my second set of squash (straight neck and crook neck), head lettuce, 2 types of cucumbers, corn and zuchinni today.

Hopefully in another month, all will be ready to go outdoors. The tomatoes and some of the peppers and my first set of squash could probably go now, but they must be patient.

I did just build a hothouse for my tomatoes the past two days as my greenhouse was not big enough to house all my heat lovers! Man, I wish my husband was here instead of in Kodiak...oh well, I had more fun building it myself.

Glad to see everyones stuff is doing so well. Look forward to the updates!

I finally got most of my stuff started. Toms, peppers, sugar snaps, herbs, lettuce, spinach, and the rest are under 12 hour grow lights, 64 degrees, and 65% humidity.
    Does anyone grow gourds? I miss having gourds.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Herbs, melons, tomatoes, various sweet and hot peppers, broccoli, egg plants, various squash, and more, are all up and reaching. They're stretching a bit, telling me I could've upped the potassium-oriented organics, and slightly decreased the nitrogen a bit; it's an annual ordeal, it seems.

I've already transplanted the various squash plants, and two varieties of water melons. I have 10 remaining water melon plants to transplant, then I'll start transplanting the tomatoes and peppers fairly soon, then the herbs.

My daughter has taken up an old hobby of mine; that of growing giant rutabegas. She's recently planted this year's 'begas' indoors. We frequently get them larger than a football (some times almost twice that size), and surprisingly not pithy in their flesh. Of course, figuring out what to do with an 8 to 10 lb. rutabega can be challenging, but it's a unique hobby nonetheless, and it's always a kick in the pants to gift them to people..

Smile someone pead on my house!

Yesterday, I was preping one of our garden beds which happened to be next to the house and I found six pea plants about 5" tall already! Must have been some seeds the kids lost lastt year.

Quote Originally Posted by kevena View Post
    2 almost ripe microtoms
    Pink Cherry and Nichalayev cherrys beginning to set fruit
    Ornamental peppers getting buds too.
    Scared to leave my bedroom door open at night because of the pumpkins.

We have wood heat and I put the flats on shelves instead of the counter for the first time this year and It has accelerated their growth beyond manageable.

DESPERATE to get the greenhouse up and running!
    You and me too. We also have wood heat. Our greenhouse is still in the imagination stage, as in not built. I have 40+ tomatoes and cukes and peppers to get out of the house.

Most of the plants ar going good. They were getting a little spindly so we got 3 new grow lights and set them up yesterday. Hopefully that will solve the issue.
    Planning on planting squash and pumpkins this week.

Default Question?

I have not planted anything in years. This year I am working close to home for the first time in years and decided to grow some salad fixins on my deck. Today I bought 4 tumbler tomato starts and a couple dozen leaf lettuce starts, all are a few inches tall. The toms. I planted in fairly large baskets (1 each) and the lettuce I planted in planter boxes (1 row per planter about a couple inches apart). Living in Fairbanks I am thinking I should take them inside each night for at least the next couple of weeks but was thinking outside on the deck might be OK now during the day. Am I on track here, or is there something I am not taking into account?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

It's my understanding that most of the domestic plants we grow here become more or less dormant when the average temperature is 50-55 degrees f. or cooler. If you have a surface in the area you're considering that's especially suited to absorbing or containing the sun's heat, then you might put them there, but otherwise it's a bit cold yet, in my opinion.

The thought of hardening plants off early is appealing for a variety of reasons, but this time of year there's simply not the frequency of days that support good growth and health for plants. 'Nuther coupla' weeks should be a time to assess things further, though.

Staggering the planting of lettuce over a month or so may also help to insure a longer season of ripe lettuce, and help to prevent that ultimate moment in lettuce harvesting when gardeners might find themselves beggig friends, neighbors, and even complete strangers to, "Please take another head of lettuce!! I don't know what I'm going to do with it all!!"

(**Note: In my less-than-scientific recollection of many springs-gone-by here, when we get an outrageously warm early spring and rapid thaw, it's often followed by a cooler early summer, and a more damp/cool mid-summer. I'll acknowledge that particular belief, like many, may merely be a habit of cynical perspective, or even just a statement of basic respect for Murphy's Law, so I'll include that I'd love to be proven incorrect in that particular subjective observation.)

Lynch,

I would not leave your stuff out at night yet. Not sure where you are in Fairbanks, but I am in North Pole and a couple mornings last week, we were only a little over 20 degress when I got up at 5:30. I have started to put some stuff out during the day if it is going to be nice and warm and not overly windy. But by late afternoon I bring it all back in the house. May be a bit early to start hardening stuff off, but some of it is going in the greenhouse for me, so I think it should be ok.

For the lettuce..you may want to go to Lowes or Home Depot and grab you a couple of seed packs of leaf lettuce or the mixed salad greens. Like the previous person posted, stagger your plantings. Throw a few seeds in your planters and then wait a week and then put in a few more. If you plant it all at once, everything will be ready at the same time and it does seem to go to seed quick once ready. And those grow pretty quick, so you'll be ok, staggering the plantings. Just something to think about.

Default Thanks

After reading these posts, and looking some things up on the net, I decided to leave the tomatoes inside all day and night in a sunny window and I am going to put the lettuce out during the day, as long as it is nice. In a week it is going to get warmer so maybe then I will leave the tomatoes out during the day. Hopefully by the end of the month they will all be outside day and night. Good tip about the seeds too guys. Thanks.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast