Thread: NAHRA & UKC/HRC Hunt Test Question

Default NAHRA & UKC/HRC Hunt Test Question

As im new to this and im sure there are others as well, thought this would be a useful question for those of us who are unsure of the which organization's one has to be a member of to participate in NAHRA & UKC/HRC hunt tests any input be greatly appreciated.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

UKC/HRC tests are held by Interior Alaska Gun Dog Association and Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association.

NAHRA tests are held by Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The HRC will want you to register your dog in UKC for the passes to count towards a title. I know it's easy but don't know what it costs.

If you're not a member of NAHRA the hunt tests will cost you $5.00 more (Used to be $5, not sure now) I don't believe they'll give you a title unless you're a member but I could be wrong on this.

There are also AKC hunt tests in the summer. They'll want your dog registered in AKC to enter.

I'll pretty much guarantee that your dog and you will have fun no matter which one you go to. So try them all out.

The individual clubs..... RCA, AWRC, FRC and MSGDA would like for you to be members. It certainly helps to fund the events that they put on.
    AKC is a national orginization with local supporting clubs like RCA, AWRC and FRC. The dog owner doesn't need to be a member of AKC but the dog does need to be AKC registered to participate and enter events in AKC clubs.
    Now the HRC and NAHRA are also national orginizations.
    If you aren't a member then you will have to pay a little higher entry fee to participate in there events.
    To confuse you a bit more. HRC wants your dogs to be UKC registered in order for the points to go towards a title.
    NAHRA I think can be either. I'd have to recheck to be sure.

Thanks Baron, one question in regards to NAHRA if you arent a member they will charge more for the entry fee is my understanding, will they confer a title if you arent a member? Mind you this is just clarification as I already planned on registering with the UKC and most likely getting a lifetime membership with NAHRA as well as joining MSGDA and in the event I make it to Fairbanks suppose it only be right to become a member of the club up there also to support them.
    Jesse

Jesse, non NAHRA members pay and additional fee of $5.00 per test. NAHRA does not hold any titles back if the owner is not a NAHRA member as long as the dog is registered with an approved registry, usually AKC, but there are others as well. I attached a link to the NAHRA website and rule book.
    http://http://www.nahra.org/index.ph...t-us/rule-book

In regards to the HRC/UKC, I am still learning but I believe that in order to get your HRC title you must join/register with the UKC. Non HRC and UKC members pay a small fee to both organizations if you or your dog are not members and or registered.

If you can do I suggest joining all the orgainzations.

I have participated in picnic tests and training classes with the RCA and the AWRC, and found the people to be really great. My only negitive (and its not really negitive) comment would be that those clubs are more geared torward field trials (which isnt my cup of tea). The MSGDA is great. My dog and I participated in 3 hunt tests last year, and the people very very out going, and helped fill in training gaps with sound advice. I just became a member of MSGDA at the sportmans show, and I plan to participate in the field events this summer. I should also asdd that ALL of the clubs were very family freindly.

Whicheber club you choose to participate in, I would reccomend going to the picnic trial/fun days some of the clubs out on. This would give you a really good feeling about where to enter your dog, as well as what each clubs focus is. I know the RCA/AWRC is having a fun test on May 2nd, and MSGDA is having one on May 8th. Maybe someone else can chime in on the location of each, as I dont have that info handy.

I believe that the AWRC/RCA picnic test will be at the fairgrounds, and MSGDA's picnic test will be a Leroi Heavens Field in the valley. Check the clubs websites to confirm.

Thanks everyone, just wanted to be sure I get my ducks in a row here. I think Woody's got the right idea just check out each of the clubs and make the decision of which ones to become members of. While im not sure I will run field trials, one thing is for sure my pup isnt ready for field trials by any means, but he wont have any problems running hunt tests this year. Planning on going to MSGDA picnic test if my schedule allows for it.
    Jesse

The AKC clubs do hunt tests as well. They are to a little different standard, but the concept is very similar to the NAHRA hunt tests.

I really enjoy running NAHRA tests... Hopefully will be able to run the tests this yr. Now that I have a job which has me working weekends, it is much more up in the air.
    As Kody suggested, try joining as many clubs as you can. It is a lot of fun!
    Hopefully we will get to meet you at the NAHRA picnic test...

If you run events under different organizations, make sure you know the rules.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Rules & regulations plus a lot of other information can be found at:

AKC Hunt Tests - http://www.akc.org/events/hunting_te...vers/index.cfm

HRC Hunt Tests - http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/

NAHRA - Can't find rules online, but website is http://www.nahra.org/

AKC Field Trials - http://www.akc.org/events/field_tria...vers/index.cfm

It's best to read the rules of the "road" before you take a "drive" regardless of which brand of event you choose. A few things to remember -- paying entry fees does not equal a ribbon/passing score in hunt tests, have FUN, and hey, they are dogs, not robots. And even the best trained dogs can do the craziest things!

Karen

Here are the NAHRA rules and regulations link. http://www.nahra.org/index.php/about-us/rule-book

Default Birds for tests/picnics

Sunday was another learning day for us. Blue would not pick up the pigeon atthe WRC fun day. Does anyone know where I can get pheasant and or pigeon this week? I'd like to get real dead birds for working this week, before we go out to the MSGDA fun day and relive the moment....

Wished you lived a little closer to Tok...I have some ducks in the freezer...

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

We have a duck and he does great with it. I am not sure what he didn't like about the pigeon.

Give me a call. I have some frozen pigeons.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesmom View Post
    We have a duck and he does great with it. I am not sure what he didn't like about the pigeon.
    Last year my dog also refused the pigeon.

She took after dead ducks in 1 day of messing with them. It took her 5 days to pick up a pigeon. They just smell funny and a lot of dogs don't like them.