Thread: Drawing Sheep 140

Default Drawing Sheep 140

I drew a sheep tag in area 140 and I am quite excited to say the least. Does anyone have any experience with this hunt, or any sugestions on access. I own an airplane so I will burn some avgas this summer scouting it out. Being that this is a late season hunt. What can I expect for seasonal movement of the sheep

Default Ds140

I drew this tag in 2003, I gained access through Ft. Rich.. Walked up Arctic Valley up Snow hawk creek I think it was.. Got on a good moose trail. Busted little brush and made my way up and around the hill and gained access to the area that way.. I walked in on 30 Sept and out about 2pm on the 1st with a heavy load getting back to my truck about midnight.. I am sure their patterns change.. but it was pretty simple..good weather.. I believe it was a any sheep hunt.can't remember.. So you could hold out if the weather is good for a nice one.. Or take the first one that walks by..

Hoytguy

I have had this tag and I got on sheep very easily. Three rams and over 50 ewes within 8 hours of leaving the parking lot of Eklutna on bicycle. Bicycle with a kid trailer is a great way to get your gear back on the Eklutna trail. I'll send you a pm with more info.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I can't PM you. Lets just say we were in the first drainage you are allowed to hunt when you are heading east on the Eklutna Lake trail. We went straight up the west side of this drainage (no trail). You have a plane. Just scout and figure out where you need to go.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

ive hunted that season a couple times as well as the earlier season DS141. I will tell you this, get ahold of fish and game. There has been a significant decline in sheep in the eklutna area. winter kill and predation has hurt the number of sheep there. A little history.....my first hunt in the eklutna area was in the year 1999, then 2000, again in 2007, and last year in 2009. I also made another trip in there with a friend who drew the tag. Needless to say, I have spent a considerable amount of time in there. Last year I spent a week in there and literally seen about 1/2 the amount of sheep that I seen in my 4 previous time in that area. I did not see any OLD rams. many young rams, 1/2 up to 7/8 curl. and only one full curl. usually see about 4-6 full curls in that area in a weeks time. If you have the late season tag, Oct 1-10 I would start trying to figure out the sheep population counts by fish and game and start there. You have a large area to choose from from Pioneer peak all the way to the chugach moutains behind anchorage.

I was up near goat creek last year and there was a couple of legal shooters minus my double broomer,but that was a walk in, with the cub and your size of area I think you might find a better area there is still some monsters lurking around the chugach,there might not be as many but there are still there.Good luck to you wish I was out there this year!

Default Ditto

I can echo what AKBow said. I had the Eklutna tag in 2002--saw tons of sheep-lots of stalks--killed mine on the waning days. This past year I had the late season tag and opted out of Eklutna based on some advice from a guy who had flown it extensively about a week prior. I went in through Snowhawk and only saw a couple small rams. I've talked to lots of guys who hunt/photograph in the Chugach and many are reporting similar accounts. Sheep have taken a hit in the past few years. Bio's didn't reduce tags much this year though, so maybe they know something we don't? That said, I still applied there this year--so, maybe I am just having a case of sour grapes--seems pretty common this time of year.

Hey there Cub. I drew the same tag as well. Me and my buddy were trying to hook up with a plane so if you need help paying for gas let me know.

Default hiking

With plane access you should be able to figure out where the huntable sheep are pretty quick. My uncle had an any sheep archery tag last year. We went in in September and found sheep within 8 hour hike from the trailhead. He did not get a sheep, but we had only 4 days to hunt. We hunted the same rams for the 4 days and they never moved to our saddle. No way to stock them on the steep open mountain sides.

Some of the sheep I don't think that you could kill with a bow unless they move from their hidey holes.

I would also focus on trails leading to salt licks and water areas next time.

I also drew a DS240 as a nonresident. I've never hunted sheep before so this will be my first trip. I already have a local outfitter on the hook. I heard this is a challenging hunt to go on. Can't wait to pursue the white devil as some call them.

Hope everyone is getting in shape. I've been hiking as much as my fishing habit will allow. Has anyone been scouting? Like you would tell anyway. HEH HEH. I was just wondering if any of you might have a plane and if so could I tag along if I covered gas? Scouting on foot takes allot of time expecially when you have to work and fish on the weakends.