Thread: Kodiak hunters want a quality Skull mount?

Default Kodiak hunters want a quality Skull mount?

I just finished glueing the teeth in to my skull that Ken at Kodiak Bones and Bugs Taxidermy did for me. I pulled the teeth because I wanted the original tooth color and look. I like the funky orange teeth agains a white skull. You get nice white teeth otherwise. He did a great job at a reasonable price. He has done deer, elk, bear, bison and sheep for me and does a great job! Here are a few pics of the finished product.

I like it, looks very nice.

Steve

Good call on the teeth, turned out great. I have a deer skull in with him right now which should be done any time now, very fair on his prices and what looks to be quality work.

Default Beetles

I haven't had one done with beetles yet but like the look. Will have to give it a go. What did F&G give you for an age of that bear? Doesn't look like a old bear.....6 or 7 if I made a WAG??? Looks good.

Larry at Kodiak ADF&G said 9-10 years old and is a tad shy of 27"

Congrats on the bear and nice skull. What was the cost for the skull job?

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Congrats on the bear and nice skull. What was the cost for the skull job?
    Thanks and it was $175 which is very reasonable and just as cool of a trophy as the rug and 10 times cheaper!

Default Class Act

Just wanted to throw my two cents in because Ken is my next door neighbor and he's a real class act. He's been working with beetles for many years and in addition to cleaning skulls, he also provides beetles to those people wanting to start their own cleaning.

The pictures posted by the OP demonstrate the kind of quality work that Ken puts out. He's a busy man between his full time job and his beetle cleaning business, but he won't sacrifice his quality by over-extending himself.

Mike

Default Great Trophy!

I have never seen a bear skull that look that interesting before! That was a great idea to keep the original stain on the teeth. I really like the contrast that it creates. I will have to try that if I ever draw a permit down there...
    What is the turn around time on a skull when beetles are used?
    DJ

Turn around time is close to 6 months to do get it grease free and done correctly. Beetles ar far superior to bioling! It keep all the cool turbinate nose bones inside snout from being destroyed. Just all around a better product in my oponion. worth the wait and investment for a cool conversation piece and trophy!

Default nice

That is really nice thanks for posting the link to Ken's shop, and real good call on the teeth,

Anyone know before I go down there if you can still do the beetle thing after trying to boil it out some, or does it have to be fresh meat? Have a few fox skulls I'd like to do up nice for the boys.

Or recipes for finishing a boiling job?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The beetles don't need fresh meat, can take it to him like it is and he will finish off nicely.

Ken did a couple of deer skulls as European mounts for me in 2007. His work is very good and it is nice to have someone doing quality work in Kodiak to drop skulls off with and not worry about hauling them all over the state. His prices are reasonable.

After my son shot his black bear this spring I bought some bugs from Ken. He is extremely helpful getting you set up and the bugs do an amazing job! I have my griz skull in with them right now and as soon as thats finished I am going to start the degreasing process and then the whitening! I like those stained teath. I think I am going to do the same thing with ours! Thanks for the tip!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

ken does great work, easy to deal with too. several clients have left bear skulls at his place
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Was it hard to get the teeth out? I would like to do that if I get one this fall but am afraid of busting teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by dan g View Post
    Was it hard to get the teeth out? I would like to do that if I get one this fall but am afraid of busting teeth.
    Yeah its a pain in the *****. You have to do it after the flesh is off of it. PM me for alot more detail in interested

Anyone in Anchorage area with hungry beetles???