Thread: PFD's for the Zod on lakes and PWS?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default PFD's for the Zod on lakes and PWS?

Ok guys and gals, I am a looking for some savvy life jacket / pfd ideas…. Here is the plan. Two adults (230lbs and 150lbs) plus three kiddos (ages 2, 4, and 6) in a Zod MkII 15 footer. The water is gonna be lakes, fairly large rivers (think Yukon) PWS and Cook Inlet (Deep Creek). Keep in mind that we aint gonna be impersonating Navy Seals or anything wacky like that. I am a fair weather boater for sure and safety for the family is obviously paramount.

Now I have read a ton of posts about various pfd’s but they all seem geared towards floating rivers which I will not be doing (unless of course the engine goes TU….) and it seems there is a great deal of concern regarding pockets and extraneous gear attached to your PFD as being a safety issue were sweepers and other debris may be encountered. I cant help but feel that I want a PFD with gear storage and pockets for my particular application as I want to carry a flare gun, portable VHF, throw bag and some other essential survival gear on my person, and preferably attached to the PFD. Same goes for the wife’s set up. Also, as I am a bit of a “porker” I will be looking for really good flotation qualities.

As far as the kids PFD’s go, I really want top notch stuff…. Money spent here is truly no object. And their gear must have some sort of grab handle or lanyard that I can use to yard them back into the Zod if the worst happens.

Any suggestions or pointers would be most appreciated, and thanks in advance for your input!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Look into Mustang Survival. I don't like throwing out brand names but I really like them having worn the brand for over 6 years in the Coast Guard. They produce really tough products. They will have what you want. Also look into inflatable type PDF's. They provide lots of comfort and Mustang has 2 models that offer either 18 or 35 pounds of boyancy. I am not a rep. nor do I have anything to do with the company. I just like what they offer. At the sportsman's show yesterday I was looking at the vest they make. I would not reccomend the inflatable type vest for the kids...

I've had a couple Mustang PFD's for my daughter. Tough to find for a 2 year old. From about 5 or 6 on we've gotten the snap close vests with a crotch strap, floatation collar and a 'snatch' loop coming out of the collar. She is 10 now and her vest also has a 'D' ring in the front for a safety line to keep her on the boat if we take water down the deck.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

thanks for the pointers guys! I will look into those!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Types of PFD, I'm sure U have seen

Types of Life Jackets
    Within the three different kinds of life jackets, there are five basic classifications, or types:
    Type I – recommended for use in offshore or rough waters where rescue may be delayed; will turn an unconscious person over onto their back; available as inflatable or inherently buoyant personal floatation device; offers 22 lbs. and 34 lbs. of buoyancy.
    Type II – classic life jacket recommended for near shore boating activities where there is a chance of quick rescue; many designs and styles available for both children and adults; available as an inflatable, inherently buoyant, or hybrid personal floatation device; offers 7, 11, and 15.5 lbs. of buoyancy.
    Type III – floatation aid that is comfortable to wear, and comes in many styles suitable for varied boating activities for both children and adults; for use in calm waters in an area with a good chance of fast rescue; available as an inflatable, inherently buoyant, or hybrid floatation device; offers 9, 10, 11, 15.5 and 22.5 lbs of inherent buoyancy.
    Type IV – a throwable PFD required on boats 16 feet or longer; available in cushion or life ring style; offers 16.5, 20, and 32 lbs. of inherent buoyancy.
    Type V – special use PFDs such as work suits, work vests, and hybrid PFDs that combine internal floatation with inflation for added buoyancy; available as an inflatable, inherently buoyant, or hybrid floatation device; offers 7.5, 11, 15.5, 22, and 34 lbs. of buoyancy.
    Coast Guard Requirements:
    • All recreational boaters must carry at least one type (I, II, III, or V) of PFD for each person aboard, and it must be in serviceable condition and easily within reach

Default Good Whitewater ones

I would recommend, especially for the kids, that you invest in good whitewater, like Kayaker types, they have really excellent fit, fairly adjustable for working in and various sizes for you and wife,

but Most Importantly they fit well when adjusted and will float you well when in the water, Also maybe Second Most Important, they feel cool to wear, and warm but not too hot, (ventilated on the sides for serious paddlers) the point being....

Everyone Will Want To Wear Them, that's a pretty big deal for your kids when they older and cooler, and nobody wants something on that is uncomfortable, or looks goofy like the cheapest CG reg orange ones
    It'll be worth the money and effort to find good ones, places like REI would have them, take the kids along to try them on and pick cool color of their own, Really, or boating catalogs and online, Mustang probably makes really excellent type as recommended above, but go for good fit and style, well worth it to see your kids grabbing them eagerly before jumping in
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !