Thread: Lab Pup

Default Lab Pup

What is the easiest way to break a puppy from bitting? He is about 9 weeks old and loves to play(normal for a pup) but always bitting. I'm open to any suggestions or info. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here one more pic with him guarding the house!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the easiest way to break a puppy from bitting? He is about 9 weeks old and loves to play(normal for a pup) but always bitting. I'm open to any suggestions or info. Thanks
    Normal for pups of that age to be nippers, just be consistent in telling them No when they do it and smack them with a few fingers on the muzzle. If problem persists you may have to tell the pup No and roll the pups lips in and close his mouth gently, essentially making the pup bite his own lips. My pup was a nipper up until he lost his puppy teeth which usually happens between 4 and 5 months old.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Thanks for the info

Retriever pups are very mouthy. I think they explore everything with their mouth. They'll play with their mouth, eat with their mouth, and attack about everything with their mouth. That's pretty much normal retriever puppy behavior. It's not mean on their part, it's just the way puppies are.

You are the one who convinces them that mouthing people isn't allowed. It won't happen overnight but over time they'll get the idea.

One thing I do is when they bite me I curl their lower lip around a sharp puppy tooth. They don't like this and if you're consistant with it biting will extinguish over time. Another trick is when the puppy bites is to say, "Ouch," or some other word loudly. Pups will scream when another pup gets to rambunctious and they'll stop biting. Do not pull your hand away as pulling away from a pup with his teeth in you will just create a scratch. 'Course there isn't any way you'll raise a pup without some scratches on your hand.

I don't like to hit pups as it can make pups hand shy, and maybe fearful. But, if you have a rowdy 4 month old that's sometimes a good way to get your feelings about puppy biting people across to the pup.

I'm with Howard N on the "Ouch" method. And make sure pup has something available that it is allowed to bite on.

Good luck!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post

One thing I do is when they bite me I curl their lower lip around a sharp puppy tooth. They don't like this and if you're consistant with it biting will extinguish over time. Another trick is when the puppy bites is to say, "Ouch," or some other word loudly. Pups will scream when another pup gets to rambunctious and they'll stop biting. Do not pull your hand away as pulling away from a pup with his teeth in you will just create a scratch. 'Course there isn't any way you'll raise a pup without some scratches on your hand.
    Exactly what I did, when he bites his own lip and you yell "ouch" he gets the idea that it hurts, but without hurting him. Worked great for me.

BTW, dang good looking pup! Where'd ya get him?

Milo
    Thanks for the kind words about my pup(Ruger). I got him from a family here in Fairbanks. He is getting alot better with the bitting but we still have a ways to go. I am really enjoying him and I think we will be good buds for quiet awhile.

Who was your breeder? Im looking into getting a yellow lab this fall.

I bought him from a family that just had the one litter. Good luck on finding you a new buddy and the labs make great buddies.