Thread: pullout point on the Yukon

Default pullout point on the Yukon

Hello All,

Me and a couple of Australians are paddling down the Yukon this summer from Whitehorse to ???
    We will be trying to get to Anchorage with Canoes from some point along the Yukon.
    Could anyone recommend a good pullout point in Alaska. We would like to take the canoes with us.
    I heard there is a train from Fairbanks which seemed possible but how would we get to Fairbanks when on the Yukon and would this be the best option?
    One last question, can you put canoes on the train in Alaska?
    I take it canoes for Alaskans are like surfboards to an aussie....

Thanks in advance

Hesh

If you want road access, Eagle, Circle and the Yukon River bridge where the Elliot Hwy crosses the Yukon.

I would love to do that trip. If you are planning on using the public use cabins on the Yukon, you should research to see if they have repaired them after the flooding.

If you take out at the Yukon/ Elliot Bridge, it is a straight shot into Fairbanks. You should be able to hire someone to pick you there.

Several people have had good luck with packable canoes, such as the Ally Pack. That might make the logistics much easier.

Good Luck

Steve

I doubt very much that you'll be able to get a full sized canoe on the train. You'll need to call the Alaska Railroad to find out for sure. If it were me I would look into one of the inflatable canoes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The Yukon above Whitehorse [source lakes] are far more interesting IMO.... I consider the Yukon below Circle to be blah for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    The Yukon above Whitehorse [source lakes] are far more interesting IMO.... I consider the Yukon below Circle to be blah for the most part.
    Below Circle you have to go through the Yukon Flats before you get to the bridge. If I were you, I would take out at Eagle, or Circle at the latest.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Talk to Kanoe People in Whitehorse. They have lots of information and most likely could help you with your arrangements.

I asked a few years ago about canoes on the train and was told no. They do not have the cargo space during the summer tourist season.
    Depending upon how much time you wanted to spend on the river, taking out in Dawson would be easy but a shorter trip. There is road access to Eagle and Circle so transportation could most likely be arranged out to Fairbanks and you could simply rent a vehicle to transport them and yourselves to Anchorage. The haul road bridge is an option to take out. There is a bus that goes to Fairbanks but they do not transport canoes, just people!

To answer Steve, the cabins in Yukon Charley appeared intact last summer. We stayed in one on our way through.

Is there one website to view all public use cabins in Alaska. I have done a google search and it seams like they are controlled by various local parks/councils etc

Quote Originally Posted by hesh View Post
    Is there one website to view all public use cabins in Alaska. I have done a google search and it seams like they are controlled by various local parks/councils etc
    I am not aware of a central site to view cabins. You are correct, they are controlled by different agencies depending upon location.

The cabins on the Yukon between Eagle and Circle are controlled by Yukon Charley National Park. They are free and first come first serve.

http://www.nps.gov/yuch/planyourvisi...yukonriver.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/yuch/planyourvisi...cusecabins.htm

Here are NPS website links to public use cabins in the preserve, including pictures!, and other info on floating the Yukon through the preserve.

Plan a side trip when you hit Coal Creek to look at the old dredge that's open for public visits, and some time to look around Slaven's Roadhouse when you're there. It's a great trip that I've done a few times in different combinations of put-ins,take outs over the last 25 years. Send a pm if you want some more ideas.

"Paddling the Yukon River and its Tributaries" is a guidebook to canoeing or kayaking the entire Yukon River. It discusses the logistics of pull-out points and boat transportation, especially getting boats off the river, in detail. The guidebook is available through the Alaska Outdoors website:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=105

It is actually relatively inexpensive to fly your boat out of larger villages on cargo planes and into Anchorage.

Thanks everyone for the info... this forum is fantastic... a easy and great way to sift through all the details required for planning a trip. I'll be back no doubt with more questions before long.

Hesh

Default Teslin to the haul road bridge..

I would think that would be a great trip..
    when you reach the haul road bridge, there is a truck stop boat launch Motel Restaurant Gift shop combo place..
    I bet you could hitch a ride into Squarebanks ( Fairbanks) from there no problem.. lots of trucks coming off the slope and you could find a friendly trucker to take you all the way to anchorage if he is going that way unloaded.. Either way, you could make it happen.. and thats a good place to pull out...
    max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If you want road access, Eagle, Circle and the Yukon River bridge where the Elliot Hwy crosses the Yukon.

I would love to do that trip. If you are planning on using the public use cabins on the Yukon, you should research to see if they have repaired them after the flooding.

If you take out at the Yukon/ Elliot Bridge, it is a straight shot into Fairbanks. You should be able to hire someone to pick you there.

Several people have had good luck with packable canoes, such as the Ally Pack. That might make the logistics much easier.

Good Luck

Steve
    stid,
    Not to quibble but the Elliott Highway doesn't cross the Yukon. The Dalton does. The Elliott ends at Manley Hot Springs. Granted, the Elliott/Dalton intersection gives the appearance that it's one continuous road. To stay on the Elliott you take the hard left towards Minto/Manley.

Hesh your best bet is to find a shuttle service that runs from Circle to Fairbanks. I know there is a fellow that runs photography expeditions from Fairbanks to Deadhorse in a 16 passanger van. This is the link (I think) http://www.northernalaska.com/aurora.cfm

You'd have to float all the way to the Yukon bridge but deadheading back to Fairbanks from there would be easier due to higher commercial traffic.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I will give this photographer guy an email and see if he can do pickups or if he could recommend someone in Fairbanks. We will have 3 kayaks so it won't be so easy to hitch I imagine...

Hi

GoNorth in Fairbanks can pick you up !

Fairbanks, AK
    Phone: (907) 479-7272.
    Toll Free: 1-866-236-7272
    E mail: GoNorth@alaska.net

Rolf and his team are very nice people!

http://www.gonorth-alaska.com/

My Catamaran at the Yukon bridge / Dalton HWY.
    Regards Chris http://www.long-expeditions.de