Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barney's Backpack question?

Default Barney's Backpack question?

I just bought a Barney's frame backpack. I have two options for bags- the Pinnacle at 7500+ cubic inches or the Hunter pack at 5500+ cubic inches. The sales manager said he sells 10 Hunter bags for every 1 Pinnacle bag, but I value all the opinions you guys have, too. As a side note, he saidn you have to take off the meat sheld to put on the pinnacle bag. What is best and why?

I too have a Barney's frame with no bag.
    My plan is to put my Cabells's bag that's about "Hunter" size on. I have heard many Barneys users say the prefer the hunter because it puts the load a little higher (but not too high).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The Pinnacle is nice because you have all the extra room to carry things out and enough sinch straps to avoid your weight being too low carrying things in. The Hunter is addequite for most people/situations. The larger bag comes into its own in two situations. Packing a big brown bear hide and packing a big moose quarter in the bag. With the Hunter you may need to pack those items on the frame...may? If packing on the frame is a big deal to you and you don't like putting meat and hides in your bag get the hunter.

Brett

Default shelf

I would lose the shelf and sissy bar no matter which pack you have. Moose quarters fit in the pinnacle bag easier than the hunter. Just like Brett said. Bear hides too. I strapped stuff all over my hunter pack for years, and now I think........Why??? Just get a big one and you'll be happy.

I secound ak-hunt. The best thing I did was move up to a large Barneys pack.

I've got the pinnacle kevlar. no complaints here. It is easy to "underpack" it, but pretty hard to overpack the hunter.

What are you going to use it for? For moose I would go w/ the hunter bag and just drop the bag off for hauling quarters. For sheep/goats/ alpine bear I would go pinnacle. Well actually for me I would go with a different pack for mountain hunting but that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What are you going to use it for? For moose I would go w/ the hunter bag and just drop the bag off for hauling quarters. For sheep/goats/ alpine bear I would go pinnacle.
    A lot of wisdom in that post. I agree with the pinnacle on sheep and goat. Who wants to go back up to get your bag because you "ONLY pack meat on the frame"? Not me!!! For moose or BB if you pack on the frame the hunter is the way to go. For moose and BB if you pack meat in the bag go with the pinnacle.

Brett

Question What bag then?

What are you going to use it for? For moose I would go w/ the hunter bag and just drop the bag off for hauling quarters. For sheep/goats/ alpine bear I would go pinnacle. Well actually for me I would go with a different pack for mountain hunting but that is just me.
    So what pack would you recommend for going up the mountain?
    I am looking for a pack for goat and deer hunting on Kodiak. One of the biggest problems I have with packs is getting caught in the alders. I normally hunt with someone else so the load is always split.

I keep hearing about the barney packs but $600.00 is a little rich for my blood. Might end up settling for a Cabelas extreme light pack.

If $600 is too much then I don't have any honest suggestions for you. To find a quality internal frame pack that will hold up like am Ext frame pack they will always be even more expensive. If 600 is borderline out of your budget then the barneys bag would be a great all-around AK hunting pack for you.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    So what pack would you recommend for going up the mountain?
    I am looking for a pack for goat and deer hunting on Kodiak. One of the biggest problems I have with packs is getting caught in the alders. I normally hunt with someone else so the load is always split.

I keep hearing about the barney packs but $600.00 is a little rich for my blood. Might end up settling for a Cabelas extreme light pack.
    What's more expensive? A Barney's bag once at $600 or a Cabelas bag 2-4 times at $300-400? The two bags/frames durability aren't comparable. That said if you don't have $600 you don't have it. Just a thought.

Brett

As strange as it may sound the, I enjoy my badlands 2200 pack for day trips for deer and moose. I packed out a front quarter of last year's moose with my 2200, and lots of deer out on kodiak. I wnat the barneys pack for an all around pack or after I get back to the boat/plane/car with my smaller pack then I can go out agian with the bigger pack. I would also use it if I was going overnight or on an exclusive remote hunt.

Default Hunter over the Pinnacle

Had both hunter and the Pinnacle........................sold my pinnacle and kept the hunter, I packed my moose out on multiple trips with my hunter bag, plus several bear hides, I used my pinnacle to pack out my other sheep, and gear and I didn't like the way it sits on my back w/o the meat shelf (it carries the weight of the load a little low for me) I used my hunter, to pack out my last years sheep and all my gear and I liked it alot better..........thus why they sell more Hunters than pinnacles, I'm guessing.

Default I would

just get the HUNTER bag. Good all around bag for everything. I may buy the pinnacle at some point as I like "stuffing" my pack full and sometimes need the extra room for more weight!

My buddy used to use an internal frame until he broke down and bought a barney's, now he is sold on the barney's.

I also have a bag from an old camp trails pack that I had. It fits right on the barney's frame. I use that when I am hauling bloody moose and bears in the pack. The hunter bag is for mountain hunting of sheep, goats, alpine deer.

The Barneys bag is definitely the bag to have as far as external frames go. If you are an internal frame guy the Mystery Ranch packs are great. If you are an ultrlight internal guy then the only horse in the race is a Dan Mchale custom pack $$$$$$... For me I don't mind an external for packing meat or going cross country but when it comes to teetering around the rugged mountains I like the way an internal becomes "part of you".

When I owned a barneys pack, I had the Pinnacle bag and if I bought another one I would switch to the hunter. My biggest gripe about the Pinnacle wasn't anything to do with the load shelf. It was the fact that the bag was just one giant bag. IF you wanted something out of it, then you better have prepositioned it near the top, or be prepared to unload 1/2 the bag! If they added a fish mouth zipper to the back of the pinnacle pack it would be a HUGE improvement!

Default bull

Look into the Bullpacs I saw them in Portland, they will never break!

Default packing

I'm with you on this, but I'm guessing that adding compartments will add weight. I stuff all my stuff into stuff sacks (I like the OR helium dry bags), nothing is in there just floating around. I use the top, side and back compartments for smaller things like snacks for the day, spotting scope, etc. This wasn't really a problem for me on my two hunts with it last year.

My first hunt with it in 2008 was a pain. After getting a bunch of those small lightweight dry bags, everything was a breeze.

It was the fact that the bag was just one giant bag. IF you wanted something out of it, then you better have prepositioned it near the top, or be prepared to unload 1/2 the bag! If they added a fish mouth zipper to the back of the pinnacle pack it would be a HUGE improvement!

If they added a fish mouth zipper to the back of the pinnacle pack it would be a HUGE improvement![/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. That would be a HUGE plus.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Barneys Hunter Pack

Maybe this will help.........................this hunter pack is only half full.............Now you can just decide on what color you want, black kevlar or camo....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have two barneys frames and a hunter pack. So far it has been great and I really like how comfortable it is and how it rides when I am packing it full. I may end up getting a pinnacle pack for the 2nd frame, but I would like to find one and try it out with alot of weight in it first. I will probably just keep the 2nd frame for my son/wife/friend to help me pack out critters. Whichever you decide to go with I think you will be very happy!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast