Thread: Kimber Talkeetna - Initial Range Report

Default Kimber Talkeetna - Initial Range Report

After receiving the wrong Talley bases, and some assistance from this forum I was finally successful in the proper mount of my Swarovski 1-6x24 illuminated scope on my Christmas present. So after months of anticipation the weather and my schedule provided an opportunity to take my Talkeetna to the range and put some 260 grain Nosler’s downrange. Despite the Swarovski whacking me squarely on my nose during my only off-hand shot (its got significantly more recoil than my 7mm Remington Magnum!) I was extremely pleased with its initial performance. I bore sighted it at home which placed the 1st shot at 25 yards one inch low . This came as some surprise as my lazer bore sight hasn’t been anything to brag about. Anyway, I put a new target at 100 yards (pictured) and proceeded to zero the big rig at 2.5” high which should put it dead on at 200 yards with the Nosler loads. I found the Talkeetna’s trigger to be quite crisp and smooth. I’ve got further sighting and shooting to accomplish, but at this point I’m quite pleased.
    WhiteFish

Maybe I missed it. What caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

375 H&H magnum.

WhiteFish

WF,

My Talkeetna shoots very well....only tried 300 TBBC and 270 TSX.....no need to try anything else.

Is it an extended eye relief scope?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Is it an extended eye relief scope?

Brett

No it is not the extended eye (EE) relief model. I actually wanted the EE model, but it would have required some sort of extended mounts...possibly rail mounts. As it is now, the Swarovski is mounted as far forward as it can be on the Talleys. I'm not too overly concerned with the first "scope kiss" as I wasn't leaning into the rifle as I should have been largely because I didn't expect the degree of recoil. I intend to buck up a bit in my future firings. If that doesn't work I'll be recognizable as the guy with the broken nose and black eye.

WhiteFish

Default +++

+1 for the Talkeetna....Love mine
    In the Bush

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together! Looks like you've got a shooter there, congrats. I don't have .375 but I sure do like my Kimber. hhmmmmm....