Thread: .338 Sheep Bullet?

Question .338 Sheep Bullet?

Since I can't afford a lightweight, my 338WM will be coming with me this year for sheep (and goats if I draw!). For you folks that hunt sheep with the 338, what bullets do you recommend? I was leaning toward a bonded bullet like the 180gr Accubond or 210gr Scirocco, because I was thinking they might expand a bit quicker and impart more shock, and hopefully result in "4 feet in the air". I was thinking the A-Frame, Barnes TSX, and Partition might be a bit too "controlled" for the lighter game and just pass right through without a large wound channel. I am planning on working up a 250gr A-Frame load for moose, but am still debating on a sheep load. What do you folks think would be best? Thanks. -JR

Smile 338 Bullet

Choose the bullet that your rifle will be the most accurate with at longer ranges ( sheep hunting tends to be at longer ranges). Both the Accubond and Swift Sircrro will have better Ballistic Coeffecients and retain velocity better down range, resulting in flatter tragectories. sheep don't take a whole lot of killing like bears and moose, so the bullet doesn't have to be as massive. Practice will improve your chances alot.

they all work and none are to much and none are to little, any .338 load will be fine. i've had clients take a few with the 250 grain stuff and it works just fine, don't worry about lack of exspansion on sheep they'll die fairly easy. put a hole in the engine and it'll work fine. your trying to kill it anyway, don't worry about the hole. worry about hitting it first.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Barnes

I used a 210 grain barnes xxx this summer. Good long range trajectory, and still a decent sized bullet with great weight retention (Barnes bullets) incase you run into brown bear. I do have some concerns up expansion, particularly at really long and really close ranges but I haven't had a problem yet and it worked well on the sheep at about 250yds.

Luke

Default Sheep bullet 338

I killed my first and only sheep this Sept with a 210 Nosler partition.. as I was also carrying a grizzly tag. Just got thru transfering the video onto a DVD..got the kill shot, and the downhill roll..GREAT MEMORY... shot was around 250 yds.. killed it certifiable grave-yard dead.. this handload was grouping at 3/4 inch at 100 yds.. HTH..Les

Quote Originally Posted by Les Staley View Post
    I killed my first and only sheep this Sept with a 210 Nosler partition.. as I was also carrying a grizzly tag. Just got thru transfering the video onto a DVD..got the kill shot, and the downhill roll..GREAT MEMORY... shot was around 250 yds.. killed it certifiable grave-yard dead.. this handload was grouping at 3/4 inch at 100 yds.. HTH..Les
    Is this yours? If not, one similar with the downhill roll.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqbV...related&search=
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau