Thread: drew dm829 and db245 need direction

Default drew dm829 and db245 need direction

if any one could give me any info on these two hunts it would be very helpfull.

thanks,

What are the areas these hunts are in?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Koyokuk moose and Kodiak Brown bear.

My experience on Kodiak points me to Andrews Air or Seahawk Air. My buddies who guide on Kodiak use Andrews, I used Seahawk with great success. Either operation should be able to answer who the registered guide is that is working your draw area. I would try contacting him. Some don't like the competition, but I think it's courteous to let them know you are going to be in the area. Some guides are downright helpful if you approach it right.

For the Koyokuk moose...do you have a boat? If you don't, Charlie Green seems to get the most thumbs up for boat transportation in that area.

Either way, it's going to be an expensive year for you
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Congrats Waylon

I have used Charlie Green's transportation service a few years back for Koyukuk moose hunt and I would definitely recommend him. He is based out of Galena. Also do contact Glenn Stout, the area biologist, as he is full of good information and very helpful.

Other options I have seen people use are to drive your own boat down river from the road system or flying in to Galena w/ your own inflatable zodiac and an outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    I have used Charlie Green's transportation service a few years back for Koyukuk moose hunt and I would definitely recommend him. He is based out of Galena. Also do contact Glenn Stout, the area biologist, as he is full of good information and very helpful.

Other options I have seen people use are to drive your own boat down river from the road system or flying in to Galena w/ your own inflatable zodiac and an outboard.
    I second this. I also used Charlie’s services a couple years ago and found him to be very reliable and accommodating. He's not cheap, but nothing up there is. Koyukuk moose and Kodiak bear, man you got yourself into one heck of a predicament. I bet there are a few people out there that would love to have your problems.

When I first saw your post, my initial thought was if I had your tags and could only afford one hunt it would be the moose hunt. After looking at the area of your bear tag though, I had second thoughts. I hunted deer in that area several years ago and there are a LOT of bears around there.

Default Db249

is zachar bay nice place to hunt bear and deer.
    federal land no tresspasser fee either.
    Good luck on your draws
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

The beauty of your two hunts is that they are at different times. I drew a eklutna sheep and a etolin elk. I really want an Elk and My brother drew a matching sheep Don't know how many more hunting seasons are left in both of us. But we have been hunting eklutna for 30+ years together kind of a tradition. The sheep is Archery just a hard decision with both hunts at the same time. Maybe I can kill a shhep quick. Don't miss the bear hunt there is nothing like a kodiak bear hunt. Moose are everywhere but kodiak browns are only on kodiak.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

the moose hunt dm829 is in unit 24

...and the upper part of 21.

BTW..I forgot to mention this last night. You are a non-resident with that moose permit, and you have a relative that's going to guide you on the bear hunt? If so, how much do they know about the areas?

For the moose hunt the area for DM829 is controlled access with no transportation by aircraft. That means you have to have a boat. If you don't have a boat you are going to need to rent one from Charlie Green in Galena.

Are you ready to go to Kodiak? You've only got until May 15th on that one.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

the bear hunt is next spring. my brother has lived in fairbanks for 4 years and does not know the moose area. i live in oregon and have never hunted moose i read about the no fly thing i am trying to figure out what we are doing as early as possible. my brother has the resident tag as well.