Thread: 300 Weatherby 130 Grain TSX

Default 300 Weatherby 130 Grain TSX

I found a couple of boxes and was thinking about using them for blackies. I read a pile of reviews and the gist I am getting is that they are not a good choice on deer size game but critters such as elk, bear, moose it's a good choice. I am thinking that the 130 will certainly give me adequate expansion with pass through on blackies. Should I go to the 165's? If I should then I'll have to stick with my Nosler 180's since I can't find 165 TSX's anywhere. I am looking for good expansion with a clean pass through. Never shot these let alone used them on game.

Default just curious...

Why do the reviews say they are OK for elk, bear, and such but not for deer? Seems to me it would be the other way around, with such a light-for-caliber bullet.

My advice would be, if your rifle shoots the 180 Noslers well, I would just stick with them. I don't think you would gain much, if anything, by going to a 130 grain TSX. Since the .300 Wby shoots so fast already, I don't think the additional velocity of the 130 grain bullet would make up for the fact that it is so much lighter. Just my opinion...

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be much better off on a BB with a heavier bullet and perhaps a softer bullet as well. Don't get me wrong- the TSX is a great bullet but I think 130gr (and now 110gr) at .300 Wea. velocity is an odd combo for blackies and a lot of other stuff too. I've looked at the reviews and I've got to admit the velocity with this bullet is amazing but I worry about bullet performance at 3500fps even given the Barnes monolithic construction.

The last blackie I field dressed and skinned was shot by a friend with a 165gr 30-06 Ballistic Tip (wouldn't be my first choice BTW). The bullet wrecked both shoulders, the boiler room and is still whistling across the tundra for all I know. Bear was DRT.

Of the choices mentioned I'd take Nosler 180s any day in a .300.

TSX are fine from deer to cape buffalo and I've shot from deer to cape buffalo witht them! What you shoot with them depends on the bullet weight and cartridge. I'm sure 130s would work, but why not go with 165 or 180? Much more versitile for that cartridge in my oppinion.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Why do the reviews say they are OK for elk, bear, and such but not for deer? Seems to me it would be the other way around, with such a light-for-caliber bullet.
    I believe it had to do with how hard the slug is and that it just punches holes in deer size critters. Now, he could have been using a large bullet in a large caliber which certainly would punch holes in deer. There is a big difference between a 100 grain pill from a 243 and a 220 grain pill from a 300 Weatherby when it comes to expansion on smaller game.

shot a nice black bear at 30 feet distance with a .264 ultramag with a 120 grain barnes xlc, muzzle velocity of nearly 3,700 fps. Complete penetration and I've never seen an animal go limp and collapse so quickly without a spine shot. This was a lung shot and the hydrostatic pressure actually caused chunks of lung/internals to spray out the entrance hole. I've never seen anything like it before. Penetration is never a problem with barnes bullets and the faster they go the better they perform. I would not be concerned with using lighter than normal barnes bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by filmit View Post
    shot a nice black bear at 30 feet distance with a .264 ultramag with a 120 grain barnes xlc, muzzle velocity of nearly 3,700 fps. Complete penetration and I've never seen an animal go limp and collapse so quickly without a spine shot. This was a lung shot and the hydrostatic pressure actually caused chunks of lung/internals to spray out the entrance hole. I've never seen anything like it before. Penetration is never a problem with barnes bullets and the faster they go the better they perform. I would not be concerned with using lighter than normal barnes bullets.
    I have a 264. and love it! I also have a 260 and use 100 grain ballistic tips for whitetails. This load does tremendous damage which is why I was thinking that a harder 130 TSX might be the ticket on blackies. The smaller slug and higher speeds should hold together and give me good controlled expansion with a pass through. That is of course as long as I don't have to take out a lot of bone.

One thing that has not been brought up is that depending on where you will be hunting, you could have a run in with one of the brown fuzzies. Would you rather have the 130's or heavier? Pretty clear to me.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    One thing that has not been brought up is that depending on where you will be hunting, you could have a run in with one of the brown fuzzies. Would you rather have the 130's or heavier? Pretty clear to me.
    That is definitely a concern when I am out and about. In this case we will be out on the Sound so those furry little brown buggers shouldn't be a problem. I have some special 220 grain pills for them..

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    That is definitely a concern when I am out and about. In this case we will be out on the Sound so those furry little brown buggers shouldn't be a problem. I have some special 220 grain pills for them..
    Spring bears and shrimp. That is hard to beat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Spring bears and shrimp. That is hard to beat!
    That's the plan... I will have some ol'Bay in my pack

Well, I am going to give them a try and I am determined to kill a blackie so I will post my findings on the damage.. I am so determined I even book marked this thread so I can easily find it when the day comes. Pat the wife on the ass and kiss the kids good bye! See ya when I have the tag filled.