Thread: Galena Transporters?

Default Galena Transporters?

I drew a DM830 late season Koyukuk moose tag and want to find out the best way to access the area. Does anyone know of transporters in Galena? I view this as a once-in-a-lifetime tag and want make sure I find the best way to access the area.

Only one that I know of is Charlie Green. Since you can't fly in that area for moose, the only way to access it is by boat. Charlie's # is 656-1601. Man, whatever you do, don't let this tag go to waste.

Default Bruce Werba

Bruce Werba based out of Holy Cross runs a killer moose operation. Perhaps he can help with names also. 907-476-7225

http://www.alaskapike.com/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

If you can't find someone in Galena, you may want to contact the village office in Nulato to see if they have someone that can run you up the Koykuk. Just make sure they're reputable...kind of an oxymoron...nevermind.
    Like troutbum said....these moose are huge, don't let the opportunity go to waste.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Default Transpoter

Use Charlie Green(Galena) at the number below. Oustanding person, has jet boats to rent or can just drop you off. I hunt this area every year give me a pm if you need advise. Good luck.

Default Tommy Kriska / Pat Madros Sr.

Tommy Kriska of Fairbanks and Koyukuk has also worked as a transporter up Three Day Slough.

Pat Madros Sr. of Nulato can also get you up there. He is a one of a kind dude. Virgil Umphenhour of Fairbanks Interior Fish Smokers( Santa's Smokers) or whatever it is can get you a hook up.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default Charlie Green

Has a big Peregrine with a drop down bow and a 250 Opti hanging on the back. That guy can run big loads hard. I mean that boat is nuts, and I love boats.
    He'll also rent out a skiff with a tiller handle Yamaha that converts to a jet if needed. Great boat to hunt the river with, and he had another smaller inboard too.
    Seems I recall meeting a client by the name of Greg up a no name river in one of Charlie's skiffs. We both surprised the dog mess out of each other. I was in a place I might not should have been with my 22' Alweld and he was pounding down river with a load. We both looked pretty surprised.
    Charlie seemed squared away every time I saw him. And I never talked to a client that was not happy with him.

Talking All the great advice

Thank you for all the great advice, I just booked with Charlie Green from Galena and I'm so stoked!! Now the planning and waiting begins

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by wasillahunter View Post
    Thank you for all the great advice, I just booked with Charlie Green from Galena and I'm so stoked!! Now the planning and waiting begins

Gary
    You won't be disappointed. Have a great hunt.

Like Troutbum, Charlie is the way to go. Be prepared to hear the ef word once or twice. Charlie is extremeley smart about this area.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Like Troutbum, Charlie is the way to go. Be prepared to hear the ef word once or twice. Charlie is extremeley smart about this area.
    Oh, come on now, I think this statement is a little misleading. Hell, he'd loose close to 50% of his vocabulary if he couldn't use that word.