Thread: Mat-Su Pike in mid to late May

Default Mat-Su Pike in mid to late May

I have been wanting to fish for pike for some time and this year I am going to make it happen. Would fishing in mid to late May be alright or is that too early?

Just wondering if there are any decent places to fish for pike on the road system in the Mat-Su. Or would I be better off making the hike into Red Shirt or other lakes in that area?

Talked to the fish and game guys at the Sportsman show yesterday, but they tend to overstate the quality of fishing in a given lake. Every body of water I asked them about had "Awesome pike fishing".

Not looking for a huge pike, I just want to give fishing for them a try. Have no boat or canoe, just a float tube and my feet to get me there.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I have been wanting to fish for pike for some time and this year I am going to make it happen. Would fishing in mid to late May be alright or is that too early?.
    The water will just be starting to warm up. I can't think of better time to be out fishing for pike.

Just wondering if there are any decent places to fish for pike on the road system in the Mat-Su. Or would I be better off making the hike into Red Shirt or other lakes in that area?
    You might as well go to Redshirt. Most other places are ok at best. Redshirt is really the only lake with a good population.

Talked to the fish and game guys at the Sportsman show yesterday, but they tend to overstate the quality of fishing in a given lake. Every body of water I asked them about had "Awesome pike fishing".
    That's a bold faced lie if I have ever heard one, but definetly NOT surprised. They'll tell anybody anything to get them to go out and catch and kill pike. I wish I could have been there to laugh at him and point out the error of his ways. There are some really good pike fishing lakes if you know how to get to them.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wink

Not looking for a huge pike, I just want to give fishing for them a try. Have no boat or canoe, just a float tube and my feet to get me there.
    And to think you PAID for this info!!! What were you thinking? What were they thinking?

Good thing you don't want a "huge pike", because what you can reasonably expect to get in this region with your resources are mediocre sized pike at best. Redshirt will provide what you are looking for.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

anyone want to give up some good lakes to fly into for pike? I flew in a few years ago to a lake on the west side of the range past lake clark and had a blast, but have never been back there. anything closer to fly into would be great.

Not sure when their season begins, but Tippecanoe rents canoes and keeps some at Redshirt Lake.

I've used the float tube on some of the lakes and if it's big water your legs are going to get tired! And when the wind blows the wrong way even more fun. Some of the Nancy Lakes (east of the road?) have pike and you can fish with your float tube. Haven't tried Redshirt Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Not sure when their season begins, but Tippecanoe rents canoes and keeps some at Redshirt Lake.

I've used the float tube on some of the lakes and if it's big water your legs are going to get tired! And when the wind blows the wrong way even more fun. Some of the Nancy Lakes (east of the road?) have pike and you can fish with your float tube. Haven't tried Redshirt Lake.
    Been trying to get a canoe, but the cash is always in short supply when I run across a good deal. May have to look into the rental thing.

I may take my tube into Red Shirt and try some of the coves and such. I never get too far out on bigger lakes and tend to stick close to shore where most of the action is anyway.

The Sportsman show was not a complete loss for me. I won a new dip net!

Would lures or herring be the better method to use early season?
    Last edited by bilder; 04-12-2010 at 16:04. Reason: Spelling
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I would stick with lures. I have tried the herring thing, with no success. Frog patterns and jointed rappalas have worked the best for me.

Lol, I would disagree there. I fish redshirt every spring and never walk out to it w/o some bait. Maybe that's just me? Sometimes nothing works but bait. I've fished all day w/o results and finally thrown some herring under a bobber and had great success.

I'd rather catch a HUGE pike on a topwater fly...
    I'd like to catch anysize pike on a lure....
    I'll not feel bad at all to catch a pike on bait either.

I'd take both. Herring and some bobbers don't take up much room. I know once I walk that far I'm not going back to the truck until I'm done.

The lures mentioned were great ones. I like a couple spoons in the tackle box as well. Daredevil is famous for a reason. I like a bucktail jigs too. (I like white ones or black ones), Big bladed spinners can work in stained waters.
    Last edited by Akbrownsfan; 04-12-2010 at 21:36. Reason: added that I like the small (3inch) herring packs not the bigger 6inch or more herring.)

Water temp is really what dictates bait vs artificials. Mid may and the water is still real chilly I'd go bait... but when that water warms up you can't beat a golden rapala.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Lol, I would disagree there. I fish redshirt every spring and never walk out to it w/o some bait. Maybe that's just me? Sometimes nothing works but bait. I've fished all day w/o results and finally thrown some herring under a bobber and had great success.

I'd rather catch a HUGE pike on a topwater fly...
    I'd like to catch anysize pike on a lure....
    I'll not feel bad at all to catch a pike on bait either.

I'd take both. Herring and some bobbers don't take up much room. I know once I walk that far I'm not going back to the truck until I'm done.

The lures mentioned were great ones. I like a couple spoons in the tackle box as well. Daredevil is famous for a reason. I like a bucktail jigs too. (I like white ones or black ones), Big bladed spinners can work in stained waters.[/QUOTE]

Not saying bait won't work, just never has for me.
    Last edited by MMcLaughlin; 04-13-2010 at 11:26. Reason: Errors