Thread: foot pumps

Default foot pumps

looking into getting one, what are the pros and cons

Below is the pump I got last year. Built like a brick shet house. The name is Bigfoot Footbellows pump.

http://www.clavey.com/product_info.p...products_id=83

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i knew you had one dan, does it deflate also

Don't believe the Clavey deflates, but none of the foot pumps deflate WELL. Their springs aren't strong enough. A hand pump is best for that.

Default big foot pump

I have one for sale at my booth at the SPORTSMAN SHOW in ben bokey, if you want to take a look.
    Goo
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Quote Originally Posted by mski View Post
    i knew you had one dan, does it deflate also
    Jim is correct of course, this pump does not deflate. But at 270 lbs, I find rolling on the raft does a great job

If I were you, I would find Goo at the show. He is salt of the earth and sold me my Sotar. These Big Foot pumps are top shelf. Researched this subject high and low as we often take remote float trips and I want a pump I can count on. I got the larger K-Pump (200 perhaps) and the Big Foot pump. Embarrassed, but have not used the K-Pump. Might be able to deflate with that model, not sure. In either case, the K-pump makes a good top off pump.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Pros and cons

Pros would be lighter, more compact. Cons would be they take longer to inflate a raft, and I don't think any of them deflate very well. I have a big (6" diameter) heavy Carlisle hand pump that is pretty cumbersome, but it sure moves a lot of air in a short period of time. I'm no where near the size of Dan, but I still find it a lot quicker to just lay on the pontoons to deflate, then just fold in half and roll up.

Any of you guys know if that pump will inflate an older Avon inflatable raft? Thanks!

Default BIG FOOT pump

The big foot pump is as a AVON pump on steroids. Same design. I sold AVONS back in the 70's and loved that old pump, but way too much $ for their pumps these days. The big foot does a great job on our stiff SOTAR urethane fabric. One i have is aver 25 yrs. old and still going. Bob Carlson is a long time friend of mine and have used his pumps too. just takes up way too much space for me. For what its worth.
    Goo

Default Faster?

I haven't tried the Carlisle pump, so I can't compare the two, but I know I can completely inflate my 14ft round boat with one of Goo's pumps in around ten minutes without breaking a sweat. I've used dual action hand pumps extensively in the past, and they work, but my back is always sore about halfway through.

I use a 12 volt pump on the Kenai most of the time, so I can be getting my gear ready while the raft is inflating, but Goo's pump is faster than the electric as well, if I really need speed.

With my AIRE, there's no need to pump the air out of it either. I just fold it in thirds and roll it up.

The Bigfoot is a good, solid, all-around pump. I'm happy with mine.

Default Foot vs Hand Pumps...

Although not yet asked....What are rthe PRO / CON differences between using a foot pump vs a hand pump....(both usually have double action, pump up or deflate...)

Foot Pump- easier to use, letting larger muscle groups of legs and Glut. Max. do the work. My choice for bush trips. I do like to pump all the air out of the rafts after by bush trips so that they are easier to ship via Northern Air Cargo.

Hand Pump- harder on the shoulders, (and my) lower back. My choice for road trips with somebody else along (with a strong, young back) to pump.

In the bush I bring a foot pump and two hoses, along with electrical tape. My hoses seem to split open easily.

dennis

I also prefer foot pumps to the double action hand pumps. Foot pumps are far easier most of the time. The large hand pumps work quite well though. Too bad they're so large. Where foot pumps don't work is when you're in the water, and the only place to set the pump is in the water with you. I like to bring one of each.