Thread: hull extension

Lightbulb hull extension

I dont know what im talking about about just curios. I have A 25 wooldridge classic. What happens if you weld say a foot long or so hull extion the full width of the hull and going under the jet. Would it just cause a bunch of drag or is it just like adding another foot to the boat if you match the hull design? I was just thinking its a cheap way also to get more planing surface out of a 22 footer. Maybe better floatation for hauling big loads.

You could just add trim tabs, probably much cheaper too.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Cheap fix yes. If you run shallow the trim tabs are usually the first thing to contact the bottom and wipe 'em out. Food for thought.
    BK

Anyone know if hull extenders / floatation pods have been stuck on the back of a Sport Jon?

Off the cuff, it seems like just the ticket picking the back up and getting on plane more rapidly.

Default Pods

I welded pods on our 1872 seaark last month, huge difference, so far all positive. Thought about trim tabs/and hull extentions, however they only work we moving. IMO pods are the way to go.

Smile pods

I think pods are the way to go also. I added them to my 16' sled they are great. All the advantages of tabs but better.

Default a couple questions:

Been thinking seriously about adding to a 16' G3

Anyone out here have properly fitted pods that would not recommend them?

To those who have had pods built/installed, who, where and how much?

What did you gain for your investment?

Thanks,
    Matt

Karolds here in Fairbanks did a great job of welding them up for me. I fabed up the pieces and that saved some time for the welder.
    So far its been the best mod I have done to date for my boat.
    The boat floats flatter, gets on step quicker, stays on step at a lower speed and will carry more weight.

I have a heavy 4Stroke on a lift, and the setback from the lift really affected the hole shot and the boats attitude when drifting.

I angled mine up some from the bottom of the boat, and I think that is important to keep them from acting like a trim tab and pushing the bow down. Every hull is different and the Only G-3 I have had any experience with, had a propensity for proposing. It was a 18 footer.....Hope this helps

Default Pods

I built and welded mine on myself, ran mine straight with the bottom. Needed to get the bow down. Works perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaxxer View Post
    I built and welded mine on myself, ran mine straight with the bottom. Needed to get the bow down. Works perfectly
    Thats the way to do if you have a bow light boat or one that wants to porpoise, mine is more sensitive to bow steering, so I didnt want the pods to push the bow down.........

Default yes you can

works just like you were thinking. Another added benefit is you can have the top half of large round stock welded to the extension plate at one end and to bracing near the swim step at the other. If you do it right, your reverse bucket will meet up perfectly with these "reverse extensions" when it is dropped. You can also have a slight hook designed into the hull extension as you want your boat to stay flat when jumping on step quickly and to aid in carrying heavy loads as it keeps you on step much like a trim tab at slower speed/RPM. Your top speed doesn't matter anyway unless you're rich and like to waste gas. In that case, your bow will dig a little at WOT.

Does anyone have a pic of there pods? I have a set of trim tabs but am reluctant to drill holes in my boat. especially with the screws that come in the kit. Bolts would work 100% better.

Big thumbs-up on the pods; we have 'em on a 16' Jon w/25 4 stroke and they work great; bow hardly rises at all on the hole shot and makes getting in/out of the boat pretty easy, they're welded on and heavy-duty enough to stand on.

Added benefit big-time: While fishing reds, we clean them on the river. Used to suck as it'd be hard to find a decent flat place, but I applied 3M non-skid tape to the tops of the pods and poof, perfect fish-cleaning station! Fish don't slide off when boats/wakes go by, mess stays OUT of the boat, and standing in the river and working on the pods is not back-breaking! I've got pics some where, I'll find them and post if I can figure it out!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Does anyone have a pic of there pods? I have a set of trim tabs but am reluctant to drill holes in my boat. especially with the screws that come in the kit. Bolts would work 100% better.
    Some pics, they work very well, except I should have made them 3-4 inches taller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I dont know what im talking about about just curios. I have A 25 wooldridge classic. What happens if you weld say a foot long or so hull extion the full width of the hull and going under the jet. Would it just cause a bunch of drag or is it just like adding another foot to the boat if you match the hull design? I was just thinking its a cheap way also to get more planing surface out of a 22 footer. Maybe better floatation for hauling big loads.
    I had a 24' Wooldridge wide body classic with a 460, 10" Hamilton (241). When leaving Galena with a 10 day camp, 475 gal of fuel, and 15 gal of water, i used my trim tabs to get on step every year. I would call Glenn Wooldridge @ 1-206-722-8998 see what he has to say about extenders. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Some pics, they work very well, except I should have made them 3-4 inches taller.
    AKGramps- Do your pods supply more floatation as well? Looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandbrett View Post
    AKGramps- Do your pods supply more floatation as well? Looks nice.
    Absolutey!!!
    That was the whole idea, From my estimation about 250 pounds more.....
    TR

Great "custom" engine cowling - LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Great "custom" engine cowling - LMAO!
    HA.........! yer the first to notice.......... couldnt help it...........!
    TR

That's awsome! I can't believe I didn't recognize the cowling before. Been staring at the pods to much. I think I will be looking at the pod option.