Thread: Onion Bay? Bears??

Default Onion Bay? Bears??

So I did a search and have found a little info about Onion Bay on Raspberry Island but it mostly has to do with elk. I drew a bear permit..... What are my chances if I hunt in Onion Bay? I may try and hunt from my boat (ferry from homer) but I did just e-mail Seahawk air to see what they would recommened.

Kodiakzack- I saw in another thread you have a cabin there.... Your too new of a member so I can't PM you but any info you have would be great.

I grew up set netting out there with my family, I actually haven't spent a ton of time out there recently, aside from the deer hunt last year. There was a bear hanging around near the cabin our first day, but I am pretty sure it was there taking a gut pile near by. We have not seen them near us very often, although there are alot of people around there in the summer time. There's a creek on the east side of the bay that pink salmon spawn in at the end of august, and that often attracts bears. I've seen them on the beaches in Kupreanof Strait quite a bit. There was a guy that used to have a cabin there that guided, Dennis Lattery. He has a book with a few stories about bear hunting around there - Hunts and Homefires. It probably wouldn't be a bad resource. I've heard estimates of up to 50 bears on the island, but that seems high. I imagine the area biologist would be of some help also. If you want shoot me an email zach.h.hill at gmail dot com and I can give you some more info. I'm headed out on the boat so may not respond immediately. Hope this helps.

Default Bear & Onion Bay

Was on Raspberry last Oct. Saw sign of a BIG bear near Onion Bay (claw marks way the heck up trees, tore up and destroyed trees, etc...). Saw a smaller, but still good sized, bear on the beach right before dark. It hung around a while.
    Crossed the saddle, and went up into the next ridge north of there, close to Raspberry Strait and found the remains of an elk kill that a bear had got a hold of. I don't know how much meat that guy recovered, but it couldn't have been much after the bear was done with his kill.

v/r

salcha star road

Birch from Raspberry island remote camps is at the sportsmans show he might have some ideas for you.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author