Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pepper spray for bear?

Default Which pepper spray for bear?

Hi guys,
    I need a recommendation for pepper spray to be used against bears.

I am going to hike in areas where firearms are not allowed, and I want to know which is the best pepper spray, the stronger, the most powerful distance shooter.

Also if you have ideas in others method of defense against bears, your input will be appreciated.

Question Where are you hiking?

I didn't know there were areas where firearms weren't allowed to be carried while simply hiking (for defense). A lot of the state parks won't let you "discharge" or hunt with firearms, but in a DLP situation I don't know if they would have a problem with it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Firearms are prohibited in National Parks though.

Your right, but there are however a few exceptions. One of them being kenai Fjords National Park. There are others as well but Denali is not one of them. There is also a bill in congress, introduced by former Senator Allen of Virginia, that would allow the carriage of arms in all national parks for protection, as a good amount of them have become cesspools of criminal activity throughout the nation.

This is from the NPS web site...

Kenai Fjords National Park

Firearms

It is legal to possess a firearm anywhere in the park in accordance with all other applicable state and federal laws. This is different than the rule in most Lower 48 National Park areas, but is allowed here for protection from bears and other dangerous wildlife. Hunting is strictly prohibited within the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Firearms are prohibited in National Parks though.

I'm not sure that I would bother with pepper spray, but it depends on the area you will be in. Maybe a machete or Bowie knife would be better, or a flare gun. Could you carry a crossbow? Has anybody sued the Park Service yet for restricting one's right to protect themselves?

From what I read about bear spray, you need to get quite close before the spray is effective. When you're that close, you are within one second from getting killed if the bear has a mind to work you over or eat you.

If firearms are not allowed, I would carry a 15" to 25" sword in a back sheath. If attacked, you could hold it out and let the bruin run into it. It would also come in handy for fending off other unfriendly critters. Maybe still try the spray, but have the sword handy if it doesn't work.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

I have also heard that I will not be allowed to carry pepper spray in baggage on a commercial flight.

So I think that I am limited to get what I can find in the sporting goods store at the place of landing.

I would like to know which are considered the best, second best, and even third best, as I will have to take what is available.

In the Adirondack mountains of NY I have a fishing shack. The place is loaded with bears (must be the berry patches) and the trip down to the river (20 minutes) is a sure way to encounter one.
    I must be made out of molasses because I always enconter them in my path, and some are not so agreeable in giving me the right of way.

As I encounter them at night (before daylight) and after dark (when I am returning), I have found that a powerful flashlight will scare them away better than anything.
    For a year, I was using a Surefire M-6 (500 lumens, 20 mintes run on six 123's batteries), but the price of batteries ($12 for 20 minutes) was driving me into the poor house.

I developed a flashlight based on the host of a 2 D, that uses rechargeable AA Nimhs batteries and is good for 40 minutes run at 720 lumens, more than the power of a one million candlepower spotlight.
    That solutioned both my bear problem and the cost of the batteries.

But now I will be hiking during the day and the flashlight will be of not use, what I need to know, is about the bear spray and what other means of defense against bears are used in your area, (that will not involve a firearm).

Also I would like to know if flash bangs are legal to posses for hikers, and what are the regulations about carrying a machete.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Juancho

As far as I am aware, any blade or knife is GTG, maybe a battle axe?

Default good luck

Man, good luck w/ spray. I have seen a video of a bear chewing on a can of it while it sprayed all over the show, and others where they roll in it or rub against it if it is on a tree. It may be better than nothing, though, but use it as a last resort (no pun intended). It sounds like you are pretty familiar w/ the beasts, so use your experience first.

Glad to say I've never been up against one, but I hear a pepper spray could just piss them off.

I suggest you try not getting near them in the first place! And don't run away from them.

All the regular stuff like don't leave food open out and don't be so quiet that you accidentally sneak up on them... use a bear canister...

I've heard from a number of people who ran into one, just didn't move, and the bear just loped off after a bit.

Nothing like asking an honest question and getting tons of useless answers. Check out the link below. That's what we carry in addition to your firearms.

http://www.udap.com/

Here is a link to a comparison test of bear sprays from Backpacker magazine:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/artic...3__1_2,00.html

Some info from USGS - Alaska Science Center

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

Hope this helps.

Folks,

"Juancho" is not interested in buying pepper spray. "Juancho" wants to sell you a flashlight; he's all over the 'Net under various pseudonyms, on various hunting and firearms forums.

If he wants to challenge that statement, I'll be happy to provide the proof here. I'm guessing that he won't.

He does seem suspicious, interjecting the flashlight idea into a pepper spray thread. If he has a product to sell, he should be honest and straightforward about it and advertise on this site.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag_300 View Post
    He does seem suspicious, interjecting the flashlight idea into a pepper spray thread. If he has a product to sell, he should be honest and straightforward about it and advertise on this site.
    Yup, we'll see where this goes.

Jauncho, if this is the case and you wish to advertise on this site please contact the webmaster. If not just speak up and say so!

Thank You,
    Perry
    Moderator- Gear Forum

I am interested in carrying pepper spray for defense against bears, that I have the Black Bear Flashlights Company have nothing to do with my question.

eidsvolling is obviously one of those individuals that doens't like me in others forums, specially in CPF, I don't think that I should be persecuted because I also sell flashlights on the net.

I haven't offer to sell anything here, but of course if somebody is interested in the BOREALIS flashlight, I will respond to a P.M.

And to you eidsvolling, you should joint the others gossipmongers on CPF and get the rat AWARD.

Juancho

"Juancho," your point might make a little more sense if I actually knew what CPF is, much less ever seen it.

Now that "Juancho" has managed to put both his company name and his flashlight brand in a thread ostensibly about pepper spray, here's my proof for the rest of you.

Google the words "Borealis" and "flashlight." You will find that "Juancho" (aka "black bear") has been a very, very busy promoter of his flashlight. This often features his slightly garbled tale of a bear-infested, hazardous walk to his cabin. The cabin is occasionally in the Adirondacks and occasionally not, depending on which forum he's abusing at the moment.

Which is EXACTLY what he's doing here as well.

I have ton's of black bear experience, up close and personal. While sometimes I feel uderprotected with my pepper spray what am I gonna do with a freaking flashlight. I already have a Surefire flashlight that will not only blind myself but will start a fire in a pinch. I sure wouldn't trust it to blind a bear.

I can just hear the gossip in the "bear circles" Run towards the light, run towards the light......

Default bear spray...

I have no experience with bear spray....That said, if I were in California, hiking/mtn. biking on wooded trails, I would be sure to atleast carry bear spray....Here in Ak, I haven't heard of anyone stopping a bear attack w/ pepper spray...correct me if I've missed some....

However, a year and half ago, a very experienced Alaskan couple - kayaking the HulaHula River on the North Slope...and doing everything by the rules...food and cooking away from tent site...carrying a rifle for defense, etc...was attacked and killed in their tent in the night by a grizzly hunting for a meal...Asleep and surprised, they had no chance to respond with their rifle and the bear got a meal.

I'm of the opinion that a dog - well behaveved, obedience trained and taught that barking is for an intruder, not for fun - would have given those folks enough warning that they could have defended themselves...not a loose dog but one that is teathered in camp, particularly at night....

A friend of mine takes his Chesapeak to hunting camp...you can't get w/in 100 yards of his camp w/o setting off the alarm....It ran off a black bear from his meat pole this year....

I have Ak huskies and a Border Collie...I'm planning to train the collie to ride in my canoe w/o being disruptive - he already does what he's told, but wants to herd the boat's waves and gets excited...(Border Collies are nuts. but fun and useful)....many guides/outfitters in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc, take dogs with their pack strings - usually Border Collies and Blue Healers - for early warning and hazing intruders....That's why our species formed an alliance w/ dogs thousands of years ago.

That what I think....What do others think?

eidsvolling,

i know what CPF is, I have been a member since February 2004 and I have 1417 posts, all of them about serious flashlights issues with NO GOSSIP in them.

Obviously you are using THIS forum trying to discredit me because you have some hidden agenda.

I can see that other people are not interested in your GOSSIP and lies (My cabin IS in the Adirondacks) and I commend the members of this forum for not allowing to be distracted by somebody that is obviously attacking ME, and abusing this forum to do so.

I hope a moderator step on it as FLAMMING is always a policy on all forums.

Juancho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast